• Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

How did the dogs and cats of the days I was growing up ever survive ?? If you are to believe the vets advice these days about what they should and shouldnt eat, what they should and shouldnt have and why ..........it amazes me the dogs and cats of my childhood ever survived to adulthood themselves !!

Dogs and cats used to eat the scraps off our dinner plates as well as food of their own. They would eat the onions and garlic in leftover stews. they would get bowls of milk, cream, yoghurt and anything looking slightly off in the fridge.

These days we are told........OH NO !! :( They cant have that !! with horror in the voice of a vet nurse as she advises care for Maggie who is nursing her pups.

We are trying to get Maggie to eat well for her pups. Yesterday she lost her milk supply to a great degree and then wouldnt eat much at all. Due to dilligent care and attention from me she is better and eating today. I was trying anything and everything.

I am, trying to acchieve a massive workload of leadlight jobs and repairs and still having to be awake a good part of the night to be sure Maggie is okay and well and eating and drinking and also I am supplement feeding her pups by bottle.

Why wont Maggie eat the pasty high protein puppy canned muck that costs and arm and a leg ?? She must they say...she needs it.

She may need it but she wont touch it and I dont blame her. :D

We bought the high protein puppy biscuits the vet advised she needs at $25 for a small pack. She wont touch them either. they stink to high heaven....very strong smelling. I tried disguising them by mixing them through some cooked chicken. They stuck to the cooked chicken and then she extricated each and every 5mm round puppy biscuit from the chicken and spat it out. :(

I have been giving her egg flips.....calcium enriched puppy milk with an egg beaten into it and also her obligatory calcium syrup she absolutely must have by vets instructions. She loves them !! Its a good way to get protein into her, her extra calcium AND the puppy milk the vets say she must have. Now they tell me........

NO!!!!! she cant have uncooked eggs !!!

All the years I bred dobermanns my dobies got eggflips three times a week and I dont recall any of them getting sick on it. Maggie also has had raw eggs many times. including any budgie eggs that werent fertile, shell and all.

I read how giving her scrambled eggs with a little extra butter through it helps a mother feeding puppies........so I cook her scrambled eggs with the calcium enriched puppy milk and eggs and a tablespoon of butter. :( she eats it, when she wasnt eating much of anything..... bonus !!

Then the vet nurse says again

NO !!!! dont give her butter. It may upset her system and give her the runs !!

A nursing mother has soft poos anyway especially having recently eaten the placentas of the puppies.

Has the butter changed her poos ? NO....it hasnt.

Then the vet nurse tackles me on why I didnt have Maggie fully eating the high protein puppy canned food before and through having the puppies.

I tell her that we have always fed them better food than that and our dogs will NOT eat canned food anymore. Why is it that vets and their staff figure the canned pasty refined muck is better than what we are feeding the dogs ..........a full and varied diet thats a bit more natural ? Are they fully believing the " blurb " on the side of the can ?

So....how do we convince a dog who hates canned and processed foods that suddenly its better for them ? Starve her till she eats it ?!

the diet our dogs have had for a very long time is.........

Kangaroo, mutton and beef, cooked with either pasta or rice and vegies.

Raw meat.

Chicken necks

Chicken carcasses.

Biscuits

Eggs.

Whats so bad about that ?

I am wondering what is so bad about that in comparison to canned food being currently recommended. There's no encouragement by vets and staff of vets when you say you feed a variety to your dogs. They promote the canned and dry biscuit diet.

this all reminds me very much of the vets that ignore the fact we budgie breeders offer so much variety of foods to our budgies and still say NO !!! feed them PELLETS !! :)

so.........tell me people :D

did we kill all the dogs and cats in our childhood by feeding them all this WRONG FOOD ????? I dont recall any of them dying an early death. In fact I think they lived longer than many pets do these days.

Am I wrong ?

Frustration is me......now trying to give Maggie the best I can for her and her puppies and being told by the vets I am doing it all wrong. Add to that little sleep and a chronic workload.

