Sign in to follow this  
Aquafroste

New To Breeding, Need Help

I am very new to breeding budgies so I don't know much about it. I tried cleaning the cage today but after I took the babies out and cleaned the box halfway through the budgie parents started getting very terrified and they flew all over the cage. I don't know if the mother budgie will abandon the nest! What should I do?

Hi Aquafroste, welcome to the forum. I split your question off from that old post you wrote it in and gave it a topic of it's own. It will be more likely to get noticed this way.

More than likely once you have put the babies back in the box, the mother will calm down and go back in. (Which by the time I am reading your post, you will already have seen.) We take babies out of nests all the time for inspection, photo ops, cleaning the box, etc. Mother budgies are pretty cool with all of this. Let us know if she doesn't go back in, or if you have questions about other things.

There is a lot of helpful information and resources in the FAQs section, and also some good articles and threads pinned in each area of the forum. Have fun reading up about breeding budgies! Hopefully the rest of your experience will go smoothly.

It's been a few days. How are your chicks now? What about the one you PM'd me about with the splayed legs?