Droppings

Guest caz

Hello,

I have 2 budgies, a male and a female, both 3 years old. I do not breed them - they are kept in the same cage. At the same time, over night, they both started dropping what looks like Rice Crispies or Rice Bubbles and no longer are their droppings black and white! I have not changed their diet - their eating habits and behaviour has remained the same. Could it be caused by worms? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

An update...

I have been told that my budgies have an infection of the pancreas. They can be treated with antibiotics and food supplements.

... strange that this should happen to the both of them at the exact same time...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tequilabudge

it is probably a bit late to be saying this but you should go get a fecal done at your avian vet. smaller birds like budgies often get little sicknesses that can be dectected in it's fecal matter, things like parasites are rarely seen in the fecal matter of larger birds. one more thing about poop, what goes in must come out, if you feed your bird a blueberry don't be surprized if you discover blue poop!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Toria
:o This could be avian chlymdia! One of my budgies had it, it is extremely infectious, which would explain why they both have it. You need to get them to an avian vet, they can prescribe an antibiotic to clear it up but act asap because they can start to pass blood and die.
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest tequilabudge

i think we should start a discussion on "avian chlymidia" (or psittacosis as it is more commonly known as) brought up by toria. it is a very deadly disease and bird owners should know what it is and how it is transmitted BECAUSE IF YOUR BIRD HAS IT YOU CAN GET IT TOO AND THE RESULTS COULD BE FATAL. i know a lot about this disease and would be glad to share my knowledge.