• Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  376
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2,285
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi all,

I would like some help to identify my pieds, I think most of them are dominant but I am not sure

Pied #1

Back

photo41.jpg

Front

photo51.jpg

Pied #2

Back

photo21-1.jpg

Front

photo1-1.jpg

Pied #3

Please refer to above picture for front view

Back

photo11-1.jpg

Pied #4

Back

photo31.jpg

Front

photo5-1.jpg

Has iris rings but has violet and silver cheek patches, flesh colored skin and flesh cere

Dark eyed clear with suffusion?

photo4-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Edited by BUDGIE L0V3R

• Member ID:  7,327
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0

After doing some searching would I be right to say pied 1 is a light green clear flight pied, pied 2 is a grey recessive pied, pied 3 is a golden face opaline dominant pied and number 4 is a cobalt double factor dominant pied?

or is pied 3 also a double factor dominant pied?

Also would pairing pied 2 to my Dark Eyed Clear produce more Dark Eyed Clears?

Thanks

Edited by BUDGIE L0V3R
  • 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

I would lean towards pied #1 being dominant pied, not clearflight pied. But the two can be similar, so who knows?

Pied #3 looks green to me in those photos, but I can see how in real life it might look more like a goldenface.

Wow, the iris rings on Pied #4 really throw things off! I would swear he was a recessive pied, if he hadn't had the iris rings. He may be a DF dom pied. I have heard that even single factors can look like this, and that only by test breeding will you know whether he's double factor or not.

Your DEC with suffusion is interesting to me. I have had two birds like this myself, and a friend has one. I was told they are probably just regular recessive pieds, but with extremely pied out markings (meaning no marks show). Supposedly the DEC cannot have those patches of color on the body. Birds that have suffusion will usually have just a pale overall sheen of color, not the actual body color you are seeing on his rump and around his neck.

But I have a theory that just like any mutation can have poorly marked specimens, maybe the DECs can have patches of body color even when they are not supposed to. If you were able to breed him to a hen that carries no recessive pied whatsoever, then if he were a DEC, he ought to throw some Clearflight pied chicks. Then you would know. My hen like him had 10 chicks, but unfortunately, her mate was split to recessive pied, and also spangle and dilute. So of the non-recessive pied chicks, some were normal, but the ones with spangle and dilute, it was hard to tell if they could have also been CFP, so it was inconclusive. There was also one chick exactly like the mother, which makes me think it must be the Dark Eyed Clear, because to duplicate the same recessive pied markings in two birds is very unusual. Recessive pieds are mostly uniquely marked, and don't usually come out with the same markings their parent(s) had.

If your cock is truly a Dark Eyed Clear, then yes, pairing him with a recessive pied should produce 50% recessive pied chicks and 50% dark eyed clear chicks. (Unless the male happens to be double factor for the CFP, in which case you would get 100% DEC.)

Hi Finnie,

Thanks for the reply,

I would lean towards pied #1 being dominant pied, not clearflight pied. But the two can be similar, so who knows?

I originally thought dominant pied, but I was uncertain and was kind of hoping that it would be a clear flight.

Pied #3 looks green to me in those photos, but I can see how in real life it might look more like a goldenface.

Yes this female is green, but when she was younger she was a blue. I said golden face as the blue has turned into a sea foam green.

Wow, the iris rings on Pied #4 really throw things off! I would swear he was a recessive pied, if he hadn't had the iris rings. He may be a DF dom pied. I have heard that even single factors can look like this, and that only by test breeding will you know whether he's double factor or not.

I have had people who have seen him comment about him being recessive and I point out the iris rings. He is a little confusing, his mother was a recessive and his father is pied #1.

If your cock is truly a Dark Eyed Clear, then yes, pairing him with a recessive pied should produce 50% recessive pied chicks and 50% dark eyed clear chicks. (Unless the male happens to be double factor for the CFP, in which case you would get 100% DEC.

I am wanting to produce some more DEC, I am wanting to pair him to a recessive which would then hopefully as you said produce 50-50.

I've just noticed that the bird I thought was a DEC has developed iris rings which would make him a DF spangle wouldn't it? I was having a look through some old topics and I found these posts which show DF spangles with heave suffusion so it is possible for him. Any thoughts?

And this is the link to where I got this quote:

http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/index.php?showtopic=28930&st=20

That's not my bird but I ask the owner about mutations of this budgie and he said that this is yellow face double factor spangle. He is one of the breeders in Poland who knows the budgies mutations the best.

I do not believe this bird S3700071.JPG

is a YF DF spangle.

Here's one of mine robsbirds014.jpg

robsbirds012.jpg

There was yellow DF spangle posted on this forum in the past (was it Splat's???) with MASSIVE suffusion, so much so that it did look like a very beautiful clearwing

Here's that bird Nubbly biggrin.gif

YellowDFtopbirds.jpg

I'm gonna have to tell you people to pull your heads in aren't I.

YES the top bird is a DF Spangle. LOOK AT THE CHEEK PATCHES - are the mottled violet & white???? NO they are pure white. It's a DF Spangle okay!

And no kaz the bird I was thinking about was this one.

P1030868a.jpg

P1030864a.jpg

Also a DF spangle. YES IT IS - LOOK AT THE CHEEK PATCH! okay?!

• 2 weeks later...

has 2 chicks in the box which are starting to get a few feathers and are looking spangle which would indicate him being DF.