New Budgie Owner

Guest kath

Hi

I am new to this site and budgie owning. I have a bit of a concern re my new bird. I have a young male budgie that makes a very strange noise on a fairly regular basis. The best description is cough-like mixed with a cherrup. although it isnt a cough as hes not sick and has been making this noise since I brought him home about 6 weeks ago. He makes regular budgie noises and this one. Watching him closely last night it looks like hes choking (although he isn't) , but he bobs and twists his head about and makes the funny coughy chuff chuff sound. he does it a bit and then goes about his normal business, eating and drinking and preening, so I dont think its upsetting him or involuntary, but is this common and what is that sound all about??? any advice or thoughts would be really appreciated!!!!

• Member ID:  1,826
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  955
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

he could be trying to talk human to you... or just in general on of my guys does something very similar when he's asking for millet. if you still worried call a budgie breeder in your area(pet stores can be useless) or an avian vet

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

It could be just a sound he heard and picked up.

Does he bring up any seed while do this? Are the feathers above his cere have a wet look to them? If so it means he has some nasal discharge which could be a sign of respiratory problems.

Is there any clicking sound when he breathes or tail bobbing? He is happy to do all normal budgie things or is he sitting fluffed up?

Sorry for the question but they help us to get a better idea of what could be wrong. Just remember we can give tips that we have picked up from owning budgies but in most cases we state to see an avian vet if worried.

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Ash barks like a small dog...must have picked it up from his original home...

Sorry ... Please answer Nerwens qestions...:blink:

Guest Thirtyfive Black

IF this is what my lutino would do, he had seed stuck. My lutino would make coughing/choking sounds, bob his head trying to regurgitate it. He would get it out and be fine. He would do this a quit a bit when he was a baby, I havent seen him do it in a long time. I have no idea how to stop them doing this, all I could do was make sure he was okay when it happened.

It could be just a sound he heard and picked up.

Does he bring up any seed while do this? Are the feathers above his cere have a wet look to them? If so it means he has some nasal discharge which could be a sign of respiratory problems.

Is there any clicking sound when he breathes or tail bobbing? He is happy to do all normal budgie things or is he sitting fluffed up?

Sorry for the question but they help us to get a better idea of what could be wrong. Just remember we can give tips that we have picked up from owning budgies but in most cases we state to see an avian vet if worried.

Hi, thanks for the replies,

He seems otherwise happy, I haven't seen him regurgitate anything, he does make a clicking sound sometimes though which I thought was a form of beak grinding or something. from the feedback, It doesnt sound like this is a very common noise and I can't think of where he could have heard it to be copying it. I will take the suggestion and leave him at a vet for observation just to be sure. Perhaps he's getting seed stuck

I haven't noticed any dampness on his feathers but will check closely as well. Thank you for the suggestions!

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Be careful of the clicking sound. Happy contented Budgies will sit and re hull any unhulled seed in their crops. That shouldn't be mistaken for a respritory problem.

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

From the description, the sound he is making sounds similar to that of the noise they make when they are being a bit agro. Like "arr-arr-arr-arr", sort of like a really quick seagull noise. Is that the noise he makes? Because if it is, then it is perfectly normal and they do this to their toys, other budgies and you, or if they are feeling grumpy, or sometimes for fun.

My budgie does the agro noise then he starts bobbing his head and running all over the perches for fun, while chirping merrily away, but I don't know about the head twisting bit though

• 1 year later...
Guest josieandangelo

Hi,

We have been noticing our young budgie doing the same behaviour. She is fine during the day, chirps with her mate, sings etc, but then at night she makes a strange sound. She has been doing it for a few days now and we dont know whether it is just a normal sound or whether she is choking.

She makes a "choop"" sound and bobs her head and her body shakes, but then when you grab her she stops.

Her poos seem to be normal, but how do i tell if she is sick? Sometimes they are slimy and wet?

Can anyone help?

:parrot:

Guest spartan

Paris makes a sound like that, it looked like he was coughing or choking. I was really worried! Eventually I worked it out - it was his version of making kiss kiss noises!

Do you make kiss kiss noises at him? Is your head moving a bit when/if you do? They are great imitaters. If not, then it may be something to be concerned about.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

how is your budgie doing?

• Member ID:  2,977
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,031
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  13,850
  • Birthday:  08/08/1965

Hi Kath, welcome to the BBC forum. I have noticed that one of my male budgies makes a wierd nose when he head bobs. If he wasn't in a breeding cage I would probably have been worried about it, as it is a bit like a sharp sounding cough. Now I love hearing it and it makes me smile as I know that he is doing it to chat up his girl and regugitating to feed her.

Feathers.

Guest Phoebe
:blush: Oh dear, one of my budgies makes a number of crazy sounds and she has for as long as I have had her. If you think your budgie is sick, best take him in and have him checked out and it will get you established with the vet in any event, good luck to you and your guy. :P Oh and Welcome, sorry your first visit to BBC had to be of this nature, stick around and enjoy! Let us know how it goes.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

It really sounds to me like budgie mating noise just like Feathers said. :P

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  2,708
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  390

I have to say, the "angry dolphin sound" is my favourite. Konrad does it when I put in fresh bilberry sprigs, she also sneezes when I carry her cage out on the balcony and she gets excited. Only once or twice, but it never fails.

I'm not sure why she does it, but I guess all budgies has their special sound they make :hap:

Someone had an audiofile posted here of the angry dolphin sound, it might be an idea to listen to a couple of audio files of budgies or watch a couple of the videos on youtube to compare with? I mean, to see if any of the sounds from there are the ones your little boy are making. Sorry, I'm pretty tired, so I'm not sure if I'm making any sense at all, but I hope I do

I have yet to find another budgie that sneezes on purpose though.

Edited by Nharvi
Guest josieandangelo

Hello and thankyou all for the reply.

We took Bella to the vet and they did a full "examination" and seems that she is in good shape and the noise she makes comes and goes. Better to be safe then sorry.

I do think it is a regurgitating sound as we saw her do it to her mate the other day.

So it seems just a sign of our young budgie growing up and impressing her mate. :P

Her mate does do something funny that makes us laugh, he often goes to the corner of his cage when the roof is off and scratches his bum up and down and side to side .................(Laughing out loud), has anyone's budgie done this also? :wub:

• Member ID:  2,977
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,031
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  13,850
  • Birthday:  08/08/1965

Hi Josie, well done for taking her to the vet, better to be safe than sorry. Sounds like it is a mating noise. I can understand your concern as it is very strange. Had mine not been in a breeding cabinet when he was doing it I would have ben really worried :P

As for the scratching thing. Yes, many of my budgies do it quite often when they are in breeding condition. They seem to enjoy it :D

Feathers.