• Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  7,510
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  13/03/1977

:D One of my friends has decided that he would like to get a couple of Budgies for his small children, his kids are really young but i'm confident that they will always be fully supervised. Anyway I told him that Id raise two for him like i've done with Apple, Mig and Munchy so they are ultra friendly and more than use to handling etc..

I know they will be going to a great home but it is always hard letting go of your "kids". Id like to make up a Care Sheet to give to him just so i can be sure they will get off to a great start, even though i live close i just want to make sure it goes perfect for my babys.. Any Ideas on where to start? i'm at a loss of what to actually put on it or even how to set it out, I remember reading posts that a few of you make care sheets and would really appreciate help on the topic, so far i've got NOTHING :(..

I have three babys in the nesting box now that should fledge in a few days but i'm going to suggest to him the next clutch so that i can work with them a little more.. actually mainly because i'm already attatched to my babies :D

All help would be greatly appreciated..

Cheers :beer:

Una

• Member ID:  860
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

Does he have access to the internet? If he does then you can send him to Terri's site: www.budgietalk.com and tell him to join here. If not....hmm, making up a care sheet would be a pretty tricky task. It's something i want to do if i ever sell any budgies. You would need to put cage sizes, feeding tips, toys ideas, how to recognise illness, how often to clean the cage, etc. I'm sure other people will come along with more ideas. :(

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

A care sheet in a nutshell would be hard but you can do the basics of more of a checklist

I would put down the basics and put it like a spreadsheet where he can check off once the duties are done.

Example:

Daily Care:

Weekly Care:

Monthly Care:

Avian Vet Number:

ER Number:

You fill in the blanks and put what is important this is just a start of what you can do.

Let me know if you need help more.

• Member ID:  1,582

:budgiedance: THanks heaps for the tips and ideas.. Luckily the man has decided to wait until i have two more babys so i can spend a lil more time with them, which means i have more time to work on a care sheet of some sorts **PHEWWWW.. And i will DEFINITELY be adding the internet link to this web site, its been my lifesaver and kept my sanity on MANY occasions. :ausb:

Thanks heaps again n Cheers Guys :beer:

Una

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Thank you for buying your bird from Us We urge you to take your bird home as quickly as possible and avoid subjecting it to extreme heat, cold or noise. These extremes cause stress and stress can kill!! Ensure there is enough daylight time for your bird to orientate itself in its new surroundings. Allow it to settle down for a few days without handling it and keep it away from draughts. Try to learn as much as you can about your new companion. We have a large range of excellent books for you to choose from if you need further information. Enjoy your new pet.

Veterinary Advice to purchasers of Birds

Having purchased your new bird(s), there are several things you should know and do, to ensure they remain healthy. Birds are unique in how they show and respond to diseases. They can ‘hide’ signs of illness until they are very ill, and can appear healthy to an owner who doesn’t observe them closely every day. Stress plays a major role in the onset of bird diseases. This can be in the form of overcrowding, poor nutrition or hygiene, lack of shelter of ‘hiding places’, sudden or extremely hot or cold weather and a change of environment. Stress attacks the bird’s immune system, making it weaker and therefore more susceptible to diseases.

For these reasons, all birds going into a new home or aviary after purchase should be kept separate from existing birds, so they can become accustomed to the new Surroundings, foods and routines. This should be done for a period of four weeks for maximum benefit. The Temptation to put birds straight into your aviary should be resisted for the health of your current and new birds as well

as developing good bird keeping methods. During their time in quarantine, observe the new birds closely, feed them the same as your existing birds and worm them in the first and last weeks of the quarantine period. Releasing birds into the aviary is best done after the morning feed.

Useful care and product information for the new bird owner

To keep your birds comfortable and in the best of health we suggest you consider the following Information.

BIRD SEED: make sure it is always clean and fresh and free of unwanted, cracked and dusty material. This especially applies to some of the ‘cheap’ mixes on the market.

FRESH WATER: should be supplied daily

BIRD WORMER: worms are a common cause of illness. Worm two weeks after purchase and than every three months.

SULPHADIM: a useful medication to keep on hand for various ailments.

SHELL GRIT: an essential digestive aid for all birds.

CUTTLEBONE AND CALCIUM BELLS: to provide calcium, mineral and beak conditioning.

EGG AND BISCUIT: for baby and breeding birds especially, and a treat for others.

VITAMINS AND MINERALS: a good range to suit your needs.

PERCHES: made form native trees (gum, bottle brush) will give your birds feet good exercise and help keep its beak trim.

FRESH FRUIT AND VEGETABLES: should be supplied regularly depending on your birds requirements. Corn on the cob, silverbeet, apple and soft fruits are all options.

NATIVE FLOWERS: bottlebrush, banksia,

grevillia and gum are popular with most birds.

PROTEIN: In the from of egg and biscuit, sprouted seeds are excellent supplements and treats.

BOOKS: essential guides for the ongoing well being of your bird

Edited by daz

• Member ID:  1,582

:budgiedance: Thats great Daz.. Thank you.