• Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

GOOD NEWS, I have busting my back trying to get my old bird room ready to put the birds down, I have now down everything but I am catching 2 -3 mice a day and Geoff told me I can't breed like that so next week we are finishing my new birdroom yahoo yippee.

Hopefully they will be down by next week end all goes to plan.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

I would imagine the snake would be pretty scared of you too splat and has more reason for it than we do when you compare the death rates of human/dogs to snakes v's the other way around.

We live on 5 rural acres, have had dugites (a poisonous WA snake) in the house, in the aviary, on our hay stack and on the road outside our house. We also have 7 dogs six of them whippets who will chase anything that moves. I've been lucky with one small dugite that one of our dogs tried to hunt. Mind you we have very well trained dogs and I was able to call her away immediately (pretty difficult if you know hunting whippets) and relocated the snake.

I've only ever killed one snake on the property which was a large dugite inside the aviary which I could not get to remove itself. That was done with terrible regret and guilt at killing such a magnificent creature but couldn't be avoided.

I've faced down a very angry Tiger snake when I moved it's home (a rubbish bin in a tyre) from over it's head to put my dog crate outside an on-site van I'd rented for the weekend in Albany. Sure he was pissed off and stood his ground as is more common with Tigers but eventually (with me staying out of range and pelting it with small gravel stones, he moved off to find a more secure place.

Most snakes don't want anything to do with us or our dogs. Our dogs have never had their runs invaded by snakes (snakes are too wary for that) and the snakes will do everything in their power to find somewhere safe for themselves. If we keep them and our dogs out of the way then all is good and fine with the world (ours and the snakes).

I do agree that dogs make crappy decisions about what is good to play with/hunt and that can be a real problem. Mostly though and as we have found out (7 dogs and all) that we can get along well enough.

• Member ID:  3,340

Thanks Nubbly, I am more concerned about the mice because I want to put my birds down but am to scared in case the mice course problems with the breeding birds. Caught 4 today, 1 just before. Unbelievable, the are hanging around my freshly painted spotless breeding cages, NO seed insight.

Yep mice can be a real issue AND attract snakes unfortunately. Can be very seasonal. We get them come into the aviary at the end of summer when there is little native seed around and good food and shelter around in the aviary. We bait in the breeding room only (never had them die in the aviary proper either thankfully) and always have a "live" trap down. In the mouse season (as I call it) it's not uncommon for us to catch 4-5 mice a night in the live trap. Little buggers!

That's the problem here Nubbly, I guess you can say it is near the end of summer and they have only just started getting worse in the last a couple of weeks. Catching more this week than ever.

Are you have any problems with your breeding birds with the mice there or is everything okay, mice not bothering the birds.

Greg says they will be gone soon when it gets a bit colder, sounds like you are saying the same thing Nubbly.

Only when the mice get really bad and we didn't bait. Even though our cages are raised off the ground the little suckers got into the cages etc. As soon as that started happening we waged massive war against them! Baiting in all the areas our dogs couldn't get to. Shed with hay was a BIG problem mice AND rats. We baited there, in the breeding room (under cupboards, seed hoppers, everywhere). That with the live catcher seems to keep them at bay but if we only go by the live catcher, things get out of control at the start of winter. Ours seem to come in out of the rain mainly.....

If we don't get stuck into trying to control them, then they do cause a problem with the birds - otherwise we keep enough control of the numbers that they don't see the need to go scaling the heights to the cabinets.

My cabinets are empty at the moment and they are scaling heights into them because there are droppings everywhere, I am horrified as I just discovered they are in my aviaries now, poop everywhere. I just want to cry I have had enough.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

How can we help you Splat ? Can you post photos of the aviaries so we can help you problem solve ?

Any gap 10-12 mm will let mice in

Thanks Kaz, I will see what I can do tomorrow and then post some photos, Greg thinks I am crazy trying to stop them getting in, but I am now beyound my self, honestly have been crying because I can't fix the problem. And what's worse I don't have the money to by anything to improve anything either. I can't stand it. Sorry for going on but one of those days.

Caught 5 this morning in the breeding room and 4 this avro. Driving me nuts.

Edited by splat

Sounds like a plague and I'll bet they are breeding up in numbers in that woodpile too.

I understand your frustration. I wouldnt stand for mice running through like you have. I would do all I can to stop it too.

Its stress for the birds as well as contaminating their food source too. Bad news all round.

I know that Kaz and that is what I am worried about.

BUT I am not the only one around, even as far as Shepparton a friend there can't belive how many are running around his backyard, he said they can't get in his aviaries but they are in the chook pen and parrot cage, hundreds on them.

I certainly hope you guys over there arent about to get one of those horrid mouseplagues that have happened before :(

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Yuck, yuck, yuck!!! As much as I'm terrified of snakes, I'd rather have a snake in my backyard than 20 mice!

My Grandparents (when they were alive and able to) lived on a farm in country VIC. I still remember when they had a mouse plague... still makes my skin crawl to think about them running up the sides of the sheds... it was like a moving carpet :blink: . I really hope you're able to find a solution, atleast for your avairy. Good luck!