I have decided to not phone the vets anymore unless absolutely necessary. BUT believe it or not they keep phoning me :hurryup:

Just had another of the vets on the phone to me and I spoke to him at length and actually ended up hanging up on him :)

They insist that there is only one way to go. If I dont make Maggie eat the canned dog food , I must fully handraise the puppies all by myself.

I was trying to get from him ............what does the canned food have in it that I could get to give Maggie as an extra in the food she would eat. All I got from him was a fast reply about extra vitamins and when I asked what they were and how to get them...he wouldnt tell me.

He insists if I refuse to force Maggie to eat the canned dog food she wont touch then I have no choice but to handraise the puppies myself. There is no half measures according to them.

So.....any suggestions ?

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  5,785
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  306
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,225
  • Birthday:  08/08/1992

your absolutely right kaz!!!!!!!!!1

i have thought the same thing myself,

everyday my dog licks the milk leftover from my cereal.

everynow and then he gets a little bit of goodies like cake or something, but he is perfectly healthy!.

we feed him raw breastr chicken, raw meat, as he doesnt like the canned ****

im not sure why they promote that as it is basically guts in a can. ????

you would think they would advise a diet of variety, with fresh foods that are higher in protein, nutrients etc

fresh foods ARE MORE NUTRITIOUS

dont they know that? you think they would with their supposeably high iq and there big shot uni degress

i have nothing against them personaly, but i think they go with the generic idea

that if you feed them "dog food", which is for DOGS they think you are doing them good ??????

oh well, just keep feeding as you are i say

WOULD MAGGIE HAVE GIVEN BIRTH TO 7 HEALTHY PUPPIES ON HER FIRST TIME

IF SHE WASNT HEALTHY ??? ASK THEM THAT

your doing a great job kaz , dw about what they say.

• Member ID:  5,835
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  361
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,075

Our world has too much information now and everyone says this and that , Go back 50 years and noone had any probs with dogs and cats , birds , even ourselves.

We over complicate things , Keep it simple and easy . There your dogs arent they? , Do what you like!

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2

They were trying emotional blackmail on me............the vet basically said if I didnt feed the processed puppy food in a can to maggie right now then she and her puppies would die. It was at this point I told him I was hanging up on him.

The point I was trying to make was

she wont eat it

so what can I add to what she is eating to make the difference ?

They were being hardnosed and wouldnt assist in that way. Its the canned food or not. The canned food or death to ***** and puppies and it would be all my fault and then I was a bad pet owner.

• Member ID:  5,835
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  361
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,075

They were trying emotional blackmail on me............the vet basically said if I didnt feed the processed puppy food in a can to maggie right now then she and her puppies would die. It was at this point I told him I was hanging up on him.

The point I was trying to make was

she wont eat it

so what can I add to what she is eating to make the difference ?

They were being hardnosed and wouldnt assist in that way. Its the canned food or not. The canned food or death to ***** and puppies and it would be all my fault and then I was a bad pet owner.

Yep its BS, If your children didnt eat their dinner would you force them to eat it , which would probably make them throw up . I dont think so. You would give them what they like and be happy they are eating something. Offer a variety and she will eat what she likes. Dont fall for the guilt trip.

Yep its BS, If your children didnt eat their dinner would you force them to eat it , which would probably make them throw up . I dont think so. You would give them what they like and be happy they are eating something. Offer a variety and she will eat what she likes. Dont fall for the guilt trip.

She gets to eat a lot of good things right now.

Cooked chicken and vegies and rice

Raw meat

Sausages

Puppy biscuits ( bone shaped ) ...she will eat these.

Egg flips ( raw egg, puppy milk with calcium, and her calcium syrup )

Scrambled eggs made with calcium enriched puppy milk.

Chicken necks

Now I was told that raw eggs will likely give her salmonella poisoning. I said she hasnt had that in all the three years she's been given eggs ( both chicken eggs and the clear eggs, shell and all from the budgies ) ........Vet says " just because she hasnt with 20 or so eggs already doesnt mean she wont now". Wouldnt that be different if I was collecting eggs from a chookyard and not washing them ? Besides she has had way more than 20 eggs in her three years also.

