• Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

we will just agree to disagree then hay :( as i stated you are right it was made up but for the reason stated above :D

i am not disagreeing with you.

interestingly the term harlequin according to the budgerigar society of pakistan...Refers to a dominant pied ;) i think they got that wrong huh ?

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

The ANBC standard also has a pictorial of the standard for show budgies and a description of the standard of excellence for each variety.

To be honest the length of 240mm is often exceeded with the top show budgies of today. But what Kaz says...... it takes way more than just length and Splats pics are a good indication.

Usually culled show budgies have legrings and more feather than your average backyard budgie but may well not be all that long.

Richo - here is a link to the results page for the ANBC Nationals. There are pics of winners to have a look at - http://www.anbc.iinet.net.au/anbc_show.htm

Edited by nubbly5

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2

Here's some show type budgies in recessive pieds

Daz's http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/index....st&p=225600

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

interestingly the term harlequin according to the budgerigar society of pakistan...Refers to a dominant pied ;) i think they got that wrong huh ?

Long before I was on this forum, I had never heard of the term dominant pied, but I had heard of Harlequin. A harlequin was what I now refer to as a dominant pied.

Long before I was on this forum, I had never heard of the term dominant pied, but I had heard of Harlequin. A harlequin was what I now refer to as a dominant pied.

Harlequin is meant to be recessive pied isnt it.

I always thought of harlequins as being more dominant pieds - not saying I am right, but that is how I originally understood it

Edited by Dave_McMinn

I always thought of harlequins as being more dominant pieds - not saying I am right, but that is how I originally understood it

Nope :)

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

I, for some unknown reason thought harlequins were rainbow recessive pieds I thought I read it some where as When I first started in the hobby I had danish pieds. ;) And I thought I read that harleqiun was pretty colours so as to rainbow.

But I guess I am wrong and I really can't be bothered reading up on them at this moment in time :)

okay just did a quick research and yes I am very wrong check out this site

http://www.budgerigars.co.uk/genetics/peaksp.html

Edited by splat

• Member ID:  4,389
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  1,690

I've always understood the term Harlequin to be one often used by pet breeders of Recessive Pieds to describe the variety. It's almost never used in exhibition circles.

I've always understood the term Harlequin to be one often used by pet breeders of Recessive Pieds to describe the variety. It's almost never used in exhibition circles.

My thoughts exactly :)

Hang on, you are telling me what I thought? Not being rude here, but how would you know what I thought?

Like I said, I always understood dominant pieds to be harlequins, and I believe that pet shops actually sold dominant pieds as harlequins. It was not until about 3 years ago that I had even heard the terms recessive and dominant pied.

As we all know, there is often a lot of misinformation, misunderstanding, and even misconceptions about pieds. Seems this term is just one more of them.

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

a...... gf skyblue danish or receive pied :D

it was begain to be used to easily distinguish between breeders blue based no gf birds and their blue based gf birds of rec pied typeing so you are tecnacally right it was made up fort that reason :)

;) as i said a way pet breeders differentiated between types of rec pied that were gf blue based not green based

show breeders hate the turm

i still use it in my paper work have since i was 12 so..... its what i knew and i still do it

Hang on, you are telling me what I thought? Not being rude here, but how would you know what I thought?

Like I said, I always understood dominant pieds to be harlequins, and I believe that pet shops actually sold dominant pieds as harlequins. It was not until about 3 years ago that I had even heard the terms recessive and dominant pied.

As we all know, there is often a lot of misinformation, misunderstanding, and even misconceptions about pieds. Seems this term is just one more of them.

No, not telling you what you thought...just saying NOPE to them being dom pied. As far as petshops calling dom pieds that..they most likely didnt know the difference between a dom pied and a recessive...so one term one use ;)

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  5,666
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,375
  • Birthday:  23/04/1982

I've been reading John Scoble's "The Complete Book of Budgerigars" (trying to educate myself more) and I've just actually gotten up to Varieties and Colours and it mentions Harlequin ;)

Danish Recessive or Harlequin Pieds - Pied area and body colour is a clear bright shade and on the hen, markings are darker. Blurred markings will often be evident and more pronounced on the wing. Pupil is black, cheeck patches are white, legs and feet are flesh pink, Cere on the cock is flesh coloured and on the hen light to nut brown. That's what he has written, sorry if I'm not able to write that without his permission.. :) ? Please remove if I'm not meant to write this

I know most of you know about colours and names and mutations, but its informative to me and as I just came across it tonight, it seemed appropriate to discuss on here.

