• Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  462
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Device:  Windows

Hopefully, this is the right place for me to post. I have to travel interstate and I have just bought a new little budgie (which I just posted about yesterday). I have decided I am going to take him with me as he is separated/quarantined from my others and I am not confident to leave him at home to be looked after. Also I'm probably going to be away for a couple of weeks so I feel it's too long for me to leave with a carer. I have booked on a qantas flight and him too and now I need a travel box. Please does anyone know where I can purchase such a cage? I fly out tuesday and if I can't buy one I'll have to make one tomorrow (if I can).

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Hopefully, this is the right place for me to post. I have to travel interstate and I have just bought a new little budgie (which I just posted about yesterday). I have decided I am going to take him with me as he is separated/quarantined from my others and I am not confident to leave him at home to be looked after. Also I'm probably going to be away for a couple of weeks so I feel it's too long for me to leave with a carer. I have booked on a qantas flight and him too and now I need a travel box. Please does anyone know where I can purchase such a cage? I fly out tuesday and if I can't buy one I'll have to make one tomorrow (if I can).

Oops,

I am sure if I can't make one that the airport sells them, inquire there. They are ment to be light weight and small.

Edited by splat

• Member ID:  4,757

Oops,

I am sure if I can't make one that the airport sells them, inquire there. They are ment to be light weight and small.

Yes, I thought they would have them there (Aust. Air Express Sydney), but apparently not. At least that was what I was told not when I first rang to enquire. I was told they only had options for dogs and cats. I might ring tomorrow morning just in case - before I go searching.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

A lot of the bird stores sell them. The bird places that sell birds as they often import them and have the second hand boxes for sale. Budgie clubs and budgie club members often have some or know where to get them.

You only need a box the size of a tissue box with an end you can screw shut and a small mesh viewing window ( not to floor level ). If you have a bunnings store near you, look in their craft aisle, buy an mdf wooden tissue box and the all you do is add a closing door and mesh the part tissues pull out of and you have an easy to make travel box. Extra materials will be a piece of ply and some one inch or less square pine, a few screws.

You can also make an easy travel box by buying a budgie nestbox and modifying it.

Remember no perches........they travel best on the floor.

No seed.

No water.

The smaller the space the easier and safer they travel. Less window area means darker and they are quieter in that kind of box.

Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  4,757

A lot of the bird stores sell them. The bird places that sell birds as they often import them and have the second hand boxes for sale. Budgie clubs and budgie club members often have some or know where to get them.

You only need a box the size of a tissue box with an end you can screw shut and a small mesh viewing window ( not to floor level ). If you have a bunnings store near you, look in their craft aisle, buy an mdf wooden tissue box and the nall you do is add a closing door and mesh the part tissues pull out of and you have an easy to make travel box. Exta materials will be a piece of ply and some one inch or less square pine, a few screws.

You can also make an easy travel box by buying a budgie nestbox and modifying it.

Remember no perches........they travel best on the floor.r

No seed.

No water.

The smaller the space the easier and safer they travel. Less window area means darker and they are quieter in that kind of box.

Thanks Kaz, I'll try to find one ready made first at the 2 pet shops and if I have no luck then I'll make one using a nest box I think.