Wouldnt the risk of salmonella also come with giving her raw chicken necks ?? Yet the vets says to give them those too when he isnt forcing the canned food diet.

I will never believe that a dry food diet or canned food diet is a complete meal for any dog. None of the dogs I have had over the past 40 years have had to have that rubbish. The vets are just using this situation to force the issue, just as they do with birds and the pellet debate every time one of us takes a bird to the vet.

• Member ID:  5,779
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  497
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  3,455
  • Birthday:  07/08/1989

I get very annoyed at vets like that. We had one a while ago (before we moved) selling us all this expensive canned food that would supposedly put my pets in better health. At that time I had 1 dog and three cats.

A short while after, once we had moved, we booked in our animals at a boarder while we went on holiday. This was only the three cats, as our dog had died of old age...after eating absolutely anything she could get her teeth around. The boarder herself laughed at us when we told them what we feed them. She said "Canned food is terrible stuff. Its almost 90% water content, so your pets never get the vitamins they need." She recommended us switching to pet mince which was just meat and nothing else.

In the time since we have changed their diet we have found her to be correct. Not only were our cats excretions more solid, but the skinnier of the three, who could never seem to put on any weight, doubled in girth. But I guess I wouldn't gain weight either if I was basically having water for dinner.

So don't listen to the vets Kaz if you feel that your way is better, because they don't always tell the truth....they just want your money lol

• Member ID:  5,688
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  200

Kaz, they tell you to feed animals the products the dog and cat food companies commission them to sell... they attempt to scare you into buying some product they are flogging for a high commission. No better/different than advertisers telling us we need new tv's, cars, a bigger house in a nicer suburb etc. Tell them their wrong, tell them to stop trying to rip you off with rubbish products.

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

I think you are doing the right thing with what you are doing. She gets a very balanced diet from what you say. I would not go changing it now. As for the extra vitamins, they need to put them in dog food as most dogs do not eat or even get given cooked veges and rice.

Keep going with what you are doing. I am sure that Maggie and the pups will appreciate it.

I have voted with my feet and I will now go to a different vet.

• Member ID:  5,207
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  617
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,480

I cannot contribute too much to this discussion other than to comment about the feeding of raw eggs. In my lengthy career as an animal lover, I have had many a stray cat arrive on my door step. Some of them have been in appalling condition - starving, too sick to eat properly or groom themselves.

My standard approach has always been to offer them some raw egg beaten in milk. That and human baby food was all they received until they were better.

In short order, their coats improved and they moved to solid fare. In their own good time, they refused the raw egg. They listened to their own bodies. They knew what they needed and when. I never had one of these cats die prematurely.

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

kaz eggs raw are best thing for dogs keeps coats shinny and the protin is good just one a week though

lambs fry is great for dogs with puppys dogs not to much as is rich in vitamins all she would need so could give runns lol as would the canned food

you can place it mixed with her chicken and she will love it

cook it well as we would eat it WELL I WOULDNT onion is bad for dogs but thats always been known fact

feed her normal diet

chicken rice with garlic is great

add some livers or lambs fry you have perfict meal

new vet good move :lol:

Edited by GenericBlue

• Member ID:  4,950
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  480
  • Birthday:  04/04/1978

Kaz, I'm sorry to hear the vet is causing so much confusion for you at the moment, which you do not need.

The above advice is well worth listening to and, I agree, I think they are only trying to push the canned food and calcium syrup onto you because they get benefits from sales reps.

I have had dogs all my life, not that that makes me a know-all but I think at the end of the day logic will win.

My father used to transport livestock and he always had kelpies, which were borrowed, to help him load and unload sheep. So often when we used to receive these dogs, they were in a terrible condition, borderline on neglected. I remember Mum used to cook up some offal (once a week) and give them nice bones, raw egg, etc, the works, and the difference in the condition of the dogs coats and their general health and happiness was unbelieveable.

