Boarding My Budgies - What Should I Do?

Guest gudgeon

Guest gudgeon

My house had some ceiling damage in a storm and it will be repaired by patching and painting. I'll have to send my birds for boarding so the paint fumes don't affect them.

Their cage is quite big and can't be transported. I have a tiny little cage that I bought in case they have to go to the vet. At this stage, there are 2 places I could take them to. Details are a bit vague, I need to get some more information and go for an inspection (I've another to telephone yet).

So far, one says they have a cage that the birds could go in (if suitable, I wouldn't have to buy another cage), the other I'd need to supply their own cage and they'd be kept in the kennel owner's house alongside their own small birds (not sure exactly what they've got, I'll have to ring to find out). Is there any reason they shouldn't go into the borrowed cage? Would they be better off in a new cage of their own? Is being kept with other birds a big risk if the other birds appear healthy and are well-cared for? Will they be stressed if they are kept with the other birds? Will they be stressed at having to downsize/change cages? I'm not sure how long they'll need to stay until the paint fumes clear (I'll see whether they can use low-fume paint) - maybe a week? What size cage would be suitable for them to stay in for that period of time?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I really don't know what to do. Any advice as to what would be best will be gratefully received.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Normal quarantine practices should be in place for any birds that are to be near other birds. Normal quarantine practices are.........in another room, another airspace at least 5 metres from any other birds.

Many diseases are airborne and spread from droppings and dander dust.

Psittacosis can be carried by abird not showing symptoms but the minute that bird is next to another, the new bird goes down withina week to ten days and will die within two days of showing symptoms.

ANYONE who says they can board your bird next to their birds is already showing a lack of knowledge about how these things work.

In this case the bird is far better going to be cared for in the home of someone who hasnt any other birds.

A well disinfected cage should be fine but a lot of people get their cleaning skills for cages at differing levels too, or how to fully disinfect a cage with the right stuff to make it safe.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  5,207
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  617
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,480
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I do not board my birds because of the sort of things Kaz has mentioned. I would not want them to go into anything other than a new cage or one that I had cleaned.

When I go away, I have a house sitter who will care for my birds or else I don't go.

Is there a room in your house where your birds could be shut away from the repair work? Do you have a garage where they could stay in the interim? Do you have family without birds who would allow them to live at their place for a while?

Guest gudgeon

Thanks for the replies.

No, the house isn't big enough for the birds to be kept in the house in another room. 2 rooms will have the ceilings done. That just leaves my bedroom and the kitchen (not enough room in either, and not suitable in any event). We've only a carport which is open on 2 sides and the back patio is also open at the back. And there's no-one I know who can take them (although there's someone I can ask, although she's got a cat and dog so it may not be feasible).

Today I bought them a new cage to go in. It's quite a reasonable size, but it fits in my car. My vet can take them. They'll be in a room by themselves, not near the dogs and other animals or any birds coming for a consultation. I've sent an email to another place to see what they can offer. At this stage the vet's seems the best option, I trust the people there. The other place (without the birds) said they'd go in a kitchen area on top of a fridge (!) I've asked the builders to use low-fume paint, so hopefully they won't have to go for long.