Teflon Poisoning

~ 0 min
06-May-2007 16:51
Teflon is a hard non stick surface that is applied to many items of cookware and the insides of self cleaning ovens. When overheated it lets off fumes which can be fatal for your feathered friends. If you suspect that your bird may have been poisoned by Teflon fumes then you must act quickly.
  • Symptoms Respiratory distress (heavy breathing, gasping, tail bobbing, yawning actions often accompanied by head swinging)
  • Vomiting actions (nothing may be brought up)
  • Lethargy
  • A bird that does not normally like physical contact will often allow any contact
  • without struggle, may even seek contact.
  • Fitting (uncontrollable shaking etc)
  • Inability to perch, falling
  • Fluffed feathers

THESE SYMPTOMS ARE OFTEN FOLLOWED BY DEATH, AND IN MANY, BUT NOT ALL CASES, IS IRREVERSIBLE.

Treatment:  Immediately remove bird from area of fumes, or if this is not possible, ensure bird is secure in cage/aviary and open ALL doors and windows, and set in motion any extractor fans.

Get bird/s to vet as fast as is humanly possible, or get vet out to the birds. For best chance of success, the bird will usually need to be hospitalized in an avian hospital

AVIAN VET TREATMENT: Can be successful SOMETIMES. Could well include (and please suggest this to your vet if he/she seems unsure of what to do)

An injection directly into the birds system of antibiotics, accompanied by an injection of steroids.

The bird should then be placed in an incubator with a pure oxygen supply (This helps the birds body to rid itself of the toxins)The bird should be kept warm, and the air humidified.

Teflon poisoning, or any type of poisoning should never be allowed to happen, but the accidents do happen, that’s life. Being aware of the symptoms, and acting fast, can mean the difference between life and death.

Click here to locate an avian by you: Avian Vet Look-up

Attached files:

    Average rating 4 (2 Votes)

    You can comment this FAQ

    Tags