• Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

For those of you that fell in love with Snowy when I got him.........here he is again. cd827cfb.jpg

He has turned out to be the nastiest budgie I have ever encountered. He has the disposition of a street fighter. He hates everyone except his current girlfriend of the moment. Any other male is a worthy target of his bad temper, and worth pursuing relentlessly. Innocent budgies have come under attack by him. He will fly at them repeatedly and they were doing nothing to him. He has been shifted from cage to cage to cage in an endeavor to find suitable companions for easy living. Apart from his own cage alone, I run out of ideas. Even his girlfriends get sick of him and his fighting ways. I have tried to give him second chances to make friends with other budgies, but he just doesn't fit into the general population. He's like Arnold Schwartzenegger in "The Terminator " ...............Kill all and blow up the rest ! :) He has just been moved twice today and is now in a breeding cage with his girl. He is happy to kiss and cuddle with her, but she seems a bit ticked off with his fighting ways. If he wasn't so darn pretty, I'd sell him off. Looks like he is destined to live a solitary life as he is his own worst enemy. This doesn't seem to be related to breeding...it's his nature. :P

• Member ID:  2,060
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  861
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,195
  • Birthday:  25/07/1978

He has that "what are you looking at :P " face about him in that picture! Does he attack you when you move him??

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Well he will have to come here (Laughing out loud). Poor Snow is mommy Karen abusing you :P

On a serious note - You know it can be related to breeding.

Think about dogs with bad temperaments you don't want breed because of the possible temperaments of the puppies. Breeders always advertise gentle disposition and good temperants.

So that being said and not knowing his parents though his colors are pretty he may not be a good breeder. Also has he just started to act this way because he is breeding? Some birds become nastier when being breed another good reason maybe not to breed him.

Just my 2cents worth :)

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2

He has that "what are you looking at :P " face about him in that picture! Does he attack you when you move him??

Yes he does. He refuses to be caught and when he is, he is angry and bites to draw blood. :)

Well he will have to come here lol. Poor Snow is mommy Karen abusing you :P

On a serious note - You know it can be related to breeding.

Think about dogs with bad temperaments you don't want breed because of the possible temperaments of the puppies. Breeders always advertise gentle disposition and good temperants.

So that being said and not knowing his parents though his colors are pretty he may not be a good breeder. Also has he just started to act this way because he is breeding? Some birds become nastier when being breed another good reason maybe not to breed him.

Just my 2cents worth :)

YES, A possibility....however, he started this behaviour before his opportunities for breeding came about. He acts like the "tuff kid on the block" with something to prove. I put it down to more than his fair share of testosterone :P . I have tried all combinations of companions of both sexes. He loves to be a lover of the females, but sees all males as competition....even when in a cage of all males and no females. He flies at them and they drop to the bottom of the cage in his "deathgrip"...he is relentless and keeps it up till he is moved again. I am attempting to breed him as his temperament with a female is extremely sweet and loving. I think I would have to watch him very closely should he become a father and I would handle his babies much more than others to make sure their temperament was sweeter. Should he feel antagonisitc towards the babies, they will be fostered out or Mum and Babies removed. I just find his personality frustrating and in need of constant supervision when with others. A pity since he is so, so pretty :P

but what happens if his male or female off spring have the same hormonal issues they would never be good in an aviary or even or a single bird as a pet as they would also be aggressive, so that is why I would consider even though he is gorgeous has too many vices not to carry on his line. Genetics are a funny thing :P ya know.

True. I may have to consider rehoming him if he is no good for breeding or even to cohabit in the main population in the largest aviary. Either he must live his life alone or I just give him a female companion he is happy with but no nesting box. That may work. Maybe I had better pick him a really ugly female companion so he is not tempted. :P Failing that, if I send him to you, Lovey, he will be so tired by the time he gets there that there will be no aggression left in him to be a nuisance :)

well see that is the perfect idea, I mean I really want Bubbles too but I can sacrifice I suppose and just have Snowy come the journey on his own. :P

As for the ugly idea is there such a thing for a budgie - need is need huh :) okay bad me. Rehoming him will be difficult because of his attitude he wouldn't make a perfect pet at all but if he was rehomed to a smaller bunch of birds do you think that would make a difference?

I think I will have to just give him a female companion and no nesting boxes and they can kiss and cuddle to their hearts content for the rest of their days. As Ken and I were saying earlier, we could become a budgie retirement home as there is so much space that there is no need to get rid of unproductive, problem birds or older birds. They can live, love and die of old age here.

