nyos

Budgie With 'gray' Tail

I recently purchased a budgie which caught my eye at a pet shop. Although not the most visually stunning, this bird's tail color looks somewhat unique.

I would describe his tail feathers as having the pigment pushed out to the bottom and edge of the feather, producing a gray color while leaving a good portion of the feather the same color as the body, a shade of blue. The rest of the bird looks normal, though his flights are clipped and I don't know their color. The bird seems very young, so it might possibly come out with the first molt. Has anyone seen something similar?

I will post a picture of the budgie when I can.

possibly something to do with the Opaline gene

Pictures would be good but as Nerwen has already said, it sounds like an Opaline.

Photos where taken in cloudy daylight and show him in his true color. The tail's color changes depending on the angle it is observed from.

ydOZ9.jpg

oWcyc.jpg

41A2K.jpg

eUZ4L.jpg

5OxxJ.jpg

LxZAF.jpg

It's a very young bird and sometimes they do display these different colours in their feathers. It usually moults out in their first moult. See how it looks after the moult.

It is a baby and sometimes the feathers are not produced correctly but when they moult any colour/marking faults are usually rectified.