• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  236
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1,695
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/12/1985

Hi everyone,

I'll introduce you to my cutie budgie (Buster - it's a baby picture) he's very funny, and says about 10 words/phrases since I got him a year ago, and my baby meyers (Amira)

birdbird_edited.jpgAmira2-25-06.jpg

I'm hoping that someone could answer a question for me: this past week both my roommate and I had the flu and today I noticed that Buster's droppings changed to a much darker color (almost black) and he's been vomiting (it looks just like reguritation but it was about 1/2 tsp in the 2 times I saw him doing it) as well as being lethargic and having a really fluffed up appearance. Do you know what this is and what I need to do? I'm hoping that I can get him into a vet tomorrow - the nearest avian vet is 60 miles away but there's two regular clinics in my town, is the regular clinic okay if I can't get to the avian vet?

Hi and welcome. Birds can't catch our colds, but it certainly does sound like he is ill. An avian vet is ideal, as normal vets tend to fail to do all the necesary tests. Most illnesses in birds have exactly the same symptoms, so tests are very necesary. If you really can't get to an avian vet, then ask the vet you do see to ring and ask advice from the avian vet. If you don't feel confident with the treatment your bird is getting, then say so! And let us know what your told, and we'll give our opinion as well

Guest Phoebe

:ausb: Don't know what to tell you but Buster does need to see somebody, I had a vet for almost 15 years and he was just wonderful with my dog but he himself admitted that he just had "basic" bird knowledge so that is why I take my birds to an avian vet. Maybe phone them first to see see if they have "advanced" bird knowledge locally but a real avian vet is your best bet. Good luck to you and little Buster, he's a sweetie. :grbud:

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

welcome to our forums, Buster does need to see a vet for sure, and Amria has she had contact with Buster because if so she should be seen too. Keep us updated, oh and yes I would make it an avian vet birds are so different then dogs and cats.

• Member ID:  2,104
  • Topic Count:  30

I'm hoping that the avian vet can take him tomorrow, do you know how much a visit usually costs. I'm in college so money is tight but I don't mind going in the hole for him, he's a great friend. The breeder I got the meyers from tells me I should put his cage and a heater in the bathroom, turn on the shower and let it get really steamy for right now. Amira has been at my fiancee's apartment and has had no contact with Buster, so at least that's good.

Guest Phoebe

:ausb: I believe it's about $40 Canadian for a consultation but then they drop the price on followup visits, don't know about the USA but you are doing the right thing. :grbud:

It is around 40.00 here in the US but remember every vet is different, so I would ask when you call what the office visit would be and a round park figure on possible antibiotics they may give her.

He's looking somewhat better - I live in an apartment so I pretty much have unlimited hot water and don't have to pay for it so he's getting a steam bath :grbud: The carpet in here was replaced a month ago with DuPont Stainmaster, and we think he might have ingested a carpet fiber cuz he likes to run around picking at the carpet, but he'll definitly have to see a vet.

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

My fingers are crossed for you. I was going to post that in the mean tim eto get him warm as you can, a normal bed lap shining into his cage as close as possible give off heat that he can sit under. 35-40 deegees c (don't know it in f) is best for them while they are ill, my vet (avian) told me to do this when my Freckle was ill. The heat makes it so they don't what to use enrgy to keep their temps up and fight what ever it is that is wrong with them. Keeping the cage covered will also help for he will sleep longer to save energy as well.

I do have a question. Are you sure he was sick? you said that it looked 'just like reguritation' which is why i'm asking. When a budgie (or bid) is vomiting it's a violent looked action where the head is tossed ans seed is thrown everywhere and tend sto get stuck to the head. It will also make it look as if they are sweating as the feathers are stuck together. Where as reguritation is a gentle bobbing of the head.

Another thing if you still can, collect a bit of the seed his has 'thrown' up for the vet to check and look around the cage or on your friend for any yellow mucus type gunk. (that's not a good thing to have) If you do find it tell your vet (if he doesnt' ask)

Yup it was vomit, it looked like he was convulsing and throwing his head from side to side, it was the stuff that came out that looks like normal regurgitation. I took him to the avian vet this morning and it wasn't good - he has digested blood in his stool. I couldn't afford an x-ray, he may have some blockage, it would have been a 220 dollar vet bill but they gave me an antibiotic called marbofloxacin to give him for 7-10 days and told me to give him gatorade w/ an eye dropper so he stays hydrated. He was so sick that he had to have fluids injected and only weighed 26 grams :( So hopefully all he has is an infection. She thinks he may have eaten some carpet fibers :)

• Member ID:  2,097
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  191
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1,315

:) Poor little boy. Hope he gets better soon!

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

:D I hope he get better fast, keep the heat on him.

I like the tip with the gatorade.

• Member ID:  1,917
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

I hope that your budgie improves.

Wow that vet is good! The blood in his poo is gone and he's a lot perkier. I still haven't seen him drink anything so I've been syringe feeding him some gatorade every few hours and it seems to be doing the trick (even though he is sooooo mad at me). I wrapped up his cage in an electric blanket so he's all nice and warm. :bluebudgie: I'm so relieved, I would have been devastated if he'd died. So long as he does well over the next week he should be fine!

• Member ID:  2,060
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  861
  • Achievement Points:  6,195
  • Birthday:  25/07/1978

Glad to hear he is getting better!! :bluebudgie:

keep us updated, and fingers crossed on a speedy recovery. I have to say this post is wonderful to show the importance of vet visits. Alot of people will try to get around them but our feathered friends are too fragile to be playing around with their lives.

Definitly, and what's sad is that everyone I told about taking him to the vet said "I would never bring a bird to the vet, I would just get a new bird". He was supposed to go in next week to get a wellness check before he and Amira would be around each other. He's still doing great!

awesome

He's still doing super! He seems to have gained the weight back and is acting like his normal self :hap:

:hap: