• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  395
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

This is what my birds are getting.

Budgie mix no1,millet spray,iodine block,cuttlebone,

oystershell,charcoal,Grit,Pym bird tonic,Lettuce,egg mix food.

I have seen many other products like Sea salt,Aves Probiotics,

Aves Maxixand the list goes on.

Are my birds getting enough vitamins and minerals,

or should i be buying all these products.

Guest eterri

A good seed mix and the cuttlebone are all you need from that list. (Maybe egg mix but I don't know much about it so I'll let someone else comment on that one!) Other than that, offer them a large variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, sprouts, etc. and they should do well!

You don't need to feed them grit. They hull their seeds so grit is not necessary. It can cause crop impaction so the way I see it, why put that at even a tiny risk over something they don't even need to have? :)

There are also really great products out there that you can buy to feed your budgies. Beak Appetit is good and if you do a search you should find a recent thread talking about it. Wheat grass is also great for them.

Guest morethanrubies

Mine get a mix of LaFeber's Avi-cakes & various LaFeber's nutri-berries (in flavors like fruit/veggie), and I have a calcium perch since they never touched their cuttlebone. I'm still working on getting them to eat fresh fruit & vegetables. *glaring at picky budgies* Also, someone on here (pixie25?) posted that her vet said cuttlebone needs to be replaced every 2 weeks due to bacteria build-up.

Millet is supposed to be given sparingly, as a treat, as it's pretty fattening & can be quite addictive for budgies. (Like sugar cubes for horses...pretty soon they won't do anything without a sugar cube reward.)

Good luck, hope this helps!

Guest BUUZBEE
This is what my birds are getting.

Budgie mix no1,millet spray,iodine block,cuttlebone,

oystershell,charcoal,Grit,Pym bird tonic,Lettuce,egg mix food.

I have seen many other products like Sea salt,Aves Probiotics,

Aves Maxixand the list goes on.

Are my birds getting enough vitamins and minerals,

or should i be buying all these products.

holy moly! my gang gets good quality seed, fresh fruits and vegies, and cuttlebone. mine are all healthy, and produced healthy babie :)

You only really need to feed the probiotics when they have been on medication for an extended period of time. It just helps restore the gut back to normal.

• Member ID:  860
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

I give my budgies Trill Seed Mix, egg and biscuit, daily vegies and cuttle bone. A lot of the other stuff is only put on the market to get money and isn't really needed. :)

Guest pixie25

definitely agree vitamin supplements are not necessary as long as the birds get fresh fruit and veg daily. grit is also not necessary, only finches and canaries and other softbills require grit for digestion.

lettuce has very little nutritional value, wheatgrass is fantastic, they go mad about it and its very good for them, carrot with the tops, broccoli and leafy green veggies like spinach are also very very good. apples without the seeds, honeydew melon some budgies will eat, although not all like fruit.

fruit and veg should be nearly 50% of the diet in my opinion. seed should be 1/4 of the diet, with eggfood/pellets/ cooked food (such as brown rice/beak apptetit/hard boiled egg/birdie bread) making up the other 1/4. well thats what i try to use as my rough guide. the old wives tale that veggies cause diarrhoea is generally not very true for birds. unless you only feed lettuce or cucumber or something.

the only thing that i think has been missed is an iodine block along with the cuttlebone. i chose to give an iodine block because it is very important to their diet and may not be included enough in a varied diet. iodine deficiency can cause all sorts of problems the worst being thyroid problems. its imprtant to replace cuttlebones once they have been chewed down and strart to look ratty and also if they get any poo on them or they get damp because they can harbour bacteria :o

• Member ID:  2,230
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  395

Thanks that has helped.

One thing Wheatgrass can i only get it from the internet.

Not sure if petshops will sell it.

• Member ID:  2,138
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,481
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  13,140
  • Birthday:  10/02/1973

In addition to the regular foods, I also have liquid supplements that I give them in their water once a fortnight (alternating).

Liquid calcium (dog calcium is best as you get more for less money, calcium is calcium)

Vitamins & Minerals

Superbloom (especially good for when they are breeding)

Every 3 months I worm them whether they show signs of it or not.

I give them every six months for a 3 week period (helps prevent liver disease)

Liquid vitamin B (human variety: Vit B is Vit :), Iodine & Molassis (smelly)

I also have many medications on hand if they get sick - especially Megabac S as megabacterioses is 100% fatal when you actually know the bird is sick.

Guest JJ2571

My two boys will only eat budgie seed. millet and lettuce at the moment. Is there anything that I should give them until they get the idea of eating veggies and fruit. They also have cuttlefish bone and iodine block in their cage.

My two boys will only eat budgie seed. millet and lettuce at the moment.  Is there anything that I should give them until they get the idea of eating veggies and fruit.  They also have cuttlefish bone and iodine block in their cage.

A general multivitamin and mineral supplement which can be added to their water is good. You know, they'd have to eat a kilogram of cuttlefish bone every week to get the same benefit as a liquid calcium supplement? Plus cuttlefish bone can get dirty (disease) and not all birds will eat it at all (mine can attest to this!).

Karen. :)

If you find the budgies aren't drinking with the supplement, like mine did (she wouldn't drink for four days, even though the supp was only in for one day!) you can mix up some water and vitamin supp and then syringe about 0.03ml of this, which is about four drops into your budgies mouth. This way you know they are getting at least some vitamins. It MUST be done to the instructions on the back of the vitamins. This suggestion is only for if you have one that dilutes into water, other types I would have no idea. I am meant to do this once a week, but it's effecting the antibiotics she's on somehow, so I have to wait!

