• Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  65
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hello!

My bird Tonton is about 11 months old. He's a perfect loving, smart animal with a pretty large vocabulary. He's been very friendly from the first day I brought him home. But my mom being a new retiree spoiled him way too much. He sleeps 12 hours and rest of the 12 hours he's running around free in our home, going to his cage only to eat. He spends his time mostly on our shoulder or on the floor playing soccer or trying to imitate us. Recently in the mornings he started to do a whistle I thought him as a baby (since he doesn't know how to chirp like a bird he only imitates us) He makes the same sound hundreds of times without stopping, it can last for hours. Its he most irritating sound in the world I just dont undertsnad why he started doing that now, and since it's really loud I'm worried about the neighbors. It also started to affect our sleep and mood. He gets more than enough attention and exercise. Can anybody tell me what can I do to make him stop that annoying sound? Please!!!!

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

It sounds like he is calling out. Either he hears another bird outside and nearby or he is calling you.

Never a good idea to have a bird used to running around at ground level. So many are killed this way in accidents.

• Member ID:  6,386
  • Followers:  0

Yeah I think he is calling out for me, but it's a bit problem for my mom when I'm not home, he just doesn't stop. I just hope this is a phase, or I'll need to buy more earplugs:unsure:

I know it's dangerous for him to be out of the cage all the time but we're very careful and he flies away if he's on the floor and see us coming toward.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

My only suggestion to stop this behavior is to put him back in his cage and cover his cage this is a negative action that he won't like and if learns when he makes this noise nothing comes good from it he will stop. It may take a week for a couple days for him to get it and it may get worse in the beginning where he will call even more if you put him in the cage but they are smart and can relate that if I do this this good or bad can happen.

My only suggestion to stop this behavior is to put him back in his cage and cover his cage this is a negative action that he won't like and if learns when he makes this noise nothing comes good from it he will stop. It may take a week for a couple days for him to get it and it may get worse in the beginning where he will call even more if you put him in the cage but they are smart and can relate that if I do this this good or bad can happen.

I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks a lot;)

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Keep us updated and when you cover him make sure it is a thick cover to help block out the light and make sure it is long enought that he can't climb on the bars to spots where he can see you, I would keep him in his cage until he is quiet and then wait about 5 mins so he can relate quiet or good behavior with being let out.

Edited by Elly

Keep us updated and when you cover him make sure it is a thick cover to help block out the light and make sure it is long enought that he can't climb on the bars to spots where he can see you, I would keep him in his cage until he is quiet and then wait about 5 mins so he can relate quiet or good behavior with being let out.

We started doing that and it seems to work. Wee leave him in the cage in the mornings and whenever he makes that annoying noise we cover his cage, and he stays there till he behaves. Hopefully he'll larn from this:) Thank you very much for the suggestion!!