• Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1,050
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  15/11/1989

okay so Ive tried mite and lice spray on the birds and it only works for a few days (2-3) today i discovered that a nest box was infested with mites luckily no baby birds nor eggs where in it yet, so i threw it away, is there like a repellent or something that can be used, i don't trust trust those cage guards because Ive read they release fumes that are toxic to birds .

I checked my birds and i was able to see the mites under there wings and by there tail feathers

A friend of mine said he uses this product on his birds and has never had a problem ever since, he told me he uses a cotton ball and puts the powder the birds http://www.strombergschickens.com/fullsize/1448/162

But i wanted to get a second opinion to know if it can be used on birds and nest boxes Thank you

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

okay so Ive tried mite and lice spray on the birds and it only works for a few days (2-3) today i discovered that a nest box was infested with mites luckily no baby birds nor eggs where in it yet, so i threw it away, is there like a repellent or something that can be used, i don't trust trust those cage guards because Ive read they release fumes that are toxic to birds .

I checked my birds and i was able to see the mites under there wings and by there tail feathers

A friend of mine said he uses this product on his birds and has never had a problem ever since, he told me he uses a cotton ball and puts the powder the birds http://www.strombergschickens.com/fullsize/1448/162

But i wanted to get a second opinion to know if it can be used on birds and nest boxes Thank you

I use this product under my nest concaves is sounds similar to the product you have there. I wouldn't put it on the birds though.

Go to your vet and get some ivomec, tell them what you want it for.one drop on the back of the head and no mites. You should spray your perches and any little nooks and cranny with a mixture of coopex. Coopex and Pestene can be purchased at produce stores.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

He already has ivermectin

It doesn't say that in the post Kaz, but I am know to be as blind as a bat, lol.

It doesn't say that in the post Kaz, but I am know to be as blind as a bat, lol.

No, but in other posts he has mentioned he has scatt which is ivermectin.

• Member ID:  6,574

Kaz am i not using scatt correctly? after 3 month treatment the mites should have all been gone correct? my birds are kept outdoors and they have frequent visits from other birds to eat the seeds that fall out the cage might they get mites from those wild birds?

A friend of mine said he uses this product on his birds and has never had a problem ever since, he told me he uses a cotton ball and puts the powder the birds http://www.stromberg...llsize/1448/162

I use this product under my nest concaves is sounds similar to the product you have there. I wouldn't put it on the birds though.

Go to your vet and get some ivomec, tell them what you want it for.one drop on the back of the head and no mites. You should spray your perches and any little nooks and cranny with a mixture of coopex. Coopex and Pestene can be purchased at produce stores.

Might they sell these products Coopex and Pestene here in the US ?

That product you have is similar to the pestene, i use it only under the nest concaves, I do not put it on the birds.

As for coopex ask at your produce store, it is mainly used to kill spiders ants etc. To use on birds you need to make a weak solution.

• Member ID:  6,658
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  520
  • Birthday:  01/03/1953

LION Hi suggestion to try if you can get it over there isn a mixture of EUCOLYPTUS OIL (OZZIE PRODUCT) and water....... mix at the rate of 50/50 paint on entire nestboxes and concaves pay particular attention to joins, cracks and any other place where they may be able to hide (pesky little devils) also paint perches etc. This has worked for me with budgies, pigeons and poultry hope this helps Cheers TAZ D

Is it possible you have a red mite infection ?

PS good tip too from Taz Devil :)

• Member ID:  6,051
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  675

Coopex is made from a chemical called permethrin. You can buy permethrin at agricultural supply stores under various names . Axe is one such name and i also use it to kill ticks on dogs

LION Hi suggestion to try if you can get it over there isn a mixture of EUCOLYPTUS OIL (OZZIE PRODUCT) and water....... mix at the rate of 50/50 paint on entire nestboxes and concaves pay particular attention to joins, cracks and any other place where they may be able to hide (pesky little devils) also paint perches etc. This has worked for me with budgies, pigeons and poultry hope this helps Cheers TAZ D

Thanks i will give it a try :)

Well the mites are fairly small some a grey and others are red

Coopex is made from a chemical called permethrin. You can buy permethrin at agricultural supply stores under various names . Axe is one such name and i also use it to kill ticks on dogs

Thank you so i would have to make a less concentrated solution correct? and it then can be sprayed onto the bird?

Well then you have a red mite infestation as I suspected. they are very virulent. They hide in tiny cracks in the cage....in the joins of the bars, in the slots of the perches, behind drinkers and any crack or crevice. They suck the budgies blood and they hide in the ear canals of the birds too. You really need to get this sorted bigtime. And the most thorough clean of all cages you have ever done in your life with the right product. If you are breeding stop and get this sorted out.

Edited by **KAZ**

Well then you have a red mite infestation as I suspected. they are very virulent. They hide in tiny cracks in the cage....in the joins of the bars, in the slots of the perches, behind drinkers and any crack or crevice. They suck the budgies blood and they hide in the ear canals of the birds too. You really need to get this sorted bigtime. And the most thorough clean of all cages you have ever done in your life with the right product. If you are breeding stop and get this sorted out.

What product would you suggest me using? Ive always cleaned there cages and all cage contents with just soap and water. I'm not breeding at all right now :)

so the red mites are resistant to scatt? and regular mite spray?