Because of the varied diet that you have fed Maggie, that is why she won't touch the canned junk. That would be like if your parents brought you up on fine cuisine all your life and then someone tried feeding you canned rubbish...you would turn your nose up at it too.

My dogs are the same, if I try give them canned food, they just aren't interested. But, I tell you what, they know when they're getting 'proper' food, they jump up and down and make a big carry on about it.

That canned junk the vet is trying to push on you would be the rubbish at the meatworks that they sweep up off the floor, it is high in fat, salt, and water and then most likely pumped with artificial vitamins and minerals. Canned food is also no good for dogs for the same reason it is no good for human babies...it is so processed and pulverised that it gives their digestive systems nothing to do or 'work' on and there's just no goodness in it at all.

From what I've read, I think you are giving Maggie the best diet she could possibly have and she is getting all the nutrients she needs...naturally!! And that will make her a much stronger dog at the end of the day rather than that **** the vet is suggesting.

I think you've done the right thing by giving that vet the flick, all they are doing is causing unnecessary stress to you and Maggie. You have bred dogs before and I think you know what you are doing and you seem a lot more switched on than these bogus vets. Like doctors, plumbers, scientists, etc, just because they have a piece of paper does not mean they know everything because they really don't!! Stick with what you are doing and if you are still concerned as to the diet you are feeding Maggie I would maybe have a chat with other Cavalier breeders and I'm sure they will reassure you that you are doing the right thing.

Chin up mate and keep us posted, you are doing a tremendous job and don't let anyone tell you different!! :unsure:

Kaz, I'm sorry to hear the vet is causing so much confusion for you at the moment, which you do not need.

The above advice is well worth listening to and, I agree, I think they are only trying to push the canned food and calcium syrup onto you because they get benefits from sales reps.

I have had dogs all my life, not that that makes me a know-all but I think at the end of the day logic will win.

My father used to transport livestock and he always had kelpies, which were borrowed, to help him load and unload sheep. So often when we used to receive these dogs, they were in a terrible condition, borderline on neglected. I remember Mum used to cook up some offal (once a week) and give them nice bones, raw egg, etc, the works, and the difference in the condition of the dogs coats and their general health and happiness was unbelieveable.

Because of the varied diet that you have fed Maggie, that is why she won't touch the canned junk. That would be like if your parents brought you up on fine cuisine all your life and then someone tried feeding you canned rubbish...you would turn your nose up at it too.

My dogs are the same, if I try give them canned food, they just aren't interested. But, I tell you what, they know when they're getting 'proper' food, they jump up and down and make a big carry on about it.

That canned junk the vet is trying to push on you would be the rubbish at the meatworks that they sweep up off the floor, it is high in fat, salt, and water and then most likely pumped with artificial vitamins and minerals. Canned food is also no good for dogs for the same reason it is no good for human babies...it is so processed and pulverised that it gives their digestive systems nothing to do or 'work' on and there's just no goodness in it at all.

From what I've read, I think you are giving Maggie the best diet she could possibly have and she is getting all the nutrients she needs...naturally!! And that will make her a much stronger dog at the end of the day rather than that **** the vet is suggesting.

I think you've done the right thing by giving that vet the flick, all they are doing is causing unnecessary stress to you and Maggie. You have bred dogs before and I think you know what you are doing and you seem a lot more switched on than these bogus vets. Like doctors, plumbers, scientists, etc, just because they have a piece of paper does not mean they know everything because they really don't!! Stick with what you are doing and if you are still concerned as to the diet you are feeding Maggie I would maybe have a chat with other Cavalier breeders and I'm sure they will reassure you that you are doing the right thing.

Chin up mate and keep us posted, you are doing a tremendous job and don't let anyone tell you different!! :unsure:

Thankyou very much...........I needed that :rofl:

Here is a slideshow of the puppies as they were last night th_036-3.jpg

Thankyou very much...........I needed that :rofl:

Here is a slideshow of the puppies as they were last night th_036-3.jpg

leanneR you are spot on kaz shes right

:P

but you know that

follow your gut its never failed you before has it ???

