• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Oh my goodness what gorgous spangles - I MUST STEAL!!!

You have names?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Oh my goodness what gorgous spangles - I MUST STEAL!!!

You have names?

No names as yet. I will keep three. I have nearly worked out the sexes. My double factor is a girl I think. Baby number one is so sleek, like satin, and an adventurer. Baby number two is a cuddlepot. Baby number three is sweet as sweet. Number four is just a green budgie but seems better than average somehow. Baby number five is trailing the field but spangling up nicely. A top mother and very lovely babies. Best I have had I would say apart from Bubbles and Sugar. Maybe babies 2, 3 and 5 are female and the others boys ?

Edited by budgiebird

• Member ID:  1,641

No names as yet. I will keep three. I have nearly worked out the sexes. My double factor is a girl I think. Baby number one is so sleek, like satin, and an adventurer. Baby number two is a cuddlepot. Baby number three is sweet as sweet. Number four is just a green budgie but seems better than average somehow. Baby number five is trailing the field but spangling up nicely. A top mother and very lovely babies. Best I have had I would say apart from Bubbles and Sugar. Maybe babies 2, 3 and 5 are female and the others boys ?

Well you have some names worked out there if you want to use your descriptions :P

I agree your doublefactor, looks like a girl she is gorgous - Sweet, Sweetie, Honey

Baby 1 - reminds me of Bubbles color, again I agree with you on a great lot of babies - so if you keep her can she be on "new" Bubbles for Lovey, not that she would ever be replaced and this one looks boy- Names: Satin, Sleek

Baby 2 - look like a Bubba (Laughing out loud) look what a chunk, looks boy? I see some white on the nostrils but not alot so maybe girl? Teddy for Teddybear, Cuddles, Bubba

Baby 4 - he was a foster yes? I can't remember (Laughing out loud) - looks boy- anyways Specks, Speckles, Freckles

Baby 5 - totally looks girl, Trenny, Lynnie, Spangles (how original uhh...:)), Jangles, Bangles,

Phew !! :P Had a scary moment. Couldn't get back on the forum for awhile....and thought it was happening again. Thanks for those name suggestions Elly. I can use some of them. I like Teddy and Freckles and others. I had a thought about naming the golden girl GOLDY, as some of the other names I have used already for over 100 budgies. Its getting harder to pick so need all the help I can get. I will examine the babies more closely so I am sure of boy from girl and I have coloured plastic split rings to put on them to tell them apart. I will keep the double factor girl, a female spangle, and hopefully another female spangle if there are any.....maybe the boy too....oh, thats four isnt it. Getting harder to part with babies.

I was in the aviary feeding the budgies tonight when Max (double factor dominant pied...father of Ciaras remaining one baby ) came flying full pelt down to the front of the aviary....miscalculated and hit the mesh and broke his neck. Just like that. He dropped like a stone, wings outspread. He looked like an angel spread out over the groundcover....and he was gone forever. Ken and I looked at each other, dumbfounded :) ....we both said the same thing. Wouldn't have happened in a smaller aviary. :( I miss him, even though he was a scoundrel to the women budgies and had three or four girls on the go at one time...... :)AXX040x.jpg

Edited by budgiebird

I like Goldie.

Oh man I wonder if there is something you can put on the aviary sides to help them judge better and see it. With Bubbles she did the same thing, was it the sameway? Did they hit the aviary wall like in the same location? Meaning top, middle bottom? Maybe you can find where it happens the most and put something there. Is this where the sun is coming from? Blinding them? Trying to think of whys and solutions.

Karen, I am so sorry :)

sidenote: you can change some of the names around to more girl or boy later example: Teddie for girl Teddy for boy. :P

I like Goldie.

Oh man I wonder if there is something you can put on the aviary sides to help them judge better and see it. With Bubbles she did the same thing, was it the sameway? Did they hit the aviary wall like in the same location? Meaning top, middle bottom? Maybe you can find where it happens the most and put something there. Is this where the sun is coming from? Blinding them? Trying to think of whys and solutions.

