• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  215
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

So I'm finally making some progress with taming Echo (my hen) - she now jumps onto my hand within 30-60 sec of me putting it in the cage, chirps at me and will play with my hair through the bars. She quite happily will eat from my hand. She seems quite enthusiastic. Her boyfriend, however, won't do anymore than give my arm a tentative peck before running away.

It's weird timing for her to change her mind about being friendly - I'm going to be getting a baby budgie in a couple of weeks with the intention of taming it, cos I had given up on her ever liking me. :/

I'm just wondering, where do I go from here? Do I seperate them and work purely on Echo? Will her boys reluctance effect her? They're quite bonded, but I'm not even going to consider breeding until next year - cos I think she's too pretty not to give her a go. ;) But if and when that happens, will breeding her undo any progress? Or do I leave her with her boyfriend and just be friends with her, and get the young budgie to be our tame pet?

• Member ID:  7,411
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  19
  • Achievement Points:  215

Actually ignore - Echo's too bitey to be a tame pet I think - especially with little kids. And I might separate her from her boyfriend anyway as she's being a moody, mean budgie to him. Think budgie PMS :P

• Member ID:  7,065
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  391
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2,185
  • Birthday:  02/05/1936

So I'm finally making some progress with taming Echo (my hen) - she now jumps onto my hand within 30-60 sec of me putting it in the cage, chirps at me and will play with my hair through the bars. She quite happily will eat from my hand. She seems quite enthusiastic. Her boyfriend, however, won't do anymore than give my arm a tentative peck before running away.

Hello. Not all birds are as quick at being trusting & friendly (Just like us humans) He's also picking up on your dislike disappointment in him, so he doesn't trust you yet either. You have to be patient.

It's weird timing for her to change her mind about being friendly - I'm going to be getting a baby budgie in a couple of weeks with the intention of taming it, cos I had given up on her ever liking me. :/

She won't change her mind about being friendly....Adding a young bird to a bonded pair is asking for trouble.

I'm just wondering, where do I go from here? Do I seperate them and work purely on Echo? Will her boys reluctance effect her? They're quite bonded, but I'm not even going to consider breeding until next year - cos I think she's too pretty not to give her a go. ;) But if and when that happens, will breeding her undo any progress? Or do I leave her with her boyfriend and just be friends with her, and get the young budgie to be our tame pet?

No need to separate them..Breeding wont affect her friendship with you. Just understand that a busy mother wont have much

time to play when you want to..Getting a new pet & leaving the pair alone is up to you.

I just hope any new baby you buy will be just as friendly as Echo is. The secret to taming is... Patience. Patience. Patience..B.J.

• Member ID:  7,434
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  330

the bird not be as friendly as the hen and he might be or feel different because he thinks you took his mate. so i would try and get both them out together with you to show th ecock that his girlfriend likes you. please let me know how you go...

• 5 months later...

• Member ID:  7,593
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  42
  • Achievement Points:  315
  • Birthday:  31/03/1997

the younger they are handled, the better the outcome. we handle our babies whilst still in the nest but when they have got their feathers. this will begin to form bonds and the budgie that accepts you most, well then take him in and handle him/her more. i would say to leave the female with him and work on the babies :)