• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  391
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2,185
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/05/1936

B. J's PELLETS V FRESH FOOD

I have often been accused of banging on about Pet Bird Pellets.

So I've decided to write this explanation for my views against

them.

I've spent some of the latter part of my working life in the Grain,

Seed & Animal Feed stuff business. So here I'm going to let you

into a few secrets. What they don't print on the pkt. If your a bit

squeamish, don't read on......

The so called, high quallity Protein, Calcium & some odd trace

elements come from the Slaughter house. Offal inc Skin, Fur,

Sinew's & other bits not considered suitable for human consumption

contribute the Protein. The Bones are ground into a powder for the

Calcium. The Vitamins, Carbohydrates, come from the wastage from

the vegetable packers, inc, Stalks, Roots, Pods & Leaves. Plus

anything that gets shelled or damaged in the transportation &

sorting process.

For instance, Maize, Peanuts, Sunflower hearts, Nuts, Peas, Beans

etc. etc.These are dried & crushed. This saves quite lot of money

from the disposal costs to landfill sites & makes a nice profit with a

little publicity from Birdkeepers believing the blurb on the bags &

wanting to give the best they can to their Birds.

So I offer this challenge. To all bird keepers who think that Pellets

are the best food for birds..

Take every meal you consume in just on day, from breakfast to

midnight snack. Cooked in the normal way. Put the whole lot into

a mixer..... Now you know it's nutritious, fresh & just think of all the

time you could save. All you have to do now is to pour

yourself a portion out for your breakfast. Having enjoyed it so

much no doubt you can hardly wait for your next meal.....

Pellets are ideal for poultry, for which they were designed.

They swallow without tasting. I've know chickens eat a dozen steel

ball bearings without batting an eyelid. Some birds like humans taste

& enjoy the taste & texture of fresh food that's also fit for human

consumption. Like us they have their own personal likes & dislikes

where food is concerned, once they have tasted Pellets, they know

they taste like *****. Even when you mix it with things they do like,

which rather defeats the object of feeding pellets in the first place.

Of course starving birds has been known to make birds eat Pellets,

but its cruel & not to be recommended.

Why would you force your birds to eat anything they don't like.

For the record, I would not deprive any bird who enjoyed eating

Pellets. Provided the owner understands the dangers in supplying

certain extra Vitamins, Minerals etc. As this can cause long term

damage to internal organs. Leading to sudden unexplained death

after a year or two. The symptoms are almost identical as a Vitamin

& Mineral deficient diet.okay....Yours B.J.rolleyes.gif

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Bit like the "delicious tasting" cat food etc who tasted it to say this? At least you can see what you are getting with seed. Seed plus fresh veges and greens will do my birds. :rolleyes: When I can get them to indulge.

• Member ID:  4,389
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  1,690

B. J's PELLETS V FRESH FOOD

I have often been accused of banging on about Pet Bird Pellets.

So I've decided to write this explanation for my views against

them.

I've spent some of the latter part of my working life in the Grain,

Seed & Animal Feed stuff business. So here I'm going to let you

into a few secrets. What they don't print on the pkt. If your a bit

squeamish, don't read on......

The so called, high quallity Protein, Calcium & some odd trace

elements come from the Slaughter house. Offal inc Skin, Fur,

Sinew's & other bits not considered suitable for human consumption

contribute the Protein. The Bones are ground into a powder for the

Calcium. The Vitamins, Carbohydrates, come from the wastage from

the vegetable packers, inc, Stalks, Roots, Pods & Leaves. Plus

anything that gets shelled or damaged in the transportation &

sorting process.

For instance, Maize, Peanuts, Sunflower hearts, Nuts, Peas, Beans

etc. etc.These are dried & crushed. This saves quite lot of money

from the disposal costs to landfill sites & makes a nice profit with a

little publicity from Birdkeepers believing the blurb on the bags &

wanting to give the best they can to their Birds.

So I offer this challenge. To all bird keepers who think that Pellets

are the best food for birds..

Take every meal you consume in just on day, from breakfast to

midnight snack. Cooked in the normal way. Put the whole lot into

a mixer..... Now you know it's nutritious, fresh & just think of all the

time you could save. All you have to do now is to pour

yourself a portion out for your breakfast. Having enjoyed it so

much no doubt you can hardly wait for your next meal.....

Pellets are ideal for poultry, for which they were designed.

