overgrown beak

Guest jodie

hi

i am worried about sparkys beak as everytime he lands on my hand he bites and draws blood nearly every time

i read that to him he might not be biting me hard but his beak may be overgrown,

it is very pointy at the end, he has a cuttle fish but never bites it he just sleeps on it,

should i take him to the vet? im worried that the shock of having his beak trimmed might kill him.

i cant get any pictures up on here to show you.

• Member ID:  198
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

Your budgies' beak should be pointy on the end. It's rare that a healthy bird's beak becomes overgrown as they usually keep it the right length by themselves. If it looks to you that the top part extends much farther below the bottom, I would have your vet check him out. You might go to the Budgie Picture forum and look at some of the pictures of everyone else's birds and compare the beaks to yours to see if they look much the same. He's probably fine. :)

If he's drawing blood I'm guessing he knows how hard he is biting...Is there a pattern to when he does it? Is it just when he's out of his cage, or every time you put your hand near?

i let him out all day and he just flies to me and bites toes or fingers or ears and anything he can get a grip on!

i cant see a pattern though, he is a naughty bird though, he bites everything! maybe hes just playful

• Member ID:  198
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

How old is he?

Guest oscarchik101

i've heard and from my expirience, too, come to think of it, that hens bite a LOT harder... :) i dont know what to say about her biting you though. maybe its an internal problem? my hen had a tumor in her ear canal, so her balance was always off, but we didnt firgure it out for like 2 years...