Can Budgies Smell Very Well And Or Taste?based on a random wondering that began with parsley preening...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kityakana

Kityakana

Budgie Hatchling

• Site Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 06:55 AM
  • Breeder:No
  • Show Breeder:No
  • My Club:N/A
  • Budgies Kept:1

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:22

some of you may recall that i posted a question about my budgie Kit, liking the smell of herbs because she likes to preen them through her feathers... well ive done some reading into whether this could be the case (as the common thought is that birds generally have poor sence of smell, and therefore, taste) and apparently they do have olfactory receptors present but they are fewer in number to that of most mammals. so it is possible to assume that their sense of smell is less advanced than ours... but not possible to assume how much less!

"The approximate numbers of olfactory cells on each side were 5,800,000 in the duck, 2,700,000 in the gull, 570,000 in the quail, 130,000 in the budgerigar, and 110,000 in the bengalee."
   Vol.12, No.1(19950215) pp. 117-123      The Zoological Society of Japan ISSN:02890003

"Yet the apparatus for detecting odors is present in the nasal passages of    all birds," writes Paul Ehrlich, David Dobkin, and Darryl Wheye in The Birder's    Handbook.

By recording the electrical impulses transmitted through the bird's olfactory    nerves, physiologists have documented sparrows, chickens, pigeons, ducks, shearwaters,    albatrosses, and vultures can smell.

here is a great site on some research if anyone else is interested.

http://academic.scra...G2/avianorn.htm

please let me know if any of your budgies have ever shown a behaviour that might indicate an awareness of a scent or reaction to one.

:)

#2 Elly

Elly

100% Budgie-a-holic!

• Site Members
  • 15,769 posts
  • Local time: 04:25 AM

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:18

they can smell but not well because their survival doesn't depend on smelling like a dog or a cat that is why they have better eye sight and are even know to see ultraviolet rays something we humans can't see...budgies are so neat :)
Posted Image

Budgie Community Forums  
Please remember - due to board rules,
Posted Pictures are to be no larger than 640x480 pixels. How to Post Pictures
Please No Text Shortcuts or Double Posting- this is a general message not a personal one.
Information on Signatures and Avatars Sizes

#3 JimmyBanks

JimmyBanks

Resident Comedian

• Site Members
  • 4,645 posts
  • Local time: 07:25 AM
  • Budgies Kept:0
  • City/Town:Melbourne

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:53

Budgies taste great. the word Budgerigar is an aboriginal word meaning 'good food.' :D Oh you mean can they taste... dunno... :)

#4 **Liv**

**Liv**

OFFICIALLY ADDICTED TO BBC

• Administrators
  • 7,854 posts
  • Breeder:Yes
  • Show Breeder:Yes
  • My Club:NEBS and BSSA
  • Budgies Kept:80
  • City/Town:Adelaide, South Australia

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:01

View PostJimmyBanks, on Mar 31 2008, 03:53, said:

Budgies taste great. the word Budgerigar is an aboriginal word meaning 'good food.' :D Oh you mean can they taste... dunno... :)

:D

Elly is right, and budgies are very neat :D
Do you also like Cockatiels? Click herefor a brand new community forum dedicated to the Cockatiel

Posted Image

Budgie Community Forums Co Administrator
Please No Text Shortcuts or Double Posting- this is a general message not a personal one.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation from The Moderating Team

#5 missylu

missylu

Mature Budgie

• Site Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • My Club:n/a
  • Budgies Kept:43
  • City/Town:blacktown

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:39

I have a 6 week old budgie and i am hand rearing him when i make the formula up he chirps and goes crazy even though he is in another room so i am not sure if it is the smell or the sound that makes him chirp?

#6 NickNack

NickNack

Silver Wings Post Award

• Site Members
  • 768 posts
  • Local time: 04:25 PM
  • Budgies Kept:1 1/2
  • City/Town:Toronto Ontario

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:03

[quote name='JimmyBanks' date='Mar 30 2008, 13:23' post='220069']
Budgies taste great. the word Budgerigar is an aboriginal word meaning 'good food.' :D Oh you mean can they taste... dunno... :) /quote]

A white wine Cream sauce & truffles or battered & deep fried with chips,  JimmyB ?  

missylu ... he might be attracted to the sound of you making up his food.  Running water gets them excited.  Louder noises like the blender will make him chirp loud too.  Or maybe just uncovering his cage & walking away to get his breakfast will make him call to you.  He wants your attention !
In NickNack's World ! THERE IS CAKE !

