• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  320
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi guys, I am going to a breeders place today to look at some violets and pieds, he is asking $200 per pair! How will I know if I am getting my money's worth? It seems a bit steep to me! He metiomed one of his foundation stock birds cost him over $600! So I would love some pointers to help me get the right birds. I won't buy anything today, just a look..... but I'm hopeless..... no just a look LOL.

• Member ID:  6,042
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  740
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  4,045
  • Birthday:  15/06/1977

That does seem expensive. Are they show birds?

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

It sounds very much like you are jumping in the deep end first if you pay those kind of prices starting out. I wouldnt if I was in your shoes.

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

it really depends on the birds you buying but also on what you know

if you beginning id say buy nothing over 50.00 thats what i do

most i buy are 20 thirty and 10.00

and from good foundered studs so that i guess is what i would suggest

find a stud you like the look of the birds then find another stud with birds you also like

making sure the birds dont have to many faults yet not expecting perfict stock

then pair the birds from your first stud to birds from the other birds you brought best if both studs use simular or stock from certain breeders them self as birds will maybe click better

id start with maybe 4 pair 6 at most and see how you go

learn with these birds

when you can see that you know how to manage the management of nests and care of young extra then get bigger better birds if you feel need

but you may be surprised what you breed if you choose a stud that clicks with another :(

good luck

may i ask where your from what area maybe some one could help you find what your after for reasonable price from her you should ask in wanted thread

Edited by GenericBlue

• Member ID:  6,248

Well just returned home! What can I say........ stunning! absolutely stunning! The violet cock bird is HUGE, and looks really showey, the hen is very pretty and sits on the perch very nicely (she is sky blue SF violet dominant pied) I know it's alot, but they look awesome. I pick them up tomorrow, got to get my cages set up! I will take some pictures of them and let you guys be the judges! Ps I just sold 2 handraised lutino rainbows, that's how I can afford it, LOL

How old are they and has he been using them to breed with ?

• Member ID:  4,879
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  974
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  5,370

Oh boy. I hope this works out. I have a feeling you've taken the new kid on the block road... You seem as excited and keen as most of us and that often ends up doing more harm than good! If i had to start over as a beginner, I would have taken a mentor to help me buy birds! Show us pics :)

Well the hen is almost a year old, and the cock bird is 2, he hasn't bred with them before. He had several other cock birds caught ready for me to look at, but when I saw them I wasn't too fussed as they all looked like sky blue single factor violets. I looked in the aviary, and said ....... what about that one! He looked at me for a moment and then grabbed his net LOL. Nearly all of his birds are violet, or violet factor, he showed me some stunning violet dominant pieds in the nest........ they were so nice. I know that I could be wrong about the DF sky blue, but what else could he be? Such a deep blue with purple washed through, and the hen he said was cobalt violet SF dominant pied, but she would be purple if that were the case. Anyway the pics will tell the story...... post them in a couple of days.

Well the hen is almost a year old, and the cock bird is 2, he hasn't bred with them before. He had several other cock birds caught ready for me to look at, but when I saw them I wasn't too fussed as they all looked like sky blue single factor violets. I looked in the aviary, and said ....... what about that one! He looked at me for a moment and then grabbed his net LOL. Nearly all of his birds are violet, or violet factor, he showed me some stunning violet dominant pieds in the nest........ they were so nice. I know that I could be wrong about the DF sky blue, but what else could he be? Such a deep blue with purple washed through, and the hen he said was cobalt violet SF dominant pied, but she would be purple if that were the case. Anyway the pics will tell the story...... post them in a couple of days.

well congratulations

id like to say you spent way to much lol you could have got fantastic violets in any mutation for half that cost but if it was what you wanted then good for you

:(

ps i really hope you were not duped and that you brought from a breeder who actually has trophy resently sounds like just a backyarder if violets is all he breeds :)

surley he had other birds apart from them

100.00 is so steep

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Goos luck with your new birds :)

Well you must have been impressed with them and I hope they fulfill your dreams and expectations :) Would love to see pictures.

Was the breeder a show breeder ?

• Member ID:  4,879
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  974
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  5,370

I paid $100 each for a few of my new birds. Considering all the trouble im having, I DEFINITELY feel I over paid :(:wacko::)

But you know me GB, I'll do my best to get my moneys worth. If I can get anything out of them, I WILL!