They swallow without tasting. I've know chickens eat a dozen steel

ball bearings without batting an eyelid. Some birds like humans taste

& enjoy the taste & texture of fresh food that's also fit for human

consumption. Like us they have their own personal likes & dislikes

where food is concerned, once they have tasted Pellets, they know

they taste like *****. Even when you mix it with things they do like,

which rather defeats the object of feeding pellets in the first place.

Of course starving birds has been known to make birds eat Pellets,

but its cruel & not to be recommended.

Why would you force your birds to eat anything they don't like.

For the record, I would not deprive any bird who enjoyed eating

Pellets. Provided the owner understands the dangers in supplying

certain extra Vitamins, Minerals etc. As this can cause long term

damage to internal organs. Leading to sudden unexplained death

after a year or two. The symptoms are almost identical as a Vitamin

& Mineral deficient diet.okay....Yours B.J.rolleyes.gif

*sigh* here we go again........

I feed pellets as an ADDITION to my birds balanced diet which also consists of seeds (dry and sprouted), vegetables, and assorted mineral additives. The pellets are offered in a separate bowl on a daily basis. Most of my birds eat the pellets, a few do not so obviously they mustn't taste too bad. I'm not sure why people insist on coming on here and starting threads about how pellets are the work of the devil and nobody should feed them as a single source of nutrition to their budgies. I note you're in Manchester and I'm not sure how things operate over in the UK, but you're on an Australian forum and for what it's worth i know of NO budgie breeders who feed their birds a diet consisting solely of pellets. The few of us who use them feed in addition to a balanced diet. Also, making absurd statements about protein coming from the slaughter house is just downright misleading as your post implies ALL pellets are the same! That's like saying all cars are **** because you bought a piece of junk from "Dodgy Dan the Car Sales Man". As with any product it's up to the consumer to determine which product is suitable because unlike the implication in your post, pellets are not all the same.

One final thing: most pellets contain a mycotoxin deactivator. Do breeders know where their seed comes from and if it's been treated for mycotoxins or even what the dangers of them are? Given our (Aust east coast) wetter climate of the last 12 months mycotoxins are sure to be more prevalent in grains now than in our past drier years. I attended a chook forum last year and questioned the expert pitching his mycotoxin deactivator to the audience about how our budgie seed could be treated. In short, he didn't know. Seeing as you've spent the "latter part of your working life" in "seeds, grain and animal feedstuff" perhpas you would be able to shed some light on how we can decrease the risk of mycotoxin in seed.

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

I agree with you Daryl. They are most likly Vegans & stuff there Budgies with

fruit & vegetables. :rolleyes:

• Member ID:  7,065
  • Topic Count:  20

Hi Daryl

*sigh* here we go again........

I feed pellets as an ADDITION to my birds balanced diet which also consists of seeds (dry and sprouted), vegetables, and assorted mineral additives.

Most show bird breeder are more concerned with progeny production than the long term liver & kidney damage, due to vitamin & mineral overdose.

The pellets are offered in a separate bowl on a daily basis. Most of my birds eat the pellets, a few do not so obviously they mustn't taste too bad.

Too bad doesn't mean good.

I'm not sure why people insist on coming on here and starting threads about how pellets are the work of the devil and nobody should feed them as a single source of nutrition to their budgies.

I'm sure I never said that!

I note you're in Manchester and I'm not sure how things operate over in the UK, but you're on an Australian forum and for what it's worth i know of NO budgie breeders who feed their birds a diet consisting solely of pellets.

Come on, Australia a big place. There could be some you don't know about.

The few of us who use them feed in addition to a balanced diet.

In a balanced diet. Why would you need them?

Also, making absurd statements about protein coming from the slaughter house is just downright misleading as your post implies

Your right, I can only speak for pellets manufactured in GB. I worked for 2years in a slaughter house. No doubt Australian pellets are made from prime steak.

ALL pellets are the same! That's like saying all cars are **** because you bought a piece of junk from "Dodgy Dan the Car Sales Man".

Funny you should mention cars. The one I have is great but there are at least four identical models that I have spotted with a different manufacturers badge on.

As with any product it's up to the consumer to determine which product is suitable because unlike the implication in your post, pellets are not all the same.

Well I can't prove they are & you can't prove they ain't.

