Birdlove

Sunlight

9 posts in this topic

Hey all, I was just wondering how important it really is to provide unfiltered (as in not coming through a window) sunlight to budgies?

It is important for them to have access to direct sunlight. I can't give you exact time etc but put outside in cage for a few minutes a day should be okay. mine are in an aviary, one end is totally wired so they can spend as much time out there as they like, which is quite a lot, they love being out in their "play area", sometimes they stay out most of the day. There are some articles about this somewhere on here try f.a.q. :)

P.s don't leave them outside in strong hot sun for long though.

Hi To avoid problems Cover half the cage with a damp towel so the bird can take shade

as it needs or wants to.so when you see the bird taking shade you will know its had enough.

Then you don't have to worry is the sun too hot or have you left it out too long....B.J.

Birdlove, you obviously won't be able to put him outside once winter comes. Also, I would be careful if you do put him out once in a while, to make sure he doesn't come into contact with wild birds, especially their droppings that might fall onto his cage.

I honestly don't think the sunlight matters that much for pets that are not breeding. But if you are concerned, you can buy full spectrum light bulbs to shine on his cage during the day.

Thanks for your replies :)

And, yes, I won't be able to take him out in the winter, but, I was just curious really.

I've been taking him out side in his little travel cage every few days and just sitting there with him for a few minutes but I just wanted to know. :)

I had my canary's cage in front of my sliding glass doors so he could get nice light... a hawk saw him, and apparently was in a full dive to get him, when he realized there was a glass window, and pulled up from the dive. I saw him flapping back away from the window when he was within a yard of the glass. (I was SO glad my windows were dirty from the sprinklers!) Cages are away from the window now, and I'll be buying the full spectrum lights to put on them.

I heard a story of a partridge going through a plate glass window, sending pieces flying. That could have killed my canary, and could well have injured me, since I was sitting near the window.

Yeah, hawks are big, and could probably do some damage. One time my son was sitting near the window, and he looked up in time to see a hawk slam a smaller bird into the screen and window. And then fly off with its dead meal. Amazing. Of course, then we had to clean off the screen and window- gross!

(Not to hijack Birdlove's thread, but the things wild birds can do if we put our pets outside is actually pertinent.)

Also, when the sun shines in through our window glass, it is not beneficial to the birds. The glass filters out the necessary UV rays, so our birds aren't getting the full spectrum. The window needs to be open so that the sunlight is only blocked by the screen.

Finnie.moderators, I am so confused now. I read on this very site how important direct sun is required for Vit 3D which is actually a hormone in budgies that helps their oil gland and when they preen themselves they spread this oil on their feathers. ?We don't have those fancy lights around here and if they r available they would be unaffordable.i put my birds that are not in the Aviary out regularly in the sun,but morning sun for best UK absorption.

Sorry U V absorbtion