Karen, I am so sorry :)

sidenote: you can change some of the names around to more girl or boy later example: Teddie for girl Teddy for boy. :)

Different location where Max hit the aviary mesh to where Bubbles died. It seems to happen when they are feeling the most free.....zooming around in flocks of 5 or more flying fast from one end of the aviary to the other. Not a blinding sun thing. Could be them doing a quick shift sideways to avoid another budgie or just having too much fun to pay attention. Bubbles hit a solid wall and Max hit a mesh one. Kitty who did a similar thing, hit a fence too. Maybe mirrors everywhere so they can avoid the "other budgie" coming at them ? I don't know. They acchieve speed in a large aviary....maybe I must divide up the aviary a bit more. it's very sad :P

do you know anyone with a large aviary with similar issues? I am thinking there is maybe something that you can put on the sides of the aviary to help them with the depth but you are right if they are avoiding another budgie there may not be a solution but dividing it up.

No, I don't know anyone with aviaries like ours. There are large aviaries at the bird dealer places but they are usually just sand floor and dead tree trunks in there with large parrots occupying the space. They would fly slower than my budgies I think. I may have to put some dividing walls in our aviary but would that just give them something else to crash into.....I don't know. Percentage wise I have had 4 birds out of 100 that have crashed into something that has taken their life. The only positive here is that these birds experience on a daily basis a form of freedom not too many budgies do. I don't have any fat budgies. :)444044.jpg THIS PHOTO SHOWS ONLY HALF THE DEPTH OF THE AVIARY....THERE IS JUST AS MUCH SPACE BEHIND ME THE PHOTOGRAPHER AS IS IN FRONT.

Edited by budgiebird

absolutely gorgeous is there a vine that is safe for budgies that you can grow on the aviary fences? that would give it more depth I can see how they do it, I can barely see the fence.

absolutely gorgeous is there a vine that is safe for budgies that you can grow on the aviary fences? that would give it more depth I can see how they do it, I can barely see the fence.

Anything that obscures their view to the exterior would also stop me seeing in to make sure all is well. I will experiment with some reflective hanging things just before the mesh and see what happens. Trial and error.

understand that err...solutions at time.

How about hanging baskets of some sort? With safe plants or even fake one. At different level, from the top in the middle?

names chosen

Number one WALLACE....named for a friend who died from aids/ also william wallace the hero from braveheart the movie

Number two TEDDIE.....named for LOVEY

Number three GOLDIE.....cos she is

Number four BIGGLES....cos he reminds me of Biggles from the books. Looks like he is all set to fly a biplane

Number five SANSIA....for a good friend who died at age 12 in a horseriding accident on her fathers racehorse.

understand that err...solutions at time.

How about hanging baskets of some sort? With safe plants or even fake one. At different level, from the top in the middle?

Even safe ones get eaten by budgies. You should see whats left of the palms and groundcovers. Fake may work as I have some to try. We will nut it out in the end I am sure :)

Edited by budgiebird

• Member ID:  1,917
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

So sorry that you have lost another budgie. What a gorgeous set up you have. I know we have seen pics before but I would love to see more if you get a chance sometime. The babies are darling!

• Member ID:  1,930
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,440
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  10,220

OH NO KAREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I havenot been on this post in while! Im soooo SORRY!!! :( That must be SOOO HARD! :) Max, you were gorgeous! :)

Im not sure what to do either. What if you divided that HUGE aviray into 3? So, then you could keep better track of whos who, and whos where? Then one can be a nice breeding flight! Then you could have single birds umpaired in the one, then paired non breeding birds in the other? The birds would realize theres not as much flying room, so therefore, i think they wouldnt be flying so fast, and not as crazy? I dont know, just my 2 cents. I feel bad about Bubbles, and Max now... Talk to you later tonight! Byes!

Oh no!!! Sansia :( My VERY close riding freind died at age 12 :( I went riding with her, almost daily! Then, one night, i decicded i was to tired to go on another trail, so i headed back to the barn with Aries my horse. As soon as i turned the corner, i heard the loudest noise! IT was the liver Chestnut Arabian Stallion! He got loose out of his paddock, and chased after my freind :( !!! Her horse was in heat that night, and was named Kassie i belive*. So, the stallion chased Kassie with Emily my freind still on her, about 150m, until Kassie hit a fence, and my freind went flying over 11 feet into a brick wall, never to get up again :( It was my fault, becuase if i were not so stupid, and kept riding with her for 45 more seconds, she would have been alive today, as we were going to go on a trail, not anywhere near the Stallion field :(

ps- i like the other names! Is Lovey taking Teddie then? I looove the name, and bird :P;)

Kirby

Edited by Kirby

OMG Kirby, that is horrible it is NOT your fault never say that I know you feel that time will heal. To loose a friend at such a young age, my heart goes out to you. I would love Teddie :angry: but again I live too far.