GB - He also mentions that colour Laurel too - though I'm not quite sure what depth of green that is :D

I've been reading John Scoble's "The Complete Book of Budgerigars" (trying to educate myself more) and I've just actually gotten up to Varieties and Colours and it mentions Harlequin ;)

Danish Recessive or Harlequin Pieds - Pied area and body colour is a clear bright shade and on the hen, markings are darker. Blurred markings will often be evident and more pronounced on the wing. Pupil is black, cheeck patches are white, legs and feet are flesh pink, Cere on the cock is flesh coloured and on the hen light to nut brown. That's what he has written, sorry if I'm not able to write that without his permission.. :) ? Please remove if I'm not meant to write this

I know most of you know about colours and names and mutations, but its informative to me and as I just came across it tonight, it seemed appropriate to discuss on here.

GB - He also mentions that colour Laurel too - though I'm not quite sure what depth of green that is :D

im not sure i thought it to be light but my memorrie only comes when it wants its so hard for me to retain things and only certain things jolt it so why i often get confussed here but some times things people say jolt my memorory and i remember stuff...weird but ....light green i think dont quote me

• Member ID:  5,074
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  392
  • Achievement Points:  2,415

The ANBC standard also has a pictorial of the standard for show budgies and a description of the standard of excellence for each variety.

To be honest the length of 240mm is often exceeded with the top show budgies of today. But what Kaz says...... it takes way more than just length and Splats pics are a good indication.

Usually culled show budgies have legrings and more feather than your average backyard budgie but may well not be all that long.

Richo - here is a link to the results page for the ANBC Nationals. There are pics of winners to have a look at - http://www.anbc.iinet.net.au/anbc_show.htm

This link is a ripper and I now have it book marked! The photo's are amazing!!! Thanks a lot Nubbly, and every one else for enlightening me. No idea which class will end up my favorite, I love 'em all...

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

interestingly the term harlequin according to the budgerigar society of pakistan...Refers to a dominant pied :) i think they got that wrong huh ?

Well, if the term was used a long time ago, and then became unpopular and used less often, maybe it started being used incorrectly. Therefore confusing it's meaning in the minds of Pakistanis and Pet Store workers. (Never believe pet store workers. Many of them have no idea, and will believe whatever color you tell them it is, especially if you sound like you know what you are talking about. Then they will pass your load of blarney on to the next customer who walks in and asks. ;) )

Note: Not meant to be so harsh on pet store workers. I know there are those out there with knowledge who care. It just seems there a lot to whom it is just a job.

• Member ID:  4,389
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  300
  • Achievement Points:  1,690

GB - He also mentions that colour Laurel too - though I'm not quite sure what depth of green that is :P

Laurel is another name for Dark Green and is possibly more popular in different parts of the country. It is sometimes used here in Sth QLD but I never heard it used in Vic when I lived there. I prefer Dark Green.

Laurel is another name for Dark Green and is possibly more popular in different parts of the country. It is sometimes used here in Sth QLD but I never heard it used in Vic when I lived there. I prefer Dark Green.

thanks mate i wasnt sure what shae green i thought light but now you say dark it makes sense i honestly couldnt remember just that it was used for term of a green bird :P

I am thinking that "Eagle" may have been mistakenly culled and who knows? I might have a "sleeper". This has been on my mind for a while now...

Just wondering Richo......WHY exactly you think he may be a show budgie cull ?

R E A D the topic

I am thinking that "Eagle" may have been mistakenly culled and who knows? I might have a "sleeper". This has been on my mind for a while now...

R E A D the topic

I have....but he does not resemble a show budgie at all, not even a cull.

R E A D the topic

I have....but he does not resemble a show budgie at all, not even a cull.

R E A D the posts, in particular dave's.

Edited by KAZ

I will re read the topic.

What I was trying to ask, and may not have put it all that well was.......

what features were making you think he may have been a show breeding cull. Maybe I have missed something. :D

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948