#7 Neat

Neat

Platinum Wings Post Award

• Site Members
  • 5,902 posts
  • Local time: 07:25 AM
  • My Club:BSNSW West Sydney Branch
  • Budgies Kept:7
  • City/Town:Rossmore

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:36

View Post**Liv**, on Mar 31 2008, 07:31, said:

View PostJimmyBanks, on Mar 31 2008, 03:53, said:

Budgies taste great. the word Budgerigar is an aboriginal word meaning 'good food.' :D Oh you mean can they taste... dunno... :ph34r:

:ph34r:

Elly is right, and budgies are very neat :D

NO NO NO I AM NEAT !!!  :P

Considering that the Fumes of Household sprays, Cooking ( ELLY'S POST ) That are Highly sensitive So this makes me believe that they can smell well .... TASTE Is a definet Yes notice how fussy they are wit seeds

There are some "Experts" that believe that Budgies can smell just as good as we can ....... So My research has concluded (Laughing out loud) .....If only they could tell us

Edited by Neat, 31 March 2008 - 10:42.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation from The Moderating Team

#8 Elly

Elly

100% Budgie-a-holic!

• Site Members
  • 15,769 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:18

View Postmissylu, on Mar 30 2008, 19:09, said:

I have a 6 week old budgie and i am hand rearing him when i make the formula up he chirps and goes crazy even though he is in another room so i am not sure if it is the smell or the sound that makes him chirp?

It is the sound when I swish around Merlin's seed he goes nuts (Laughing out loud) it has nothing to do with the smell, budgies smell is worse then ours and we can hardly smell the seed unless it was freshly open :ph34r:.
Posted Image

Budgie Community Forums  

#9 **KAZ**

**KAZ**

Co - Administrator

• Administrators
  • 25,698 posts
  • Local time: 05:25 AM
  • My Club:MBC and SWBC
  • Budgies Kept:340
  • City/Town:Collie southwest of W.A.

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:03

When I bring the peppermint branches through the aviary to divide up amongst the aviary birds and the birdroom breeding birds...they SMELL them coming. The smell of peppermint fills the air and the birds in breeder cage, although they havent seen the branches yet...they smell them coming and like velcro to the front of the bird cage...they clamp themselves there ina  frenzy of excitement waiting for thier share pf peppermint to come through. I firmly believe they smell the peppermint leaves coming.

Member of South West Budgerigar Club and Metropolitan Budgerigar Club
W.A. Budgerigar Council Delegate

Member Professional Car Society and Cadillac La Salle Club

Please remember - due to board rules, Posted Pictures are to be no larger than 640 x 480 pixels.
How to post pictures Please
No Text Shortcuts or Double Posting- this is a general message not a personal one.
Information on
Signatures and Avatars Sizes. New?... Check out our Welcome Centre
and FAQ's
Thanks in advance for your cooperation from the The Moderating Team.

#10 birdluv

birdluv

Platinum Wings Post Award

• Global Moderators
  • 4,840 posts
  • Local time: 08:25 AM
  • My Club:n/a
  • Budgies Kept:3
  • City/Town:manitoba

Posted 31 March 2008 - 13:43

View PostKAZ, on Mar 30 2008, 20:33, said:

When I bring the peppermint branches through the aviary to divide up amongst the aviary birds and the birdroom breeding birds...they SMELL them coming. The smell of peppermint fills the air and the birds in breeder cage, although they havent seen the branches yet...they smell them coming and like velcro to the front of the bird cage...they clamp themselves there ina  frenzy of excitement waiting for thier share pf peppermint to come through. I firmly believe they smell the peppermint leaves coming.
(Laughing out loud), the budgies cling to the side of their cage would make a great picture or video :D

Edited by birdluv, 31 March 2008 - 13:44.

Posted Image

Willow ~ yellow green spangle
Rip Blueberry ~ Normal cobalt blue

Please remember - due to board rules, Posted Pictures are to be no larger than 640 x 480 pixels.
No Text Shortcuts  or Double Posting- this is a general message not a personal one.
Information on
Signatures and Avatars Sizes. New?... Check out our Welcome Centre and FAQ's

#11 Elly

Elly

100% Budgie-a-holic!