Greg said once it gets cold they will disappear or go away, BUT I think they will hybinate (can't spell) under the wood heap or somewhere near and breed up and be back worse than ever, I really do not know what to do.

Tomorrow I will work on trying to stop them getting in and first thing though is to vaccuum aviaries to get rid of mouse droppings.

More scared on snakes than mice, at least a mouse won't kill me but will make my birds sick though. I am the biggest sook when it comes to snakes.

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

YOU LIKE TO COOK SPLAT ?????

How to Poison Mice Without Using Dangerous Chemicals, Very Cheap and Easy

By makaju, eHow Member

User-Submitted Article

When we first moved into our country home, we were surprised to find out that we had housemates. Little buggy mice!!! Well, I just happened to remember something I had learned while in school many years before. A little known fact-- Mice and rodents cannot pass gas. So, instead of laying out messy traps, or using dangerous poisons, just grab a box of baking soda!!

Difficulty: Easy

Instructions

Things You'll Need:

* baking soda

When you find evidence of a rodent, sprinkle baking soda in the area. It doesn't have to be a lot of baking soda, just a nice trail where you think the nasty little vermin in running around. When the mouse comes back to the same area, he will run through the baking soda. At some point, the mouse will start cleaning himself by licking the baking soda off his paws and that is how he will "ingest" the "poison". Since mice cannot pass gas, the baking soda will be trapped in his stomach and he will implode from within resulting in death. One of the best things about using baking soda compared to real poison is that if you have a cat or dog that runs across the mouse, your pet will be in no danger of getting sick or dying.

Another good way to use the baking soda trick is to double it up with a mouse trap. If you sprinkle baking soda on the "bait" of the trap, you will be sure to kill the bugger, even if he slips the trap. I use peanut butter laced with baking soda when I feel the need to use a trap.

Also, when you clean your cupboards, place a small dish of baking soda in each one... preventative measures are so worthwhile!!

Read more: How to Poison Mice Without Using Dangerous Chemicals, Very Cheap and Easy | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4965879_dangerous-chemicals-very-cheap-easy.html#ixzz1FXJgxq7K

Thanks Gb, I will do that, I remember something a few years ago about cement but I forget how, maybe you mix it with flour and the mice must eat and the cement gets wet in their tummies and I guess then they die.

Update on mice problem.

Friday I didn't catch a mouse at all so was very happy. Because the night before I relised that Greg had pine poles leaning up against the back of the birdroom and I can see mice droppings where they went up and came down, some were blue from the bate. The little suckers were getting into the ceiling and climbing down into the room. ANY way I pushed them over and told him to take them down the back PLEASE.

But late yesterday I lifted the lid on my cabinet where the wire cages sit and a rotten mouse jump out in front of me, I almost had a attacked from fright.

Today I caught 2 out in the first part of the bird room and it was really strange because I thought the mouse traps went off and I missed them but when I looked closer both traps had a tail hanging out. I had the bi carb soda every where too.

Any way I wasn't sure if the mice were dead because like I said only tails were hanging out, so I sat the traps on top of a tall post for a hour or so and I thought I would put them in a plastic postage bag, just to make sure they were dead and didn't escape and then put them in the bin, Well I I nearly jump out of my skin, couldn't believe it, the first was was alive and it was jumping around the bag and I didn't know what to do.

I screamed to Greg, HELP! HELP! but he didn't come, I was jumping up and down like the mouse was on me, I am holding the bag closed and and the mouse was running around inside it and I was jumping and screaming, god it must of been a site.

I knew I should of just squashed but I couldn't, I ran in the washing holding the bag and grabbed a bucket which already was half full of water thankfully, I was to terrified to wait for it for to fill.

I tipped the mouse any the water and then I thought I would try the other trap and it was was alive too. Unbelievable.

My heart was raising for hours later.

1. Today I worked on the aviary, I put a piece of alum angle on the side of the escape door,so that stopped one way from them squeezing through.

2. I put wire in any holes I could find.

3. I put mouse proof wire around the bottom of the aviary, I still have one to go tomorrow. i had to take all the tin off that we put in from stopping Jake peeing on the wire. So it was quite a big job and I did it all by myself.

I have to put the Alum angle on the ends of each piece of the tin tomorrow too. Hopefully by the time I finish it should be totally mouse proof.

I did catch a mouse in a trap in the escape part last night. I have the trap still there, so will be interesting to see if I get any tomorrow.

Once I finish that, I have to finish doing the perches in the 3rd aviary and then start trying to mouse proof the old bird room. Have some ideas, hope they work.

Edited by splat

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

Oh Splat! I can just picture you there jumping around screaming!:lol:

I really do feel bad for your mouse problem, though. I hope it gets better now.

Thanks Finnie, don't worry I was a sight BUT it was worse today.