Your most welcome!! :rofl:

:unsure: Here's an idea...have you had a look online to see if there are any forums, like this one, that deal with dog breeding?

I know there's a good site www.dogzonline.com.au which is much like this one with a forum for Australian pure dog breeders of all kinds. You will most likely find other Cavalier breeders in your area too. Worth checking out. :P

Your most welcome!! :rofl:

:unsure: Here's an idea...have you had a look online to see if there are any forums, like this one, that deal with dog breeding?

I know there's a good site www.dogzonline.com.au which is much like this one with a forum for Australian pure dog breeders of all kinds. You will most likely find other Cavalier breeders in your area too. Worth checking out. :D

Well ...yes and no. I have already experienced the wrath of the anti dog breeding fraternity, the "buy a rescue dog and dont breed" fraternity and the Cavalier breeders who frown on any breeding of a cavalier who isnt a blue ribbon show winner. Been there done that and believe me...........there's a pile of angry lunatics out there with axes to grind and no help to oiffer.

I think my vet nursing experience of the past, my dog breeding experience and common sense will see me through.

I am just so darned angry at the attitude of that vet. One eyed, tunnelvisioned right fighter he was :P

Another thing to remember Kaz, and getting back to basics, we can all see from the adorable photos you've put up on the forum that the puppies are obviously feeding as they have grown and they have nice little fat tummies!! A very good indication of the terrific job both yourself and Maggie are doing. :unsure:

One eyed, tunnelvisioned right fighter

lol

pmsl

:unsure:

Another thing to remember Kaz, and getting back to basics, we can all see from the adorable photos you've put up on the forum that the puppies are obviously feeding as they have grown and they have nice little fat tummies!! A very good indication of the terrific job both yourself and Maggie are doing. :unsure:

Yes they have :rofl:

• Member ID:  5,898
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  206
  • Achievement Points:  1,245
  • Birthday:  13/11/1966

Kaz the proof is in the pudding look at how beautiful and healthy looking Maggies babies are, you are absolutly providing the best and most nutrious food to Maggie, the puppies are thriving. You and Maggie are doing a wonderful job.

• Member ID:  5,405
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  151
  • Achievement Points:  935
  • Birthday:  13/03/1996

I agree.

When Nibbles was sick and we took him to the vet, the vet gave us 10 different supplements that costed us over $100, and then when my mum told him that he was a very fussy eater, he said "Oh no, he'll love this". Yeh right. He wouldn't touch the stuff, and I don't blame him, it smelt terrible and I doubt it tasted very nice either. & Also we read up on kidney and liver failure and it matched Nibbles symptoms, and when we took him to the vet to get his opinion, he said "Oh no, he can't be sick, he doesn't look sick"! We're talking about a well trained highly regarded avian vet tell us that he will only judge if he is sick or not on how her looks! He should know that birds are very good at hiding their illnesses, and he should of taken what we said about him having weird droppings, sleeping a lot etc into consideration and not just chuck us out of the room and getting us to hand of $55 for 5 minutes of his time. And maybe if he had tested Nibbles, and taken what we said into consideration, he'd still be alive :unsure:

Vets always seem to think they know best, but the truth is they don't. Sometimes you need to just ignore the vet and do what you feel is right :wine So don't let them vets boss you around. We know what’s best for our pets!

Well I have tried to use the high protein puppy bikkies ( vet suggestion ) in the food Maggie is eating and she knows its in there and refuses to eat it. Waste of good food. Back to basics.

• Member ID:  5,199
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  941
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  5,680

I think you just hit the nail on the head Kaz..."back to basics"..

The blokes a tool Kaz....

If that Vet had any real thought for Maggie and her babies and not the $$ he gets from the Pet food company, surely the worst thing for her at the moment would be a change in diet... :bliss: especially that cra* !!

Home cooked fresh food verses canned ears / noses and leftover muck they scrape off the floor????

Do what your gut say's Kaz, glad you gave the Vet the flick, you know whats best and so does Maggie....

Good girl Maggie !!! Kisses from me sweetheart!! :wub: