• Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,375
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  23/04/1982

Oh :(

The breeder said she was a Melanistic DF.:huh:

I myself have no idea how to check as she is a DF - do you know? Then I can check and let you know :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  5,144
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  267
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,440

Lovely birds Amy, I love opaline spangles they are always so pretty.

I think in regards to the melenistic spangles I remember seeing some photos of young ones posted here and they almost look normal in nest feather then mature to a spangle pattern, but I have never had anything to do with them and haven't seen one in the flesh [feather ] lol.

Cheers Jenny

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

once DF it is impossible as all the markings are gone. I don't have any DF myself :( but i believed the DF melanistic spangle had some colour all over their body. I will search to see if I can find Daz's pictures of his.

Hilly is right the babies have normal wings markings and a spangle tail when in baby feathers and the slowly moult into the more normal spangle look.

It only hit me when i was looking at these last lot of pictures that you stated mum was a M.spangle, i had to check her out as i was surprised she won a place in a show as i heard show breeders didn't like this mutation.

here is the DF M spangle from Daz:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a26/darrylw/1W002.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a26/darrylw/PR-1W026.jpg

I believe both are being called DF M.Sangle

link to topic

http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/index.php?showtopic=15339&st=0&p=178486&hl=+melanistic%20+spangles&fromsearch=1entry178486

Edited by *Nerwen*

• Member ID:  5,830
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  290
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1,590

The melanistic spangle is interesting, I remember years ago Mr Bryce Grinlington [ who was the first top breeder to be sold spangles by Merv jones, who first bred them ] produced these spangles in numbers, he called them grizzled spangles. No-one took much notice of them and they were penalized heavily on the show bench as having the wrong markings. Now that they have re-amerged everyone wants them. When we first took the spangle birds to be recognized as a variety, I remember having discussions with many of our top breeders at the time, I told them "we don't yet know what this variety is capable of, as it was produced in a colony breeding environment and has many varieties in its background including Danish Pieds and Greywings." Cheers Clearwing

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

yeah a know pieds were a big part of the early breeding.

i like the term grizzled spangles - suit the way the gene works. but Melanistic has been used

• Member ID:  5,666
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,375
  • Birthday:  23/04/1982

once DF it is impossible as all the markings are gone. I don't have any DF myself :( but i believed the DF melanistic spangle had some colour all over their body. I will search to see if I can find Daz's pictures of his.

Hilly is right the babies have normal wings markings and a spangle tail when in baby feathers and the slowly moult into the more normal spangle look.

It only hit me when i was looking at these last lot of pictures that you stated mum was a M.spangle, i had to check her out as i was surprised she won a place in a show as i heard show breeders didn't like this mutation.

here is the DF M spangle from Daz:

http://i8.photobucke...rrylw/1W002.jpg

http://i8.photobucke...lw/PR-1W026.jpg

I believe both are being called DF M.Sangle

link to topic

http://forums.budgie...=1

Would her blue suffusion contribute to the DF M Spangle look at all? Maybe like a poorly marked M DF? :wacko:It's all a bit confusing still.

She did have another baby that was born but died - I'll have to check my photos but from memory it was starting to feather up normally.

I'll try her again when it's a bit cooler and she's in condition and see what happens.

Looking at the second photo reminds me of my hen - in certain light she gets quite blue, except for her head and wings.

The melanistic spangle is interesting, I remember years ago Mr Bryce Grinlington [ who was the first top breeder to be sold spangles by Merv jones, who first bred them ] produced these spangles in numbers, he called them grizzled spangles. No-one took much notice of them and they were penalized heavily on the show bench as having the wrong markings. Now that they have re-amerged everyone wants them. When we first took the spangle birds to be recognized as a variety, I remember having discussions with many of our top breeders at the time, I told them "we don't yet know what this variety is capable of, as it was produced in a colony breeding environment and has many varieties in its background including Danish Pieds and Greywings." Cheers Clearwing

Interesting information, thank you Clearwing. :)

I have been reading and re-reading articles written by Jeff Attwood, Barrie Shutt, the threads and posts on here and other websites.