Is This Normal

Guest Ros

hi i have just started to breed my own budgies for the sole purpose of pets in my own home NOT FOR SALE IN PET STORES, how ever i am not really sure about what to do with this problem.

i have 2 hens and 2 cocks but my girls are nesting in the same box and seem to be sharing an egg i dont really know who the egg belongs to but they seem pretty happy to share it. is this normal behavour in avary birds as mine are all kept in an avary about 5 feet square. we find it pretty hard to get budgies here in Emerald qld so i thought i would start with 4 and make my own pets, as the pet stores dont really know much bout budgies and there aren't any real breeders here to chat too i thought you all may be able to HELP!!! please

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

hi i have just started to breed my own budgies for the sole purpose of pets in my own home NOT FOR SALE IN PET STORES, how ever i am not really sure about what to do with this problem.

i have 2 hens and 2 cocks but my girls are nesting in the same box and seem to be sharing an egg i dont really know who the egg belongs to but they seem pretty happy to share it. is this normal behavour in avary birds as mine are all kept in an avary about 5 feet square. we find it pretty hard to get budgies here in Emerald qld so i thought i would start with 4 and make my own pets, as the pet stores dont really know much bout budgies and there aren't any real breeders here to chat too i thought you all may be able to HELP!!! please

No not normal. Usually one hen will fight the other and distroy the egg. If you are colony breeding (not surgested) then you need twice as many nest boxes as there are hens. They should be located apart so that the fighting is reduced.