Points to consider when foster a chick to another nest

Here are points to consider when you need to foster out a chick for the following reasons:  

Sudden death of the parent rearing hen and if cock is not feeding.
For some reasons, parents STOPPED feeding the chicks.
Too many chicks in the clutch and if we have option of another rearing hen with less number of chicks. Below are a few members suggestions on how they foster out chicks when necessary, below that you will find a FAQ section with answers about fostering.

Generally the chicks that are being fostered should be under 2 weeks old. The pair that are receiving them should have chicks of a similar age or be sitting on infertile eggs. Hens that are still laying eggs are usually not suitable. Identifying the foster chick is sometimes a problem. If they are too small to put a ring on they can be temporally marked with twink (tip-ex)  contributed by Neville If fostering to a hen who only has eggs, make it a newish chick not an older one. Never foster to a hen with no eggs or chicks.
Fostering a chick of a different type will be easier to spot in the nest later if you cannot ring or mark the chick..... for instance an ino chick in a green nest etc. A blue series chick in all all green nest etc.Never expect a hen with no eggs to take on eggs from another hen.
Contributed by Kaz  It is preferable to foster with a clutch that has chicks about the same age (ie, you wouldn't put a newborn in with a clutch that is about the fledge) You can foster more than one chick as long as you don't overload the foster parents. Just as personal preference if I have the choice I try to foster with a clutch that is a clearly different mutation so there is no confusion, eg. put a green series chick in a blue series nest. Of course that's only if the option s there.  Contributed by melbournebudgie  Some FAQ's - Points to consider when Fostering out Chicks What can be the maximum age difference between the receiving foster clutch last chick and the new chick being fostered?. Try to foster to a nest with similar size and similar aged chicks

What is the ideal clutch size that will not overload the foster parents?
Depends on the foster parents...good feeders...as in really good parents can handle around 6-7 in total but ideally closer to 4-5 .... but only if one clutch and not tired from another previous round of chick rearing

Some time back I have also read this in some article, but I don't know what is the exact reason behind this. I think because at the third week chicks start showing the feather colouring and Budgies are good in differentiating each other based on there feather colourings, is my thinking correct or I am totally wrong. More because a fully feathered and coloured chick would represent an intruder in the nest more than one of their own.    Whether we can immediately foster a newly hatched chick or wondering whether we have to wait for minimum one or two days before fostering this chick. Yes, you can do this with no trouble at all, best to wait until it had it's first feed if possible.
Assume we have a hen1 with only one chick of age 10 days with NO eggs and another hen2 has 4 chicks with first chick of age 6/8 days. Now whether we can foster one or two chicks from hen2 to hen1
. Yes, that would work quite well.

Also I have another question, whether we can foster the chicks/eggs at any time during the day, say morning or afternoon or evening or there is some best recommended time for doing this without much disturbing both the breeding pairs. Best to do this while the mum is off the nest feeding and you can get her to get out while you do it. Best time is morning so if it doesn't work out you will know before nighttime and make another arrangement.

You cannot comment on this entry

Rate this FAQ

5 (1 Vote)