Oh ya, sorry, i was thinking of someone else hat lives near Karen... Whats her name now... OH YES! Cheeta!, duhhh! (Laughing out loud)

It is my fault! I decided to not conitnue that night! The last thing she said was "Fine, leave me!" and i didnt even look back. She said it in kind of a mad, silly way, as if she wanted me to keep going with her :fear And the last time i saw her alive, i was getting off my horse, and i looked at her, and she was playing with her helmet, like she always did when she was annoyed, mad, or bored :o The stallion was sold within 3 days, to someone in Nova Scotia to live out his days with a herd of 8 or 9 arabian mares, a few castrated, most fertile... :angry: Then, Kassie went to live in Fergus Ontario i think it was, at a pony farm for disabled children, becuase she was calm, and gentle :ph34r:

Kirby

Was the owner of the stallion held responsible for not securing his horse? Sidenote: I know there is nothing I can say to make it feel better, convince you but God (if you believe) has plans for each of us and I know that it was a tragic day for you but know that out of tragedy though it doesn't feel like it now something will come be positive. HUGS

Kirby, life is full of regrets, wishing we had done something differently to change the way something worked out. The riding accident was NOT your fault. It was just a freak occurrence that was a one in a million thing that took your friends life. My friend Sansia, used to ride her fathers racehorses to exercise them. She was on a particularly unmanageable fiery horse one day, it was rearing up and full of beans. She had forgotten her riding helmet. Her father yelled out to her to get her helmet, but she couldnt the horse took off. She was found a few streets away by her own father, in a pool of blood....dead. The horse had bolted and had hit into a power pole, thrown my friend forward, she also hit the power pole and had instant brain damage....a crushed skull. The horse returned on its own, chest all bloodied from gaping wounds. In his grief, the father returned home later and shot the horse. I am sure her father had regrets too, sending a 12 yr old out on a horse like that, not getting her helmet for her and insisting she use it, .............life is full of "if only's....." just keep the good memories of your friend in your heart and not the "if only" s :angry:

Guest Phoebe

:fear That's so sad Kirby, one of my friends had a mastectomy today for breast cancer, I know other people as well that have had this happen, who knows why anything happens.... :angry: Sometimes life really sucks. :ph34r:

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

That is so sad. Kirby, don't blame yourself, even if you had ridden with her for that little bit longer it still probably wouldhave happened.

Budgiebird, I am also sorry to hear about that as well. :wub:

Aww...Howd she do Pheobe? Best of luck to her!

Sailorwolf...i could have saved her :) We were going to go the other way...oppoiste way she went. That way, the stallion would have NEVER smelt her, as one thing i do remember was we were downwind from him, as the wind was VERY strong trotting towards the barn...and the stallion was on opposite side ;)

Anyways guys, i didnt mean to make this post turn into Kirbys dead friend post...so please continue the preoper subject! How are they Karen? Have any fledged? I CANT WAIT FOR MPRE PICS :) :)

Kirby :)

Baby number two...TEDDIE fledged this morning. I walked into the aviary and was greeted by Teddie sitting on a shoulder high perch nearest the door. Happy as Larry...:) I put out my finger and TEDDIE stepped onto it. I kept Teddie on my shoulder while I did things around the aviary and then put Teddie back in the nest for awhile as it was really cold. I will let Teddie out later when it warms up so explorations can begin. :)

• Member ID:  2,155
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,162
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  7,840

Kirby... unfortunately i don't think Karen will be parting with any of her babies this time around... hehehe, so i don't think i'll be taking any home with me.. :) besides i'm running fast out of room for these little guy.. well short of getting another aviary anyway... hehe. :)

Karen.. Teddie sounds so cute, and tame too. :P more pics please.. :)

More pictures tomorrow as today I was busy with work. I did actually go out and buy a small patio aviary as well early this morning....secondhand and at the good price of $100 (approx $75 US Kirby ). I needed another kind of aviary / cage for:- 1.....jail for any villains 2. a juvenile cage for those that want to grow up too fast 3. separation cage for budgies trying for round 3 of breeding and 4. . budgies for sale, if any. It's perfect, on top of my other assortment of aviaries and cages, as you can see. 555090.jpg

Edited by Bubbles

• Member ID:  2,202
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  197
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1,210

What a great looking patio avairy Karen :)