I worked all day trying to mouse proof my out side aviary, I put the mouse proof wire on and everything is finished but then I went in to clean out the aviary because it just stunk bad of mice, well I was vacuuming away, first the seed area, well I pulled out the draw from the seed hopping and out jumped a rotten mouse, I started jumping and screaming, the birds started flying everywhere but i am not sure if it was the mouse that scared them or me, any way I tried to vacuum the mouse up , I got in in the end. I then ran inside and told Greg and that could he help me get it out BUT he didn't move, so I opened the vacuum cleaner and it was covered in dust trying to jump out so I put the lid back on and ran and got a bucket of water but when I opened the lid again the little rat jumped out and ran for the fence covered in dust and found a hole and went next door. I think that is where they are coming from.

Anyway I think I have moused proofed it now, I hope so anyway. Tomorrow I have to work on the old bird room and the inside aviary but that is going to be so much harder but I will give it a shot.

God I hate mice.

Rotten mice, after spending all day yesterday trying to mouse proof the out side aviaries, this morning rushed out and checked and **** one in the trap in the escape part and I went into the first aviary that I totally cleaned and replaced everything yesterday, to find 2 mice in the draw of the seed hopper, I managed to kill one, boy was i scared.

So today I set about more work when I heard noises on the roof, so I got the ladder and they were everywhere, they are breeding on the roof, so I put bait there and started blocking more spots off, then I went to the other end and boy I could see how they were getting in.

When Greg built then he built them in sections and the last one has different tin on the roof, So I think by the looks of it they are running along the roof and just jumping into the fist 2 aviaries through the coragation iron, boy I was angry, they had free access to the first 2 aviaries, Why Greg did it like that is beyound me but at least I have worked it out, I think.

I cut the mouse proof wire to the coragation shape and screwed it on, I had to put a flat piece in first because that's where they were dropping into the first part and and then through the coragation part in the second part. I just hope it all works.

I really can't stand much more of this. I still have my birdroom to attend to do but caught no mouse there today but I did see one.

Have my fingers crossed.

Greg said once it gets cold they will disappear or go away, BUT I think they will hybinate (can't spell) under the wood heap or somewhere near and breed up and be back worse than ever, I really do not know what to do.

I agree with you :)

Rotten mice, after spending all day yesterday trying to mouse proof the out side aviaries, this morning rushed out and checked and **** one in the trap in the escape part and I went into the first aviary that I totally cleaned and replaced everything yesterday, to find 2 mice in the draw of the seed hopper, I managed to kill one, boy was i scared.

So today I set about more work when I heard noises on the roof, so I got the ladder and they were everywhere, they are breeding on the roof, so I put bait there and started blocking more spots off, then I went to the other end and boy I could see how they were getting in.

When Greg built then he built them in sections and the last one has different tin on the roof, So I think by the looks of it they are running along the roof and just jumping into the fist 2 aviaries through the coragation iron, boy I was angry, they had free access to the first 2 aviaries, Why Greg did it like that is beyound me but at least I have worked it out, I think.

I cut the mouse proof wire to the coragation shape and screwed it on, I had to put a flat piece in first because that's where they were dropping into the first part and and then through the coragation part in the second part. I just hope it all works.

I really can't stand much more of this. I still have my birdroom to attend to do but caught no mouse there today but I did see one.

Have my fingers crossed.

Well done !!!! :D

Thanks Kaz , I was told yesterday that up the Malley way the have a bad plague and here we have a mild one so far. BUT then it is ment to rain tomorrow so it will get worse. I just hope I have it sorted, driving me nuts. My heart has never raced so much from fright in my life.

I have to sort the old bird room and indoor type aviary yet, another big job. I have spent a small fortune on bits and pieces trying to mouse proof these rotten little so and so's instead of catching up with my bills, so annoying but then I can't let the birds get sick. AND the smell, rotten, like yesterday when I replaced everything, all the smell was gone BUT this morning it was all back again. YUK!!!!!!!!.

I went to Bunnings today to get some more TOMCAT bait and guess what they were all sold out of all mouse and rat traps and all TOMCAT bait and nearly all other mice bait. Friday the shelves were well stocked, couldn't believe it, I left empty handed, I went to IGA on my way home and they were sold out too, so when I got home I went to the hardware store to get some and guess what they were sold out of everything too. Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I come home empty handed, I have put Bicarb soda everywhere. I hope it works.

Thanks Kaz, I tried something similar last night but didn't catch a thing, but mine wasn't good enough. Greg's dad gave me a bucket and told me to half fill it and then put try grass on top of the water and then put some peanut butter in on the dry grass, I think I might have listened to him wrong because some of the peanut butter sunk and I caught nothing. BUT i will make one or 2 of these tomorrow.

Well I am just beyond myself, went out to the aviary this morning as soon as it was day light, the peanut butter on trap in the escape part was gone but the trap didn't go off, that was okay, ants could of ate that because they did yesterday, BUT i went into the first aviary and checked the seed hopper and one mouse ran out and I managed to kill it and then another one ran out but by that time I opened the door and let it go, my heart was thumping that hard I couldn't go through it again.

And the aviary stinks SO more work today, I think I know where the problem is , it's where the roof meets and Greg has a piece of wood there so I can't get to it, So i am going to attach wire to the wood and then fold it down under the wood to the wall of the aviary, I hope this does it.

I went into the second aviary and I think I have solved the problem there , NO more smell.

I caught one mouse in the bird room today.