One final thing: most pellets contain a mycotoxin deactivator. Do breeders know where their seed comes from and if it's been treated for mycotoxins or even what the dangers of them are? Given our (Aust east coast) wetter climate of the last 12 months mycotoxins are sure to be more prevalent in grains now than in our past drier years. I attended a chook forum last year and questioned the expert pitching his mycotoxin deactivator to the audience about how our budgie seed could be treated. In short, he didn't know. Seeing as you've spent the "latter part of your working life" in "seeds, grain and animal feedstuff" perhpas you would be able to shed some light on how we can decrease the risk of mycotoxin in seed.

Sorry I'm not a scientist. I retired in 1985, but if you know, why don't you tell us? Pellets are like sausages. it's best not to know wots in em!

That was hard work. my typing finger will need a long rest now. Yours No insult intended. B.J.laugh.gif

D: I feed pellets as an ADDITION to my birds balanced diet which also consists of seeds (dry and sprouted), vegetables, and assorted mineral additives.

BJ: Most show bird breeder are more concerned with progeny production than the long term liver & kidney damage, due to vitamin & mineral overdose.

D: That's a pretty broad and sweeping statement and an insult to the people who frequent this forum. It's also contradictory as long term liver and kidney damage is going to prevent progeny production. I am aware of the effects of feeding particular pellets as a sole source of nutrition but that's not what I'm advocating. A quick browse through the posts in this forum will show you that breeders here ARE very concerned with the well being of their birds, some paying more attention to their birds' diet than their own!

D: The pellets are offered in a separate bowl on a daily basis. Most of my birds eat the pellets, a few do not so obviously they mustn't taste too bad.

BJ: Too bad doesn't mean good.

D: So if you went to a smorgasboard buffet and most of the diners ate, say, the roast, your conclusion would be that you still can't tell whether the majority think it tastes good? If a fish slapped you in the head would you know it was a fish? Geez!!!

D: I'm not sure why people insist on coming on here and starting threads about how pellets are the work of the devil and nobody should feed them as a single source of nutrition to their budgies.

BJ: I'm sure I never said that!

D: Your topic heading says "B.J's Pellets or Natural Diet, NO CONTEST". That sounds to me like you're post is discussing a pellet only diet vs a natural diet. You also wrote "why would you force your birds to eat anything they don't like?"

D: I note you're in Manchester and I'm not sure how things operate over in the UK, but you're on an Australian forum and for what it's worth i know of NO budgie breeders who feed their birds a diet consisting solely of pellets.

BJ: Come on, Australia a big place. There could be some you don't know about.

D: Nope, I know them all. ;-) Okay, say I knew about 100 and none of them fed a diet consisting solely of pellets. Do you really think the feeding of pellets as a sole dietary source is that big of a problem in budgie breeders? Personally I only know of 1 guy that replaced seed with pellets as a trial and that was 14 years ago. I don't know if he persisted with that. I tried it myself a few years ago on a small sample of birds for a few weeks and concluded that the birds did better on a diet with pellets plus all the usual stuff (although I sort of suspected that might be the outcome). Typically budgie breeders in Aus (as far as I know) haven't taken on the idea of pellets but parrot breeders here have embraced it in a big way.

D:The few of us who use them feed in addition to a balanced diet.

BJ: In a balanced diet. Why would you need them?

D: You're right, they probably don't need them, but given they've been developed by an avian nutritionist and my birds like to eat them in addition to their non-pellet diet I feel that they may benefit from their inclusion.

D:Also, making absurd statements about protein coming from the slaughter house is just downright misleading as your post implies

BJ:Your right, I can only speak for pellets manufactured in GB. I worked for 2years in a slaughter house. No doubt Australian pellets are made from prime steak.

D: The ingredients list might be a giveaway, especially the little bit of writing on some where it says "contains no animal products". Perhaps some do contain meat products but none of the mainstream ones that I've looked at here contain any meat products. None!

D: ALL pellets are the same! That's like saying all cars are **** because you bought a piece of junk from "Dodgy Dan the Car Sales Man".

BJ: Funny you should mention cars. The one I have is great but there are at least four identical models that I have spotted with a different manufacturers badge on.

D: I think you missed my point. See next para for explanation.

D: As with any product it's up to the consumer to determine which product is suitable because unlike the implication in your post, pellets are not all the same.

BJ: Well I can't prove they are & you can't prove they ain't.

D: No YOU can't, but have you tried using Google? There's a lot of pellets types/brands on the market but I'm not going to fill this post further with countless lists of ingredients. I'm sure some are much better than others too but again that's for the buyer to research and decide.

