• Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Wow, Really Kaz...? Thats sad to hear... For me anyways...
The reason breeders do not always euthenase a french moult chick is some of these chicks drop their flights and tail due to nutritional reasons or shock/stress leaving the nestbox. Some of these chicks grow them straight back again. Some chicks definitely proven to have french moult and recover their flights have a form of immunity.There will be differing schools of thought on this from different breeders, but in my on experience breeders are not, on the whole quick to euthenase anything that loses some flights based just on the guesswork it has freench moult. A case where a definite diagnosis helps. Touch wood, I havent had any for 2 years.
This is a type of deformed tail they grow, has any body else have this problem? or a stumpy one with a little feather on the end.mygoodbirds12feb2010015.jpg
Can you open up the feather shaft and put contents under the microscope to see if there is any quill mites inside the shaft ? Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Guess what I aint't culling this bird but like Kaz said maybe it is shock or nutritional problem, Greg reckons I give them too much stuff and that's my problem I wonder if their is any truth to that. He reckons every time he sees their water there is always someting in it and dosing them for and that, he thinks poor birds give them a chance.

This particular bird has always had 2 tail feathers, has never lost any wing feathers and I only discovered this deformed tail feather last night. I was and still am preparing him for the adult shield as he can still win with one tail. :rolleyes:

Question is ...........do we give are birds too much of this and that????????????? to course an unbalance in their system......................

Kaz would it be too late do open and check under microscope as I pulled it last night

This deformed tail feather is only about 2 inches long has no real structure and the main shaft is as thin a a feather and has no substance..

Edited by splat

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Kaz would it be too late do open and check under microscope as I pulled it last night

This deformed tail feather is only about 2 inches long has no real structure and the main shaft is as thin a a feather and has no substance..

I dont know if its too late.....I sent you stuff on how to ID quill mite however to compare it to though. Quill mite can cause these kinds of issues too as they bore holes in the feather shafts to get in and out, and they disrupt the blood flow along the feather. Worth a try checking for quill mite mate.

• Member ID:  5,835
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  361
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,075

Guess what I aint't culling this bird but like Kaz said maybe it is shock or nutritional problem, Greg reckons I give them too much stuff and that's my problem I wonder if their is any truth to that. He reckons every time he sees their water there is always someting in it and dosing them for and that, he thinks poor birds give them a chance.

This particular bird has always had 2 tail feathers, has never lost any wing feathers and I only discovered this deformed tail feather last night. I was and still am preparing him for the adult shield as he can still win with one tail. :rolleyes:

Question is ...........do we give are birds too much of this and that????????????? to course an unbalance in their system......................

Ivermic the tail and the tail folicle , also Feather is nearly all protein , so make sure your protein is raised in their diet especially for the birds with weaker feather.

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

okay

i belive what your saying splat i just said that as i was looking to buy a cock bird and when inspecting him this same tail look it really did look like a tail growing from the end then another and another

as the bit where it narrows had slight bit dry blood before thikening then back to thining

i would not cull a bird like this specially if you know all back ground as you do

quill mite is a option but you would think more birds would be supporting the same tail if this was the case

possabl it could be lack protin like matt sugested do you think ????

mabe that one birds not eatting everything you offer

can i ask whats the best thing to give birds whom lack in protin

???

mabe now its out splat it will grow back normal mate as as you said cant be moult if its one your own breed birds then you would of seen sighns in nest

i didnt know it was one your own breed thought could had slight case

cant adults catch slight case though if under weather

which this guy does not look

i dont know so i cant help i did read though that that look tail was due to fm in a bird so.... i dont buy birds that i see with that tail based on what i read but mabe i have passed up some good birds based on wrong info

as i said earlier today i dont think books are much good they all have a diffrent thing for same question or diffrent awnser for same thing

id breed him splat not a issue if he was my own breed

as you said he is a good bird

take a look under his wings at the end of feathers see if theirs any dry blood in the feather stems just where they come out of wing

if so even the smallest thing mabe he got the fm viris doubt it but have a look flights dont need to drop if very mild its a form of cold isnt it

i dont know

anyways ....im out of this one as i dont know

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Yes I get these.

These birds are never fine feathered smaller examples they are always buff feathered.

There was a (mutavi I think) study looking at tailess wonders which saw the top of the list was PBFD (circovirus) NOT FM (polyoma virus), second was pulpitis (infection of the feather pulp).

Looking at it critically, due to the affected birds ALWAYS being buff feathered I would consider pulpitis to be more of a problem than we realise due to large open feather folicles. When we pull feathers we damage folicles, allowing infection to set in.

Here is the link:

http://www.budgerigars.co.uk/diseases/feather.html

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

There is no dry blood on any part of his wings or tail and he still has one tail growing.