• Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  376
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2,285
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi,

I am currently attempting to hand tame a young budgie, it is just under 3 months of age and is going really well. It looks as though it will be a female, it likes to bite my finger but not hard only in a friendly way. Is their any way this can be stopped?

Thanks

• Member ID:  7,065
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  391
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2,185
  • Birthday:  02/05/1936

Hi Always have a piece of millet, apple or any treat she can nibble at, in your other hand. Watch her body language &

before she bites. Gently push her beak back up with the index finger of your other hand & say NO BITE..& offer

her a bite of the treat to distract her. Get her to concentrate on the treat. Offering her a bite before she bites you...

• Member ID:  7,401
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  298
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  1,895
  • Birthday:  28/02/1999

My budgie never bit me when he was really young, but developed a habit of it as he got older. But now I've managed to control his biting. Here's how I did it:

I read a lot, but what worked was this: I gave him lots of attention when he wasn't biting me, and stopped talking to him when he did bite me. I also took my hand away when he bit me, and took my hand away if he snapped at it or looked like he was going to bite. That's the important thing: watch her body laungage. Learn what she does right before biting, and move your hand away when she does that behavior.

The only problem with this method is that if your budgie is biting it playfully this might not work, because my budgie was doing it to tell me "get away from me", and now he just beak-butts me to tell me that. Ignoring her biting and giving her lots of attention when she's not biting, and giving her lots of snacks and toys to chew on should help.

That's just my opinion :) Good luck.

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Keep in mind their beak is their hands, it is how they examine the world so if it isn't painful she is learning her new world. Only train her out of bad biting - where the latch on hard. You should keep in mind your actions as well: did you move too fast and scare her, was she happy doing something else at the time?