D: One final thing: most pellets contain a mycotoxin deactivator. Do breeders know where their seed comes from and if it's been treated for mycotoxins or even what the dangers of them are? Given our (Aust east coast) wetter climate of the last 12 months mycotoxins are sure to be more prevalent in grains now than in our past drier years. I attended a chook forum last year and questioned the expert pitching his mycotoxin deactivator to the audience about how our budgie seed could be treated. In short, he didn't know. Seeing as you've spent the "latter part of your working life" in "seeds, grain and animal feedstuff" perhpas you would be able to shed some light on how we can decrease the risk of mycotoxin in seed.

BJ: Sorry I'm not a scientist. I retired in 1985, but if you know, why don't you tell us? Pellets are like sausages. it's best not to know wots in em!

D: If I knew I wouldn't be asking you, lol! That is why I was asking as you've included in your introduction how you've worked in the seed and grain business. I have no experience in this field but found it interesting that when I questioned the "expert" he agreed it could be a problem but wasn't sure what to do about it. Ironically his only suggestion was to feed a foodstuff which contained a mycotoxin deactivator which, lo and behold, are in the pellets I feed! I don't know how effective this approach would be especially since a few of my birds (I'll estimate it'd be about 10-20%) consume little or no pellets.

BJ: That was hard work. my typing finger will need a long rest now. Yours No insult intended. B.J.laugh.gif

D: I guess in summary you're saying that pellets shouldn't be used as a sole dietary source and on that we both agree. However I feel they have a place offered as a part of my birds diet given the research done by the manufacturer to make it as a "complete diet". I just choose to make my birds' diet a little more complete by also feeding all the traditional stuff.

Anyway, I gotta go as I'm going to be late for work if I don't get outside and feed the other animals including the old horse who gets 2 scoops of pellets morning and night. Uh oh, better not start again!!! Have a good day BJ. Cheers.

D: I feed pellets as an ADDITION to my birds balanced diet which also consists of seeds (dry and sprouted), vegetables, and assorted mineral additives.

BJ: Most show bird breeder are more concerned with progeny production than the long term liver & kidney damage, due to vitamin & mineral overdose.

D: That's a pretty broad and sweeping statement and an insult to the people who frequent this forum. It's also contradictory as long term liver and kidney damage is going to prevent progeny production. I am aware of the effects of feeding particular pellets as a sole source of nutrition but that's not what I'm advocating. A quick browse through the posts in this forum will show you that breeders here ARE very concerned with the well being of their birds, some paying more attention to their birds' diet than their own!

D: The pellets are offered in a separate bowl on a daily basis. Most of my birds eat the pellets, a few do not so obviously they mustn't taste too bad.

BJ: Too bad doesn't mean good.

D: So if you went to a smorgasboard buffet and most of the diners ate, say, the roast, your conclusion would be that you still can't tell whether the majority think it tastes good? If a fish slapped you in the head would you know it was a fish? Geez!!!

D: I'm not sure why people insist on coming on here and starting threads about how pellets are the work of the devil and nobody should feed them as a single source of nutrition to their budgies.

BJ: I'm sure I never said that!

D: Your topic heading says "B.J's Pellets or Natural Diet, NO CONTEST". That sounds to me like you're post is discussing a pellet only diet vs a natural diet. You also wrote "why would you force your birds to eat anything they don't like?"

D: I note you're in Manchester and I'm not sure how things operate over in the UK, but you're on an Australian forum and for what it's worth i know of NO budgie breeders who feed their birds a diet consisting solely of pellets.

BJ: Come on, Australia a big place. There could be some you don't know about.

D: Nope, I know them all. ;-) Okay, say I knew about 100 and none of them fed a diet consisting solely of pellets. Do you really think the feeding of pellets as a sole dietary source is that big of a problem in budgie breeders? Personally I only know of 1 guy that replaced seed with pellets as a trial and that was 14 years ago. I don't know if he persisted with that. I tried it myself a few years ago on a small sample of birds for a few weeks and concluded that the birds did better on a diet with pellets plus all the usual stuff (although I sort of suspected that might be the outcome). Typically budgie breeders in Aus (as far as I know) haven't taken on the idea of pellets but parrot breeders here have embraced it in a big way.

D:The few of us who use them feed in addition to a balanced diet.

BJ: In a balanced diet. Why would you need them?

D: You're right, they probably don't need them, but given they've been developed by an avian nutritionist and my birds like to eat them in addition to their non-pellet diet I feel that they may benefit from their inclusion.

