How do you prepare for Breeding?

There are many ways that you can pair up your birds for breeding.

I select a hen that is of the correct age and is starting to come in to breeding condition. She is placed in a training cage or show cage. Around her, I place suitable cocks that are also of the correct age and are in breeding condition. I note her best points and her worst point. I then pick the cocks that have good points that will counter her bad points and visa versa.

When I have picked the best two or three cocks for her, I then check to see how closely related they are. So long as they are not too closely related, eg Father to Daughter or Brother to sister, I then place the best cock with her in a breeding cabinet. The nest box is not placed on the cage until 4 days to a week latter. 

The cage containes Fresh water daily, Seed with Vetafarm Breeding Aid, Cuttlefish Bone, Mineralised grit, Charcoal and a daily supply of soft food which has had Vetafarm Calcivet added and also a multi vitamin.

Egg should arrive with in 10 days. Infertile eggs are removed until a clutch of at least 4 fertile eggs appear.  If there are no eggs with in 21 days the pair is split up and the hen is tried again a month latter.

You cannot comment on this entry