• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 09:55 PM
  • Breeder:Yes
  • Show Breeder:No
  • My Club:n/a
  • Budgies Kept:1

Posted 24 July 2008 - 22:32

Ollie is 4 years old, and was neglected when we adopted him about 2 months ago. He has a nice cage, toys and 2 bells. He loves to get out of his cage and play, is healthy and talks a lot.
Unfortunately I have been told by the vet he has RBS - he vomits (regurgites) a lot and I would like to know how to stop/slow this down as he gets very grubby looking (not to mention the amount of seed he uses up!) I'm also worried he will get sick.
The vet says he could have hormone injections - bit concerned about this. There is no particular time or method in his madness - he's been known to throw up on my toe, his bell or just where ever he is at the time. :wub:
Would appreciate some help if possible - or are we stuck with a bulimic budge?

cheers suz

Moderatorís Message

I changed vomit to regurgitation in your title, vomiting denotes a sick bird, regurgitation is a normal behavior found in budgies and this is what you are talking about

Edited by Elly, 25 July 2008 - 00:12.

#2 Elly

Elly

100% Budgie-a-holic!

• Site Members
  • 15,769 posts
  • Local time: 07:25 PM
  • Breeder:No
  • My Club:N/A

Posted 24 July 2008 - 22:35

Can you explain what RBS is please, thank you for those who don't know.
Also does he eat more then seed?  If so a better diet mix of seed/veggies/fruits and possible vitamin supplements will improve his health or stablize it.

okay adding I looked it up Randy Budgie Syndrome Mating behavior seen in caged budgerigars; it includes courtship feeding and regurgitation, attempts to copulate with inanimate objects or humans.

Some questions for you:

How long do you keep his cage covered?
Do you rearrange his toys around at least 1x a week?
Do you add new toys (these could be toys you removed and then brought back after a month)?
Do you have a mirror or any bells his cage?
Do you have his cage by running water?

Your vet is he an avian or a regular vet?

Edited by Elly, 24 July 2008 - 22:39.

Posted Image

Budgie Community Forums  
Please remember - due to board rules,
Posted Pictures are to be no larger than 640x480 pixels. How to Post Pictures
Please No Text Shortcuts or Double Posting- this is a general message not a personal one.
Information on Signatures and Avatars Sizes

#3 **Liv**

**Liv**

OFFICIALLY ADDICTED TO BBC

• Administrators
  • 7,854 posts
  • Show Breeder:Yes
  • My Club:NEBS and BSSA
  • Budgies Kept:80
  • City/Town:Adelaide, South Australia

Posted 24 July 2008 - 22:39

:wub: Thats different :D

Hormones... does that mean he is regurgitating rather than vomiting??
regurgitating is an up and down movement, often happens while singing and chatting to an object (or mate)
Vomiting is a side to side shaking of the head and the food gets flicked all over the place....

If is just regurgitation, extra sleeping hours during the night - at least 12-14 hours of quiet dark sleeping him, may calm his hormones.
Do you also like Cockatiels? Click herefor a brand new community forum dedicated to the Cockatiel

Posted Image

Budgie Community Forums Co Administrator
Please No Text Shortcuts or Double Posting- this is a general message not a personal one.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation from The Moderating Team

#4 **KAZ**

**KAZ**

Co - Administrator

• Administrators
  • 25,698 posts
  • Local time: 08:25 PM
  • My Club:MBC and SWBC
  • Budgies Kept:340
  • City/Town:Collie southwest of W.A.

Posted 24 July 2008 - 22:57

Well you have already said he has a bell in his cage and he regurgitates on that. I would suggest thats where the behaviour began and it has taken on a life of its own from there. Boy budgies love reflective toys...bells, mirrors etc. Best not to have them in the first place. Vain little creatures they talk to and fall in love or lust with these objects and then develop a pattern of behaviour from that. The behaviour evolves until it has a life of its own :wub:  
Try removing all reflective objects first. BUT by now it may be ingrained behaviour and he will need other distractions. :D

Budgie Community Forums Co Administrator
Member of South West Budgerigar Club and Metropolitan Budgerigar Club
W.A. Budgerigar Council Delegate

Member Professional Car Society and Cadillac La Salle Club

Please remember - due to board rules, Posted Pictures are to be no larger than 640 x 480 pixels.
How to post pictures Please
No Text Shortcuts or Double Posting- this is a general message not a personal one.
Information on
Signatures and Avatars Sizes. New?... Check out our Welcome Centre
and FAQ's
Thanks in advance for your cooperation from the The Moderating Team.

#5 Elly

Elly

100% Budgie-a-holic!

• Site Members
  • 15,769 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 00:08

I believe active foraging too will help and enrichment toys where he has to work to get his food that will start to redirect his mind, and Kaz is right mirrors, bells anything that they can see their image can start the behavior.  Budgies are very social creatures and when they see their reflection they believe it is another budgie.  My grandma's budgie had a mirror and it was caked with food he lived to be 15.  We now know that there are many ways to enhance a lone budgie's life as I have one too and don't have these issues thank goodness but I believe with effort it can be changed or at least lessened.
Posted Image

Budgie Community Forums  

#6 Suz

Suz

Budgie Hatchling

• Site Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • My Club:n/a

Posted 25 July 2008 - 19:52

:P Thanks very much for those replies - it is definately regurgitating now that you point that out.
I haven't taken any of Ollie's toys out at this stage as I was worried I would stress him out.  I actually have just moved him into a bigger cage so everything is moved around, I will take on board suggestions of giving him new things to do and explore.

Ollie goes to bed around 8:00 pm and normally wakes  up around 6am. He has native perches, greens and fruits to eat. Also I have been giving him millet seeds but cut that down to a treat once I realised most of it ended up on the floor (also didn't know it was fattening!)

The vet we saw is the only one in our area who deals with birds. When she talked about injections of hormones I decided that is not how I want to go, hence my contact with you guys. I feel better now I have read the posts and other sections of the site.

Will follow through with suggestions and see how he goes. thank you very much for feedback, I appreciate it. Cheers

#7 melbournebudgies

melbournebudgies

Platinum Wings Post Award

• Site Members
  • 5,118 posts
  • My Club:Eastern District
  • Budgies Kept:40+

Posted 25 July 2008 - 20:00

I would cover his cage up for longer if possibleas hat may make a difference.  If you can't cover his cage for longer you can put him in a room with the blinds closed and a light on a timer to turn on (if you have o leave for work at a certain time, etc)
Posted Image

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

#8 Elly

Elly

100% Budgie-a-holic!

• Site Members
  • 15,769 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 21:59

I agree I would have him covered from 8-8 if possible, that is what I do with Merlin, you can even do a temporarly covering for 14 hours for a week and see if that helps and then resume back to 10-12 hours.   I personally am very surprised that a vet that deals with birds would not give you different suggests like the above.  Anyways, always move the toys around, it is not stressful but fun to see things in different places.  Think about it if you were in the cage no matter how big and nothing ever changed I think we would all get a bit of an obessive complusive disorder :budgiedance:
Posted Image

Budgie Community Forums  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users