• Site Members
  • 15,769 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 13:56

View PostKAZ, on Mar 30 2008, 21:33, said:

I believe that, pepperment is a very strong smell :D
Posted Image

Budgie Community Forums  

#12 Kityakana

Kityakana

Budgie Hatchling

• Site Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:29

View Postmissylu, on Mar 31 2008, 08:39, said:

probably sound... only because their hearing is definately brilliant. so it would have to be a situation where it is only smell that is a factor.so if you made the formula in the "cone of silence" but then allowed the smell to waft afterwards we might have a valid demonstration of smelling!

View PostElly, on Mar 31 2008, 12:56, said:

View PostKAZ, on Mar 30 2008, 21:33, said:

I believe that, pepperment is a very strong smell :)

now THIS is the kind of thing i was hoping to find! this is a definate indication that although their sense of smell is not as acute as ours it is definately still there and would have some advantages if living in the wild... you would be able to tell when a certain tree might be in flower or learn what smells are bad or good to eat. and - something that wild budgies rely on - they might be able to smell rain/water. that would be tricky to prove but its something im very interested in now.

ive done a series of experiments with Kit by presenting my budgie with smelly and not so smelly foliage. my previous observations of her allowed me to predict that she would preen in only the smelly foliage and just nibble at the not so smelly.
I gave her: parsley, lettuce, spinach, rosemary, oregano and basil. my predictions were that she would investigate all of them by biting but only preen the stronger smelling ones (parsley, rosemany, oregano and basil) through her feathers and possibly linger and chew more on the herbs.

not only were my predictions right but she seemed to really enjoy the rosemary and even started rolling on it! the next step will be to try and train her in an experiment similar to Pavlov's dogs, but i change the bell for a scent. i will use an essential oil that is strong smelling and distinct - probably peppermint - and add it to an oilburner in my room at the same time as i put a millet spray in her cage. the theory being she will associate with smell with the millet and if (after time) when i put the oil in and dont produce a millet spray, she will display agitative behaviour and possibly even actively seeking the millet.

if anyone else as geeky as me is interested in doing this experiment, please let me know. i am very very interested in this and would like to ask Dr Karl about it sometime too. :)xx

Edited by Kityakana, 01 April 2008 - 08:31.

#13 Elly

Elly

100% Budgie-a-holic!

• Site Members
  • 15,769 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:49

I would be careful about using scented oils or what you are using for your experiments because budgies respiratory lines in their lungs are so fragile that is why it is recommended not to use air freshners, candles, cleaning products, tephlon for cooking and other products.
Posted Image

Budgie Community Forums  

#14 Kityakana

Kityakana

Budgie Hatchling

• Site Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:09

View PostElly, on Apr 1 2008, 07:49, said:

I would be careful about using scented oils or what you are using for your experiments because budgies respiratory lines in their lungs are so fragile that is why it is recommended not to use air freshners, candles, cleaning products, tephlon for cooking and other products.

i will be very careful to only use a drop of an essential oil (which is pure and not synthetic) in a water filled oil burner. its what i use normally around the house instead of any airfreshners so its not going to be any more intense than that.

i will have to use a scent ive not used before so peppermint or chamomile are my options within easy reach. peppermint is sharper so hoping to use that.

#15 **KAZ**

**KAZ**

Co - Administrator

• Administrators
  • 25,698 posts
  • Local time: 05:25 AM
  • My Club:MBC and SWBC
  • Budgies Kept:340
  • City/Town:Collie southwest of W.A.

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:11

According to information available on the internet I also would hesitater at using scented oils

QUOTE Candles, scented oils (essential oils), air refreshers with fragrances: Burning candles are very dangerous because the hot wax and the flame can cause burns and also most dyes and fragrances are poisonous. The vapours of scented oils and other fragrances can cauterize the tongue, fauces, crop, stomach and respiratory system.

and

Cleaning supplies and disinfectants including bleach, phenols, ammonia, pine oil, spot remover, window cleaning solution,fllor and furniture polish,scented candles,potpourri,tea tree oils,essential oils and air fresheners.Perfumes,hairsprays,room deodorizers,deodarant,nail polish remover and anything else with a propellant.

essential oils are stated as not being good for birds, It is also said that even the minute quantities we can smell are too high a level for birds.

Edited by KAZ, 01 April 2008 - 12:14.

Member of South West Budgerigar Club and Metropolitan Budgerigar Club
W.A. Budgerigar Council Delegate

Member Professional Car Society and Cadillac La Salle Club

No Text Shortcuts or Double Posting- this is a general message not a personal one.
Information on
Signatures and Avatars Sizes. New?... Check out our Welcome Centre
and FAQ's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users