Budgie Makes Strange NoiseBudgie sick?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_musicman_*

Guest_musicman_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:18

What sort of sounds do budgies make when they have cold?
What can I give them to cure a cold?
Thanks

#2 Elly

Elly

100% Budgie-a-holic!

• Site Members
  • 15,769 posts
  • Local time: 08:16 PM
  • Breeder:No
  • Show Breeder:No
  • My Club:N/A
  • Budgies Kept:1

Posted 20 February 2006 - 13:28

If they have a cold, they need to go to the avian vet for treatment.
Discharge from the Eyes or Nose- If your budgie is having any type of discharge from the nares (nostrils) or eyes he should see a vet. Many people write this off as a "cold" but it could be a more serious infection which may need to be treated with medication by the vet.
Sneezing- It's not uncommon for a budgie to occasionally sneeze but if your budgie is doing this often he should be seen by the vet. As mentioned above, these sorts of symptoms should not be overlooked and simply labeled a "cold."  (got this from Terri's site, www.budgietalk.com)
Posted Image

Budgie Community Forums  
Please remember - due to board rules,
Posted Pictures are to be no larger than 640x480 pixels. How to Post Pictures
Please No Text Shortcuts or Double Posting- this is a general message not a personal one.
Information on Signatures and Avatars Sizes

#3 Rainbow

Rainbow

Golden Wings Post Award

• Site Members
  • 2,233 posts
  • Local time: 08:16 AM
  • Breeder:No
  • Show Breeder:No
  • My Club:N/A
  • Budgies Kept:3
  • City/Town:Illinois

Posted 20 February 2006 - 14:09

Budgies don't get "colds".  So far the virus that causes human colds isn't transferrable to birds.  If your budgie is sneezing, wheezing, bobbing his tail when he breathes, has discharge from the eyes or nares, sits fluffed up with little or no energy, sleeps on both feet (normally they will draw one up into the feathers when sleeping), exhibits lack of appetite or inclination to drink, changes in frequency or consistency in droppings - whether one symptom or all of them, he might have an Upper Respiratory Infection, which is different than a "cold".  Normally they don't "get over it" like people do and need veterinary intervention with meds to regain health.  Most UTI's are bacterial in nature in birds, unlike in humans which you know colds are viral in nature.  In people the virus will run it's course, that's why antibiotics are useless against colds and you eventually get well in about 7 - 10 days - anitibiotics  are for bacterial infections.  Normally a bacterial infection will only get worse without treatment.  This is why it is important to take your budgie to the vet if you suspect a "cold".  What symptoms does your bird have?
Budgie Community Forums Head Global Moderator and Co-Administrator

...Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all... Emily Dickinson

Do you have a great picture of one of your budgies? Why not enter it in the Budgie of the Month Competition?!

#4 Guest_BudgieLuv_*

Guest_BudgieLuv_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:02

could you give us more info musicman?  is you bird just sneezing? or are there other symptoms described above?  my birds will have "sneezing" fits when the humidity gets low, and it has been very low lately, 6%!!! i add a humidifyer for a few hours, and it moistens them up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users