Blind Budgie

Guest kt0712

Guest kt0712

I need some help.... :unsure::unsure: I just recently found out that my budgie is blind. The vet said he might have a brain tumor and really had no helpful hints for me. If anyone has any intelligent suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Guest tequilabudge

oh my im so sorry for your budgie! i know how it feels to be told something that you have no control over and i also know how it feels to have to tell people bad news too, on either end it is not a good feeling. sometimes birds can function normally with a brain tumor (depending on where it is) even if it makes them blind, people and animals alike can adapt quickly to not having any sight. the only thing i can say to help a little is to not move the things in his cage around (toys, food, water, etc) so that he can consiously navigate around the cage and get food and water without bumping into things.

Guest kt0712

Thank you so much for your concern. The vet said the same thing as you, not to move things aroud too much. I just feel bad for him because he looks so scared all the time and he screams if he hears noises close to him. I hope that he will eventually feel more comfortable and will be a little happier. It's such a shame because he just lost his partner about a month ago, now he's lonely and blind. Poor baby, he's such a sweet bird too. Thanks again.

• Member ID:  117
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  417
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  4,380
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  15/06/1962

how sad that is ! as well as doing what tequila says, i would also get into the habit of talking in a very low voice to your budgie whenever you are approaching his cage, so he is aware of your approach and isnt startled when you suddenly 'appear'. maybe also if you could keep some soft music playing quietly in the room whenever he is alone, so he isnt sat in total silence aswel as darkness? i dont know what else to suggest really, except to closely watch your pet for signs of depression, not eating etc. im sure he'l adapt to his new situation in time. give him lots of quiet, gentle love to help him through his adaptation to his new way of life.

Guest kt0712

I'm going to try some of your suggestions and see how he does, hopefully he'll be a little happier. Thanks guys, you're the best! :unsure:

hows your little pal doing now? :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kt0712

He's doing okay and he's seems to be adjusting. Sometimes I let him sit in the window and I put some seed down for him to nibble on. He really seems to enjoy it and is less anxious than before. I feel bad because he obviously won't fly so he never gets to use his wings. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Thanks for your concern I really appreciate it.

its probably a blessing that he wont fly, imagine the harm he could do to himself. id just keep on as you are doing, keep giving him lots of attention, maybe carry him round on your shoulder so he get some 'movement, but i wouldnt venture far with him at first in case it spooks him, just walk slowly and smoothly round the room, talking to him all the time. does he like baths? perhaps bathtime could be a nice treat for him, but let him hear the water being splashed about a bit first so he learns what to expect. help him do almost everything that he could do before basically, but under carefully controlled conditions. i do hope he continues to progress well, you clearly love him and care deeply about his welfare, so im sure he's leading a pleasant life, despite his disability. keep up the good, loving work :)