• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  30
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Well , Hello there and this is my first post so hey everyone! I've been lerking around the forums and just reading everything for a couple of days now so I thought hey ho , this forums have loads to offer and many people to help so why not just take advantage of it and help others out.

Okay , I purchased 10 budgies and 3 pairs were bought as 'proven' pairs , yet only one pair have had eggs because I purchased them with eggs , 4 infertile and one was fertile hatched and is 11 days old and the parents are doing a fantastic job.

The other pair that I purchased , are visiting the nest box constantly , however they only poop in the nest box well the female does , all poop everywhere , she looks like shes going to lay and her cere has gone crusty brown but its been happening since I got them around 1 week and 3 days.

The next pair I removed from the breeding cage as she laid one infertile egg , then stopped , then i left them for 3 weeks , nothing was happening removed them and placed them with the other birds.

Now I have 6 birds , that I need to pair up but the dilemma i'm in is when do I pair them up? Do I keep a watch out to see if they pair themselves up , also I'm coming towards the winter in the U.K , so when will the breeding season start for me? Along with this I have a budgie with a pink cere which was given to me with a hen telling me theyre a pair but I have doubts that its a female if someone can confirm what gender it is , that would be great. Thank you. I'll try post images , cant seem to see it on the phone ?

• Member ID:  8,184
  • Group:  Site Members

Bump

• Member ID:  6,849
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  268
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1,815
  • Birthday:  05/05/1999

You can try separating the females and the males for a few days often gets them in the mood breeding temps vairy I think about 15 would be the limit as it can be noticeably warmer in the nesting box also you can expect eggs 9 days after mating

• Member ID:  8,184

Hello , thanks for your reply I dont understand what you mean by ' breeding temps vairy' , also the budgie with the dark pink cere is it male or female.

You suggested that I seperate cocks from hens , I shall do this but how long do I seperate them for?

• Member ID:  7,327
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  376
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2,285

We can't help you with the gender without a picture as it's just guessing by description. It is much easier to pick up things with the cere with a picture.

Budgies will breed all year around if allowed but it is not advised to breed them when temperatures are high.

Separating the birds can be done for a week or longer, just makes the birds eager to greet the opposite sex when introduced back together

Edited by BUDGIE L0V3R
  • 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  7,367
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,860
  • Birthday:  29/04/1997
  • Device:  Windows

So something that I found helped to encourage breeding is feeding them silver beet. I read somewhere that all the vitamins, minerals and fiber in it, give them the things they need to encourage breeding, and sure enough after feeding them silver beet for a month or so, they started breeding (This may have been coincidence, but its worth trying) As BUDGIE L0V3R said, without pictures we can't tell you without guessing, so yeah whenever you have time, post some pictures =) (Photobucket works best for adding pictures on)