Want a tame bird?

Guest xxBudgieLoverxx

Guest Sparky
Bea and Sparky your posts really made me smile! :D

(I can't comment on the size of a budgies brain as I couldn't even work out how to put your two posts as quotes!Could do one but not two!) ^_^

Julie

You can do billions of quotes really easy. Just click the quote button beside the post you want to quote. It should turn red. If you change your mind just click it again and it should turn back to normal!!! :D

YES! thanks Bea :D but now I feel a bit stupid :bluebudgie: since it was so simple :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Julie
Bea and Sparky your posts really made me smile! :)

(I can't comment on the size of a budgies brain as I couldn't even work out how to put your two posts as quotes!Could do one but not two!) :bluebudgie:

Julie

You can do billions of quotes really easy. Just click the quote button beside the post you want to quote. It should turn red. If you change your mind just click it again and it should turn back to normal!!! :D

Yeah,now I feel really stupid too-how easy was that! Thanks Bea! ^_^

Julie

• Member ID:  1
  • Group:  Root Administrators
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  610
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  5,352
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  28/01/1990

Bea and Sparky your posts really made me smile! :P

(I can't comment on the size of a budgies brain as I couldn't even work out how to put your two posts as quotes!Could do one but not two!) ^_^

Julie

Thanks Julie  :D  and don't worry I can't do two quotes either  :blush:

Woah, Im supprised Julie! One of my forum mods unable to use quotes! LOL

:D

The thing is this.

To quote one post, click "reply

To quote more than one, click the + Quote. It will then turn red.

Then click reply, NOT fast reply.

• Member ID:  860
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

Well at least you know now!! :P

Guest hommer2054
:bluebudgie: Hello everyone,

Just a little tip here for any new budgies owners out there!

If you want your budgie to be tame then I would advise to not have a mirror in its cage. This distracts their attentions as they think there is another budgie in their cage... and there isn't  :bluebudgie:

A mirror is not necessary because there are many other toys that can keep your budgie(s) amused!  :(Laughing out loud): My Billy has never seen a mirror in his life and he is the most tame and playful budgie I have ever met!

Toys like balls, olymipic rings, swings and bells really keep him entertained and he literally could play all day if he didn't get tired!  :(

Just a little tip there....  :bluebudgie:

Emma and Billy

xxxx      xxxx

:parrot:

I had a bird ounce used to feed the mirror he never would shut up and talk he must have had at least a hundred words

His name was pretty Joey and he live for fifteen years

If a birds going to talk it will males birds make the best talkers

I used to have a cockatoo which was rescued from a distasteful owner and it would say the most colorful things which I cannot put on here as there are kids reading

And it loved its mirror two

I gave it to a disabled pensioner and they make a lovely couple

So mirrors I would not worry about it just keep saying the same word over and over

And pretty soon you won?t know what hit you

You will be covering him up to keep him quite

Crikey am I doing it again boring boring

Well I hope this helps and have a good day mate

I gave Blinkie a mirror and he's much friendly cause of it!!! He still always wants to be with me and he's learned to make kiss sounds since he had the mirror in the cage (probably unrelated but he still learnt even with a mirror).

:) Once again, i sometimes wonder about their brains!!! :(Laughing out loud): I just love it when they hang upside down!!! :D

My Buttons Gets on his swing and hangs upsidedown then goes all the way rounjd then sits on the swing as if nothing has happened

Opal :unsure:

• 1 month later...
Guest germanshepherdlver

good advice thanks! i want my bugdie to be so tame it will sit on my hand! would it be okay to put one in for like an hour a day?too keep it happy while your busy?

Guest Carmz

my budgies both have full sized mirrors next to there cages on the play gyms (20cm high 15cm long)... they both on selective days sit by it and chat to themselves or just watch themselves for hours...but always still come to me and are as affectionate as ever.... sunny also has a small one on his natural perch but doesnt stay with it for long....

never had any trouble training them or with agression or posession... just depends on the budgies personalitly i guess....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bigglesboy

Biggles also had a mirror, and would only perch near it.

I have had him a week and took it out yesterday and he is moving and playing in his cage much better.

I certainly won't be using a mirror again

Blinkie got territorial when he turned into a nasty teenager but i used that to my advantage. I used it to bribe him out of his cage and as an incentive to come out and play! Now he's totally friendly and looooves sitting at the computer admiring himself in his mirror! :wacko:

Guest Zardos

Hi, Sorry to jump in but I have a question, I've just got 2 birds which I?m trying to tame, but in the cage (they came in) are a mirror, which they go up to and do the head bobbing thing (what's that mean By The Way :) ) and a Fake plastic Budgie, which they largely ignore, they do peck it on the head sometimes when having a squawk though. :angel1:

Oops forgot the Question :o

Is it too late to take these things out ?

(wouldn't want to break any hearts :wub:)

Edited by Zardos

Nope, if they are distracting them then take them out. Just make sure to give them lots of other interesting toys instead. :)

• 2 months later...

My Booboo has three mirrors. Two have perches attached to them and one is suspended from a chain. He literally humps the one with the chain, grabbing it with his legs, pounding at it for ages. Sometimes it looks like he is kickboxing with it. He also sleeps on the perch of one of the others. I wouldn't dare remove any of them as I think it would be cruel and that he'd be miserable without them. He lost his mate Bobby just 2 weeks ago and I think having the mirrors has helped.

I also have a Gouldian finch who lost his mate yesterday and have put a mirror in his cage. He is now enjoying admiring his own reflection. :(Laughing out loud):

Edited by Eily
Guest sqweakie1

:P Well no wonder my sqweakie isn't giving me the time of day.I have several mirrors in her cage. I will take them out first thing tomorrow. Thanks

Nov.19th

I couldn't leave them out she got way too sad,not sure what my next move will be.

Edited by sqweakie1
  • 2 months later...
Guest moonsdestiny
you mentioned bells in thier cages as good toys, i agree that they are as i have bells in my budgie's cage.but you have to make sure the budgie does not pay too much particular attention to the bell as they can see thier reflection in some bells and the same problems can arise as with mirrors.

I have two budgies and i used to have a mirror in their cage. One of them, Gumnut, would give so much attention to the mirror that i took it out. But then i noticed that Gumnut was now using the bell to look at 'that other bird' with. So i had to take the bell out as well!

Blinkie loves his bells i think cause he can see the warped budgie reflection but he also plays with his other toys so i'm not too worried, he's also not posessive of them so if he's having so much fun and is happy i don't see the point in removing his favourite toys. :D

Guest moonsdestiny
Blinkie loves his bells i think cause he can see the warped budgie reflection but he also plays with his other toys so i'm not too worried, he's also not posessive of them so if he's having so much fun and is happy i don't see the point in removing his favourite toys. :)

Yeah, i have two budgies so when Gumnut is engrossed with a mirror/bell poor Wattle is sitting there on the perch all bored and lonely; Wattle isn't interested in mirrors, he 'sees through' them.

So that's a good reason to ditch those toys then. :D I just have to say that Gumnut and Wattle are THE most gorgeous names!! :) You should post some photos of them in the pictures forum. :)

Guest moonsdestiny
So that's a good reason to ditch those toys then. :P I just have to say that Gumnut and Wattle are THE most gorgeous names!! :) You should post some photos of them in the pictures forum. :D

I will as soon as i can (might have to borrow my brother's digital camera)! :)