• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  300
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  14/11/1987

Hi everyone,

I have had my budgie Leroy for about a month and a half and he seems to be too attached to his toys and his cage and Im a little worried that he is bonding to them rather than me.

He seems to be abit naughty now and wont do as he is told. When I first started training him, he was obeying me and stepping up onto my finger (while still in the cage) and letting me pet him. Now when I put my hand in he runs to the other side of the cage and wont step up. To get him out of the cage I have to use two hands and "cup" one over him so that I can get him out.

When he is out, he is very stressed and pants alot and doesnt seem to enjoy it at all. He sits on my shoulder, but is still stressed. When he flies away from me I walk over to him and he will step up onto my hand. I only get him out its only for 15-25 mins as I dont want him to have heart failure and die from stress, Id feel so terrible. I have tried bringing his toys out with him so that he feels more safe and at home, ánd offering him millet - but it makes no difference.

He had a mirror, but I took it out as he was getting too obsessed with it. His other toys are shiney ones and he can see his reflection in them too - should I take those ones out as well and swap it with some other ones.

I want him to have the best life possible, but I also want him to enjoy coming out of his cage.

Please give me some advice as to what I am doing wrong and any tips that you think may help. Thank you.

• Member ID:  5,901
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,097
  • Birthday:  01/01/1994

i would suggest taking out the shinny ones that he can see his reflection in. he probobly thinks its another bird and wants to bond with it. might want to wait for more suggestions from the pro's though.

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

You need to first gain his trust

Here is a great article on taming budgies written by Elly, a member of this forum, Link

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

He had a mirror, but I took it out as he was getting too obsessed with it. His other toys are shiney ones and he can see his reflection in them too - should I take those ones out as well and swap it with some other ones.

Yes to removal of all shiny or mirror like toys :o

• Member ID:  5,887
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  300
  • Birthday:  14/11/1987

okay I'll give that a go - I'll feel abit mean though as he likes to sleep right next to one of them. Thanks for the tip.

• Member ID:  5,773
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  57
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  345

My last budgie liked her cage more than anything as well but she trusted and bonded with me so if I am available to her I'll be the first preference, for 15mins anyway, then she'd want to return to the cage while continue chatting/playing with me THROUGH the cage. :lol: That only happened after I took away her mirror as she bonded with it, so I'd agree with others regarding the shiny toys. Get the non-shiny ones like ropes and beads etc. :P

• Member ID:  3,445
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,730
  • Birthday:  17/08/1948

My last budgie liked her cage more than anything as well but she trusted and bonded with me so if I am available to her I'll be the first preference, for 15mins anyway, then she'd want to return to the cage while continue chatting/playing with me THROUGH the cage. :D That only happened after I took away her mirror as she bonded with it, so I'd agree with others regarding the shiny toys. Get the non-shiny ones like ropes and beads etc. :)

I found the same with Charley. Initially I had no mirrors, now 2 years later he has totallly bonded with me and even though he has a few shiny toys that he can see himself in and has bonded with also, I am still number one.

He comes straight to me and only cuddles up to his mirrors when I'm not paying him attention. So I think maybe the secret is no mirrors at all initially but perhaps it seems to be okay once he has totally bonded with you.

Charley also prefers to be in his cage and I have to entice him to come out, he'll play outside it for a little while but then flies straight back in. I'm happy with that as he feels happy and secure in his cage. :D:D