Edited by budgiebird

Oh so my idea has been thrown again :P yes it is a wonderful idea for sure, I would love to have an aviary of just rescues one day.

I have plans for extensions to the aviaries :P

after the wedding of course :P

Yes. I need a plan whereby Ken ends up thinking it was his idea in the first place :P

PS Thinking of renaming Snowy....LUCIFER :devil:

Do it :) Snowy is such a petite name for a sweet bird :P

Guest shareno
For those of you that fell in love with Snowy when I got him.........here he is again. cd827cfb.jpg

He has turned out to be the nastiest budgie I have ever encountered. He has the disposition of a street fighter. He hates everyone except his current girlfriend of the moment. Any other male is a worthy target of his bad temper, and worth pursuing relentlessly. Innocent budgies have come under attack by him. He will fly at them repeatedly and they were doing nothing to him. He has been shifted from cage to cage to cage in an endeavor to find suitable companions for easy living. Apart from his own cage alone, I run out of ideas. Even his girlfriends get sick of him and his fighting ways. I have tried to give him second chances to make friends with other budgies, but he just doesn't fit into the general population. He's like Arnold Schwartzenegger in "The Terminator " ...............Kill all and blow up the rest ! :) He has just been moved twice today and is now in a breeding cage with his girl. He is happy to kiss and cuddle with her, but she seems a bit ticked off with his fighting ways. If he wasn't so darn pretty, I'd sell him off. Looks like he is destined to live a solitary life as he is his own worst enemy. This doesn't seem to be related to breeding...it's his nature. :P

How old was Snowy when you got him?

• Member ID:  2,179
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  256
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  2,260

Are you sure he is not suffering from ADHD or just "I hate everythng' syndrome :(

He sounds like my Sweetie also known as ''Godzilla'

Cindy

• Member ID:  1,141
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  55

He has turned out to be the nastiest budgie I have ever encountered. He has the disposition of a street fighter. He hates everyone except his current girlfriend of the moment. Any other male is a worthy target of his bad temper, and worth pursuing relentlessly. Innocent budgies have come under attack by him. He will fly at them repeatedly and they were doing nothing to him. He has been shifted from cage to cage to cage in an endeavor to find suitable companions for easy living. Apart from his own cage alone, I run out of ideas. Even his girlfriends get sick of him and his fighting ways. I have tried to give him second chances to make friends with other budgies, but he just doesn't fit into the general population. He's like Arnold Schwartzenegger in "The Terminator " ...............Kill all and blow up the rest ! :nest: He has just been moved twice today and is now in a breeding cage with his girl. He is happy to kiss and cuddle with her, but she seems a bit ticked off with his fighting ways. If he wasn't so darn pretty, I'd sell him off. Looks like he is destined to live a solitary life as he is his own worst enemy. This doesn't seem to be related to breeding...it's his nature. :(

I had a female that was quite the same. I was advised by my vet to keep her away from my other birds. My parents were visiting one day and admiring the birds and I offered this nasty one to my dad. He was thrilled to take her. Well ... they have bonded. The bird is quite happy as a lone bird and absolutely loves my dad! He now brags about how great this female is and how well trained she has become. A happy ending!

He has turned out to be the nastiest budgie I have ever encountered. He has the disposition of a street fighter. He hates everyone except his current girlfriend of the moment. Any other male is a worthy target of his bad temper, and worth pursuing relentlessly. Innocent budgies have come under attack by him. He will fly at them repeatedly and they were doing nothing to him. He has been shifted from cage to cage to cage in an endeavor to find suitable companions for easy living. Apart from his own cage alone, I run out of ideas. Even his girlfriends get sick of him and his fighting ways. I have tried to give him second chances to make friends with other budgies, but he just doesn't fit into the general population. He's like Arnold Schwartzenegger in "The Terminator " ...............Kill all and blow up the rest ! :nest: He has just been moved twice today and is now in a breeding cage with his girl. He is happy to kiss and cuddle with her, but she seems a bit ticked off with his fighting ways. If he wasn't so darn pretty, I'd sell him off. Looks like he is destined to live a solitary life as he is his own worst enemy. This doesn't seem to be related to breeding...it's his nature. :(

How old was Snowy when you got him?

About 7 months making him at least 14 months now.