Guest pixie25
In addition to the regular foods, I also have liquid supplements that I give them in their water once a fortnight (alternating).

Liquid calcium (dog calcium is best as you get more for less money, calcium is calcium)

Vitamins & Minerals

I also have many medications on hand if they get sick - especially Megabac S as megabacterioses is 100% fatal when you actually know the bird is sick.

if you dont mind me asking, why do you feel that many supplements are necessary for healthy adult birds? it has been proven in humans that taking too many vitamin supplements can actually cause more harm than good. do you think it would be the same with budgies?

i have read that feeding many vitamin supplements together with a healthy diet can cause vitamin toxicosis in birds. supplements are a quick fix, for short term use and usually only necessary for sick birdies, under the advice of your vet. its a little bit different for breeding budgies as they need more calcium in their system.

i think it is un-natural to feed so many supplements, and vitamin supplements are definitely not a substitute for a healthy balanced diet. if you can get them eating veggies (especially green leafy ones) they will get all the vitamins they need.

also, i dont think megabac s is available outside of australia? its not available in the uk to my knowledge. my budgies have megabacteriosis and they are on treatment for it. i hope it isnt 100% fatal. i have read case studies of birds that have survived it.

A general multivitamin and mineral supplement which can be added to their water is good.  You know, they'd have to eat a kilogram of cuttlefish bone every week to get the same benefit as a liquid calcium supplement?  Plus cuttlefish bone can get dirty (disease) and not all birds will eat it at all (mine can attest to this!).

Vitamins & Minerals

if you dont mind me asking, why do you feel that many supplements are necessary for healthy adult birds? it has been proven in humans that taking too many vitamin supplements can actually cause more harm than good. do you think it would be the same with budgies?

i have read that feeding many vitamin supplements together with a healthy diet can cause vitamin toxicosis in birds. supplements are a quick fix, for short term use and usually only necessary for sick birdies, under the advice of your vet. its a little bit different for breeding budgies as they need more calcium in their system.

i think it is un-natural to feed so many supplements, and vitamin supplements are definitely not a substitute for a healthy balanced diet. if you can get them eating veggies (especially green leafy ones) they will get all the vitamins they need.

also, i dont think megabac s is available outside of australia? its not available in the uk to my knowledge. my budgies have megabacteriosis and they are on treatment for it. i hope it isnt 100% fatal. i have read case studies of birds that have survived it.

A general multivitamin and mineral supplement which can be added to their water is good.? You know, they'd have to eat a kilogram of cuttlefish bone every week to get the same benefit as a liquid calcium supplement?? Plus cuttlefish bone can get dirty (disease) and not all birds will eat it at all (mine can attest to this!).

Many seeds in Australia lack the essential nutrients owing to poor soils, so as well as supplying heaps of vegies I also supplement them.

My birds have only been sick once (megabacteriosis) and my vet (my birds' actually) said I have the healthiest birds he has ever seen (except for the sick ones). That can be attributed to the maintenance program of supplements as well as their regular diet. The other losses are due to accidents/fights etc.

I don't over supplement, I supplement them every fortnight alternating = 2 treatments a month, 1 of each per month.

My birds breed year round (limit 2-3 clutches each per year depending on clutch size) so the calcium supplement is to help with the development of the chicks & to replace what the hens lose during egg production, I only give calcium supplement once, maybe twice a month if there are alot of babies. My birds will make a calcium bell last 12 months so I have to supplement them. The only blocks they demolish are the breeding aids & charcoal ones.

You can get megabac S from www.vetafarm.com.au and they do send overseas. It cost me $110 less member discount when I bought it from them in May this year. They also have good information on megabacteriosis. :)

Edited by karenfernvale
Guest pixie25

thanks karen! :)

i will have a look at that site, one of my budgies is very seriously ill with it at the moment but the other one doesnt seem to have been affected by it very much if at all. i am awaiting further test results.

i am trying to absorb as much info as possible at the moment.

the only vitamin supplements i have are a multivitamin from the vets to give them when they are recovering from an infection. its quite strong stuff and it says that it shouldnt be used for more than 30 consecutive days, so that why i asked.

thanks for your help x

thanks karen! :)

i will have a look at that site, one of my budgies is very seriously ill with it at the moment but the other one doesnt seem to have been affected by it very much if at all. i am awaiting further test results.

i am trying to absorb as much info as possible at the moment.

the only vitamin supplements i have are a multivitamin from the vets to give them when they are recovering from an infection. its quite strong stuff and it says that it shouldnt be used for more than 30 consecutive days, so that why i asked.

thanks for your help x

If you have the patience, try and dissolve a cough drop (not in water just the drop), I haven't tried to dissolve one myself but I have been told it is extremely hard and takes a long time. Feed the dissolved cough drop to the bird (this was suggested by Bob Donnelly, a top avian vet in Queensland), this is supposed to do the same function as Megabac S. Only trouble is trying to dissolve it. Just a thought.

(Laughing out loud) to your sick babies, my thoughts are with you. :)

Karen.

Guest pixie25

they are on amphotericin b in the intravenous (sp?) form at the moment. we tried to get hold of the water soluble form but with no success.

i have also heard that acid, can disrupt the megabacteria and stop it multiplying. someone suggested adding apple cider vinegar to the water.

i dont know if it would be safe to give a cough drop along with the amphotericin, as it is toxic in the intravenous form. at the moment we dont know whether it will work as absorbtion is quite low when it is given in its raw state.

i will certainly look into it, thanks again x