D:Also, making absurd statements about protein coming from the slaughter house is just downright misleading as your post implies

BJ:Your right, I can only speak for pellets manufactured in GB. I worked for 2years in a slaughter house. No doubt Australian pellets are made from prime steak.

D: The ingredients list might be a giveaway, especially the little bit of writing on some where it says "contains no animal products". Perhaps some do contain meat products but none of the mainstream ones that I've looked at here contain any meat products. None!

D: ALL pellets are the same! That's like saying all cars are **** because you bought a piece of junk from "Dodgy Dan the Car Sales Man".

BJ: Funny you should mention cars. The one I have is great but there are at least four identical models that I have spotted with a different manufacturers badge on.

D: I think you missed my point. See next para for explanation.

D: As with any product it's up to the consumer to determine which product is suitable because unlike the implication in your post, pellets are not all the same.

BJ: Well I can't prove they are & you can't prove they ain't.

D: No YOU can't, but have you tried using Google? There's a lot of pellets types/brands on the market but I'm not going to fill this post further with countless lists of ingredients. I'm sure some are much better than others too but again that's for the buyer to research and decide.

D: One final thing: most pellets contain a mycotoxin deactivator. Do breeders know where their seed comes from and if it's been treated for mycotoxins or even what the dangers of them are? Given our (Aust east coast) wetter climate of the last 12 months mycotoxins are sure to be more prevalent in grains now than in our past drier years. I attended a chook forum last year and questioned the expert pitching his mycotoxin deactivator to the audience about how our budgie seed could be treated. In short, he didn't know. Seeing as you've spent the "latter part of your working life" in "seeds, grain and animal feedstuff" perhpas you would be able to shed some light on how we can decrease the risk of mycotoxin in seed.

BJ: Sorry I'm not a scientist. I retired in 1985, but if you know, why don't you tell us? Pellets are like sausages. it's best not to know wots in em!

D: If I knew I wouldn't be asking you, lol! That is why I was asking as you've included in your introduction how you've worked in the seed and grain business. I have no experience in this field but found it interesting that when I questioned the "expert" he agreed it could be a problem but wasn't sure what to do about it. Ironically his only suggestion was to feed a foodstuff which contained a mycotoxin deactivator which, lo and behold, are in the pellets I feed! I don't know how effective this approach would be especially since a few of my birds (I'll estimate it'd be about 10-20%) consume little or no pellets.

BJ: That was hard work. my typing finger will need a long rest now. Yours No insult intended. B.J.laugh.gif

D: I guess in summary you're saying that pellets shouldn't be used as a sole dietary source and on that we both agree. However I feel they have a place offered as a part of my birds diet given the research done by the manufacturer to make it as a "complete diet". I just choose to make my birds' diet a little more complete by also feeding all the traditional stuff.

Anyway, I gotta go as I'm going to be late for work if I don't get outside and feed the other animals including the old horse who gets 2 scoops of pellets morning and night. Uh oh, better not start again!!! Have a good day BJ. Cheers.

You tell'em Daz,I know in the Fancy Pigeons, there are breeders that only feed

Pallets & have done so for Years. :rolleyes:

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I know this is only a typos or spelling gaff, but ya gotta laugh when trying to picture budgies or birds eating palletts..wooden they get splinters LMAO :D :D :D

I know this is only a typos or spelling gaff, but ya gotta laugh when trying to picture budgies or birds eating palletts..wooden they get splinters LMAO :D :D :D

That's what happens, when your spell check,dosn't tell you have put the wrong

word. :unsure::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's what happens, when your spell check,dosn't tell you have put the wrong

word. :unsure::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pallets: A designer food for wood ducks! :D

Hi Daryl. Well I reckon between us we give that post a good airing. Lol Yours B.J.laugh.gif

• 6 months later...

Hello. To anyone reading this thread. I have to admit that it is 30 yrs ago that I worked in the feed business

so I have to concede that some thing might have changed sine then......B.J.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I've just read this mornings news paper headlines, the "Daily Mirror"...

It seems we've been eating up to 29% horse & pig meat in our BEEF BURGERS......

Not putting this in the list of ingredients is I think, very naughty & misleading. Even if it is legal.

If they would only follow the lead of our bird food suppliers, of seed. pellets etc, ect...

Who I am told would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, use ingredients not of the finest & purest quality

& print a full honest list of contents including the useless fillers for added weight..They wouldn't

do that....Would they?????....B.J.

Edited by Bird Junky