I use avian insecticidal liquidator for birds and cages. Others use Coopex.

I use avian insecticidal liquidator for birds and cages. Others use Coopex.

I found a product another member suggested that it similar to coopex wich contains permethrin 0.25% and its used indoor and outdoor to kill ants,roaches and fleas....., would you suggest me using it just as is to treat directly birds or should i mix in a spray bottle half of that with water? and then treat birds and cages and other materials

I have no knowledge of the other product you are talking about so I cannot advise you

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

you can get one at Safeway supper market for 10 dollors in pet section its a little can and it does flees and ticks mites its for all bugs

i have a very simular one i got at produce store

i just put 15 mil as directed in spray bottle then spray my flight and then i spray all birds in a holding cage let the flights dry and the birds then return them all to it do this every 6 weeks it suggests but i do it only every 6 months as i ivimec my birds also 3 monthly if i cant get that i just use pee bo fly spray as i know has not killed my birds ever

i dont remember the stuffs name in Safeway but its got poison written on it and the stuff is not to pleasant smelling but its only thing will keep flees from my dog so and since it does aviary rabbits cats extra im happy with it

Member is USA based

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Coopex is okay. I have used the old 3 month outdoor surface spray - Mortein, whatever brand.... with very good success and my pre-breeding preparation now ALWAYS includes a synthetic Pyrethrin surface spray to all nest boxes, paying particular attention to the joins and cracks. Since starting this treatment as well as using ivermectin spot on regularly I have had NO issues with blood mites at all.

I did find that I could also spray the box whilst it was being used. Take out the chicks, empty the bedding, spray, let dry, replace new bedding and put chicks back in. All sweet.

Red mites are not resistant to scatt, just that the live and lay their eggs OFF the bird in the cracks and crevasses of your breeding boxes usually. They only go onto the bird to feed .So treating the birds kills the mites that are present but doesn't kill off the eggs or the ones sheltering off the bird.Treating birds and surfaces together works but you might need to do two treatments a few weeks apart to completely break the mite breeding cycle.

Edited by nubbly5

you can get one at Safeway supper market for 10 dollors in pet section its a little can and it does flees and ticks mites its for all bugs

i have a very simular one i got at produce store

i just put 15 mil as directed in spray bottle then spray my flight and then i spray all birds in a holding cage let the flights dry and the birds then return them all to it do this every 6 weeks it suggests but i do it only every 6 months as i ivimec my birds also 3 monthly if i cant get that i just use pee bo fly spray as i know has not killed my birds ever

i dont remember the stuffs name in Safeway but its got poison written on it and the stuff is not to pleasant smelling but its only thing will keep flees from my dog so and since it does aviary rabbits cats extra im happy with it

thank you

today i went out to the Homedepot and i got a spray that gets rid of all sorts of bugs and its safe to use on plants, indoor and outdoor, and also on dogs and cats it contains .25% Pyrethrin and thats the main active ingredient so ima try and make a solution and spray where i keep my birds and then treat the nestbox....

Coopex is okay. I have used the old 3 month outdoor surface spray - Mortein, whatever brand.... with very good success and my pre-breeding preparation now ALWAYS includes a synthetic Pyrethrin surface spray to all nest boxes, paying particular attention to the joins and cracks. Since starting this treatment as well as using ivermectin spot on regularly I have had NO issues with blood mites at all.

I did find that I could also spray the box whilst it was being used. Take out the chicks, empty the bedding, spray, let dry, replace new bedding and put chicks back in. All sweet.

Red mites are not resistant to scatt, just that the live and lay their eggs OFF the bird in the cracks and crevasses of your breeding boxes usually. They only go onto the bird to feed .So treating the birds kills the mites that are present but doesn't kill off the eggs or the ones sheltering off the bird.Treating birds and surfaces together works but you might need to do two treatments a few weeks apart to completely break the mite breeding cycle.

Today i got a spray that gets rid of all sorts of bugs and its safe to use on plants also on dogs and cats it contains .25% Pyrethrin and that's the main active ingredient

do you think i should be able to use it as is? or should i decrease the strength mixing it with water on a spray bottle to be able to spray my birds and nests, perches....

My dad told me to replace all old nest boxes that have major cracks and that the ones that have little cracks to treat them with something and then use wood glue to seal up the cracks to also prevent the mites from accumulating in small cracks/dents, might the glue be okay to use? its non toxic

also spray all cages and cage equipment, all perches, toys and drinkers and food containers ( remove and replace all food and water after )..............red mites hide in the tiniest of spaces like slots in perches and in the joins of cage bars......the eggs look like specks of pepper.

Edited by **KAZ**

Kaz today i saw a similar product to the ones shown but its in a powder form can i use this on the birds? or just nest box and surrounding areas where i keep my birds?

and yes ill spray all the perches throw away the food and water, and spray pretty much all cages and cage accessories (toys) and make sure i get all edges :) thank you so much for your help

Ive began the cleaning and treating process hope it all goes well :)

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Hi Lion

Pyrethrin is reasonably safe for use around birds but I would allow it to dry before placing birds back in contact with it.

When I used the 3 month surface sprays on cracks and dents etc, no more red mites - none. No need to throw away your cages etc if you go with this sort of treatment. I never did a major clean whilst treating our red mite infestation either. Just needed to break their breeding cycle and the 3 month surface spray did just that!

Edited by **KAZ**