How Often Should You Clean Your Bird Cage?

• Member ID:  6,131
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  59
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  425
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/04/1997

I would like to know . I usually Clean it once a week. Should I clean it more often?

Bullet makes a mess & poops a fair bit. Does this mean I have to clean the cage more often?

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I dont know if this helps or not........

BUT in my breeder cages I use a thick wad of newspaper to line the bottom of the cage and each day remove the top layer or two, and I do the main clean on the weekend. All depends on what you are lining the cage floor with I suppose. :D

Well , My cage floor has like a tray and I have no newspaper in the tray. Next time I clean it I think I might put in some catalogues. (One's that have been read)

It might help by a lot.

• Member ID:  4,288
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  317
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,300
  • Birthday:  11/09/1991

Make sure that the catalogues dont have the shinny paper as this is toxic to budgies.. The safest thing I would use would be white paper towel as the colour ink on news paper can also be toxic depending on where you live

So Catalogues that have newspaper paper ?

Or would it be fine if I just leave the tray bare with no Newspaper or Catalogues?

• Member ID:  5,204
  • Content Count:  90
  • Achievement Points:  605

I just use the regular local newspaper, not the catalogues, and put it on the floor of the cage, and I do as Kaz does, I put the whole newspaper in, and just remove the top couple of sheets every day or so depending on how messy it is, then each weekend, I take out all the newspaper, then remove the tray from under the cage, & wash it out, along with all the toys, feeders etc, and then start all over again.

I think it's just a lot easier with the newspaper, plus they like shredding it, or hiding under it. Sometimes, I'll tear a little hole in the top sheet of the paper and hide some millet - they love the millet, so inevitably, they always find it, and the hole is way bigger after it all. Keeps them amused.

Robyn

Edited by RJT

I am taking your advice . I will get some newspaper and I do that. :blush:

I take out all the newspaper, then remove the tray from under the cage, & wash it out, along with all the toys, feeders etc, and then start all over again.

I like to rearrange my toys as well after each time I clean out the cage . Bullet likes it when I do that.

• Member ID:  5,207
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  617
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,480

Rearranging toys or swapping toys is a good idea. Budgies enjoy a variety of things to do, expecially if they are in a confined space. A fresh bok choy leaf and/or some bottlebrush will keep them amused, too.

I also use newspaper in the bottom of my cages and I change it daily. I put the food dishes on the floor of the cage (clear of the perches) so I don't want them walking yesterday's poop through their food.

I use the classified pages of the newspaper - the ones with mainly black ink on them. Sometimes my budgies rip up the paper and I would prefer they weren't chewing coloured ink. If I were using paper towels, I would use the recycled ones made without the coloured patterns. My cages are very large and the paper towels are just not big enough.

Rearranging toys or swapping toys is a good idea. Budgies enjoy a variety of things to do, expecially if they are in a confined space. A fresh bok choy leaf and/or some bottlebrush will keep them amused, too.

Millet Spray & Seed Treats is also amusing for Budgies. Bullet loves his treats!

Sometimes my budgies rip up the paper

My brother's Budgie does that a lot . She loves to rip those newspapers up.

• Member ID:  6,102
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  47
  • Achievement Points:  305
  • Birthday:  28/11/1947

I have a cage with just one budgie in it and every morning I wipe his perches clean with damp paper towel and vinegar solution, I then use a small dustbuster type hand held vac with a crevice tool so no accidently sucking budgie up :blush: to suck up any husks from his seed and any feathers from the bottom of the cage. I also check his seed to make sure it is seed and not just husks and I give fresh water every day.

I change the sand paper at the bottom of the cage every other day, and give the cage a complete thorough wash down once a week.

I know most on here dont recomend sand sheets for the cage floor as they are not too gentle on the birds feet, but Bruce has never gone on the floor of his cage he panics if he accidently ends up there, so I doubt it would affect his feet having sand sheets on his floor, and I think they look tidier, I wouldnt use them if he used the floor of his cage.

• Member ID:  5,925
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  114
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  730

I've previously had cages with just a tray in the bottom and I put used A4 sheets of paper from the printer (instead of recycling them) on the bottom. I cleaned out the cage every 2 days - change the paper, wash the whole cage and let it dry in the sun (no budgie inside of course!!). The paper certainly made it easier to keep the cage clean.

Now I've got cages which have a wire bottom that can be pulled out and there is a tray underneath that, so all the mess and droppings falls through the wire and into the tray. I've found this design to be even better than what I had before as the mess is concentrated in the tray which is easy to clean because I line it with newspaper. It also means that I don't have to clean out the whole cage every couple of days. I also put one or two sheets of sand paper in the bottom as they like to forage on any greens which have fallen to the bottom. I know the sheets aren't really that good for their feet but they aren't on them all the time and they allow some of the greens to stop falling through the wire. I also place the sheets so that they aren't over their favourite perching points so they don't get soiled quickly.

Now I've got cages which have a wire bottom that can be pulled out and there is a tray underneath that, so all the mess and droppings falls through the wire and into the tray.

That's the kind of cage I have. So when Bullet makes a mess it falls into the tray. I also found seed leftovers outside of the cage so my mum made a "Seed Catcher".

• Member ID:  5,925
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  114
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  730

Seed catchers are a good idea and I've used them in the past on small cages, but I've found it useless with my lot. They have a wonderful habit of flapping about over their seed containers that the husks get airborne and land everywhere. I invested in a cordless hand vac which is used daily!! At least it doesn't take long to clean up.

• Member ID:  5,628
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  1,283
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  8,095
  • Birthday:  26/03/1998

My budgies also love to forage for fallen greens. Marigold has taken to jumping in the seed dish while I am attempting to hook it on the bars and kicking out the seed before I can give it to them. I have a pull out tray, but I have newspaper over the grate so they can forage. My lot have now taken to foraging for treats inside newspaper rolls (non toxic ) and they mostly drop the treats.