rachelm

Four New Pairs

Dead in shell is often caused by a lack of humidity, you might try spraying a fine mist {water] arround the outside of nests where eggs are due to hatch. I know some people spray the eggs but I'm not a fan of that. Cheers Clearwing

Thank you Clearwing. I will try that next time. What I have been doing is not working :(

I saw an egg in a nest today that had gone discoloured like when the chick dies in shell. I took it out so I could throw it away. Then I saw a hole in the egg. It looked like the chick had begun to hatch but had stopped and died. As I was holding it I heard something. A peeping. The chick was still alive :D I peeled away the eggshell to find a live chick. It had begun to hatch but had stopped and had partially dried out and stuck to the shell. It stopped its hatching and could go no further. I checked it in the nest a short while ago and its doing fine. If I hadnt found it when I did it would have died.

089.jpg

This too is down to humidity I believe.

Congrats on your pinkies.

I to have had eggs go off colour and am sure they have died but have hatched and lived but I also have had 2 chicks start hatching and stop so I helped them out but they died 3 or 4 days later. NOT YELLOW belly I think hatched to early.

Kaz do you get this happening much with the humidity in Perth

Kaz do you get this happening much with the humidity in Perth

Not usually.

I'm so happy your little chick survived Kaz.