• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  305
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

All my budgies were from outdoor aviaries so I thought I should worm them. But how do I worm them when they are not yet handleable? I have seen that they use of Ivemectin is recomended but it's a spot on one. I also read someones canary died because of the toxicity of the drops.

i worm my tortoises with panacur, would I be able to use that for my birds too?

• Member ID:  7,065
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  391
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2,185
  • Birthday:  02/05/1936

Hi You only need to worm birds if they have worms. Check poo for evidence...B.J.

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Hi Phoenix, To each his own, I personally dose all my birds with a drop of Ivomectin (for birds,it may be sold under another name there) I do mine regardless, whenever I bring a new bird home I use it. If you have any other problems it may clear them as well. I leave them in quarantine for 3-4 weeks to make sure they are healthy before adding them to Aviary.

I don't know the tortoise wormer but it's horse's for course's, I'd only use a specific bird wormer for birds, reptile wormer maybe toxic for birds and vice versa. :)

• Member ID:  7,457

Hi Phoenix, To each his own, I personally dose all my birds with a drop of Ivomectin (for birds,it may be sold under another name there) I do mine regardless, whenever I bring a new bird home I use it. If you have any other problems it may clear them as well. I leave them in quarantine for 3-4 weeks to make sure they are healthy before adding them to Aviary.

I don't know the tortoise wormer but it's horse's for course's, I'd only use a specific bird wormer for birds, reptile wormer maybe toxic for birds and vice versa. :)

Is that a drop on the back of the neck of each bird? Is there one I can put in their food or water so I don't have to catch them. They aren't used to me yet. I would like to worm them because they were all in an outdoor aviary and just want to be sure they are all clear.

• Member ID:  5,144
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  267
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,440

Hi panacur should be fine to worm them with, it is what most of your older birdkeepers used to use just not sure on the dose rates.

Also budgies can tend to go without water for a long time so it is difficult to know how much medication they take in.

If you could find someone to teach you how to use a crop needle it will be a great tool for you if you intend breeding your birds.

Cheers Jenny

Hi panacur should be fine to worm them with, it is what most of your older birdkeepers used to use just not sure on the dose rates.

Also budgies can tend to go without water for a long time so it is difficult to know how much medication they take in.

If you could find someone to teach you how to use a crop needle it will be a great tool for you if you intend breeding your birds.

Cheers Jenny

Thank you for your help. I've watched a youtube video of using a crop needle. I think I'll get my vet to show me how to do it before I try.

Same here, yes it is one drop on neck for Ivamectin. Can you walk into your cage/aviary or not? If you can walk into it, you can use a small net to catch each bird to treat them. Obviously they don't like it, when you catch them (with a glove on if you have hens l.o.l), it would be easier with 2 people, I manage by myself by holding bird and gently blowing the feathers up so you can place drop on skin.

If you have a large cage you would have to have a 2nd cage handy, indoors so you don't loose any, catch each bird,treat it and place in 2nd cage until they are all done then return them to their original cage. Hope this helps.

Same here, yes it is one drop on neck for Ivamectin. Can you walk into your cage/aviary or not? If you can walk into it, you can use a small net to catch each bird to treat them. Obviously they don't like it, when you catch them (with a glove on if you have hens l.o.l), it would be easier with 2 people, I manage by myself by holding bird and gently blowing the feathers up so you can place drop on skin.

If you have a large cage you would have to have a 2nd cage handy, indoors so you don't loose any, catch each bird,treat it and place in 2nd cage until they are all done then return them to their original cage. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your help. I do have a walk in aviary or is it a flight, not realyl sure. I will have to handle them soon. I know how to handle birds I have 3 parrots and have had birds for many years. I just worry about these after on dropped dead of fright a week after we got them.

Here's my Aviary/flight

100_1314_zpsbdec4ab8.jpg

Great looking Aviary/Flight. Is it indoors? Do your birds get access to sunlight? If you have all pet birds it should be great. Good to be able to watch what your birds get up to. :)

P.S. I wouldn't worry about the one you lost. I had one fly past me in Aviary screeching and fell to floor dead also. I think it's just an odd event, you'll probably have the rest for years yet.

Edited by robyn

• Member ID:  7,065
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  391
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2,185
  • Birthday:  02/05/1936

Hi An Aviary is where birds, eat sleep & play all in the same area...... A flight is the play area attached to separate

eating & sleeping quarters....B.J.

Great looking Aviary/Flight. Is it indoors? Do your birds get access to sunlight? If you have all pet birds it should be great. Good to be able to watch what your birds get up to. :)

P.S. I wouldn't worry about the one you lost. I had one fly past me in Aviary screeching and fell to floor dead also. I think it's just an odd event, you'll probably have the rest for years yet.

Yes the aviary is indoors. There isn't mush sun around in the UK most of the time but when there is The doors will be open to let in the heat and whatever sun can bounce in.I supliment them with vitamin D3 in their seed so they don't suffer any deficiencies.

Hi An Aviary is where birds, eat sleep & play all in the same area...... A flight is the play area attached to separate

eating & sleeping quarters....B.J.

Thanks for that, I have an aviary then.