I paid $100 each for a few of my new birds. Considering all the trouble im having, I DEFINITELY feel I over paid :(:wacko::)

But you know me GB, I'll do my best to get my moneys worth. If I can get anything out of them, I WILL!

dean patience and persistence two key words

dean im sure your birds will breed for you properly i think maybe a fly and accustom them to your feeding regime and presto

i had a hen this was my 4th go she ended up laying three double yoke eggs this last try this year so i tossed them and fostered last egg out

and i finally got one baby and well worth the time and effort for my two years worth of wishing as its a albino hen :D

you will find your footing again and when you do look out nz :yuck:

When I spoke to him he had very detailed records for all his birds, he also mentioned something about the nationals? ( wasn't really listening ..... hipnotised by the birds LOL) he is a very serious show breeder, so that's how I read it, trophy's were present too. And yes he had so many different colours, he was going on and on about this normal green bird...... it was nice. but he had alot of violets compared to most breeders I had spoken too.

GB, I have a similar story....... I had a sky blue dominant pied cock, and got him a lutino hen ( I liked their contrast LOL) and when she laid her first egg, I was there and saw it, She turned around sunk her beak into it and threw it out of the nestbox! The next day ....same thing, so the day after that I was ready, as soon as she laid it, I whistled really high pitched and she jumped out the nest box! I had rosa bourkes on eggs that were infertile, so I placed the egg with them, they raised this budgie beautifully, and because it was the only chick, it was big and fat! My friend still has 'Albert". So without me doin that that pair would have never reproduced!

When I spoke to him he had very detailed records for all his birds, he also mentioned something about the nationals? ( wasn't really listening ..... hipnotised by the birds LOL) he is a very serious show breeder, so that's how I read it, trophy's were present too. And yes he had so many different colours, he was going on and on about this normal green bird...... it was nice. but he had alot of violets compared to most breeders I had spoken too.

GB, I have a similar story....... I had a sky blue dominant pied cock, and got him a lutino hen ( I liked their contrast LOL) and when she laid her first egg, I was there and saw it, She turned around sunk her beak into it and threw it out of the nestbox! The next day ....same thing, so the day after that I was ready, as soon as she laid it, I whistled really high pitched and she jumped out the nest box! I had rosa bourkes on eggs that were infertile, so I placed the egg with them, they raised this budgie beautifully, and because it was the only chick, it was big and fat! My friend still has 'Albert". So without me doin that that pair would have never reproduced!

i myself dont like to milk hens for their eggs but i just wanted one chick

she would have sat and raised this one but i felt raising one chick after rearing a round of fosters was mabybe waste her time so i rested her then i moved to on to someone whom does know how and is happy to take her eggs

she is a brilliant hen

iam glad for him if he gets anything as shes a nice big henish looking bird not cock headed

well im glad they were a breeder and glad they knew their birds history

sounds like you will be fine not many breeders will rip you off if they know its your first pair some will but most the bigger breeders have more brains and a rep to keep ( most )

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

What part of Australia are you from Violetpiedmad? :)

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

I paid $100 each for a few of my new birds. Considering all the trouble im having, I DEFINITELY feel I over paid :D:):)

Gosh Dean ONLY $100. I've paid significantly more for birds that have been complete duds. I had a discussion with a fellow breeder on the weekend comparing what we had bought and his comment was that he had spent well over $5000 on birds over the last few years at least half of which didn't breed or had significant issues (that's a wasted $2500). Sometimes we just have to be a bit lucky not to get dudded. I hope to hear of the successes that violet pied has with his new birds to restore some of my dwindling faith in human kind! :)

• Member ID:  5,834
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  189
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1,395
  • Birthday:  13/03/1970

We have made up birth certificates for our baby budgies and have developed a care fact sheet using the Budgie's point of view. Such as, I need lots of love and tender care. We have included pics of what both the cock and hen look like. And we are going to put on it the variation and mutations the bird actually is.

I'm from Noosa, Sunshine coast QLD Splat.

well nubly, I feel a bit better knowing others have spent lots on birds as well! I'm going to another breeders place today in Brisbane, as I have various finches, doves, lorikeets and other parrots to sell there, this guy wants only $50 per violet, but he did say they aren't the biggest birds around! So I will go there and at least have a look, but if I do decide I like some, and also get the $200 pair, I must quarantine them away from each other, plus away from all my current birds, that's okay got heaps of room. I'll let you guys know how I go :question: