What Happens To Budgies In Pet Shops If They Are Not Sold?

alpaca-boy

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

Yes GB you sell to pet shop But how many birds do you sell

to them at a time.If you are talking 1or 2 at a time & you have 20

birds to move,you still have 18.Now the pet shop will take young birds,

But old birds,no.My point is the local pet shops will not handle,the amount of birds,

the club culls each quarter,I myself sell my young birds at the chook auction,

$5 to $10 but most in the $5---$6 :lol:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Down here in we have a very small number of places to sell cull budgies. A couple of club breeders supply young stock to our local shop but they have to supply regularly. Prices are reasonable but there is a lot of competition to sell what with club people AND backyarders. I will sell selectively from home but usually to known club people.

Having bred quite a number of registered puppies in my time as well, I can genuinely say that you can make as good a judgement of a prospective home as you like and still get it wrong. Even being as careful as possible choosing homes, we have still had to rescue and rehome one gorgeous hound boy who did nothing wrong other than land in a bad home.

With budgies and pet shops it's only a hope that they are well looked after. It's so far out of our control.

Edited by nubbly5

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

Yes GB you sell to pet shop But how many birds do you sell

to them at a time.If you are talking 1or 2 at a time & you have 20

birds to move,you still have 18.Now the pet shop will take young birds,

But old birds,no.My point is the local pet shops will not handle,the amount of birds,

the club culls each quarter,I myself sell my young birds at the chook auction,

$5 to $10 but most in the $5---$6 :D

i sell about 13 to fifteen at a time macka

not one or two

their would be no point in that

im not a large breeder though either and i do keep around 10 to 15 birds myself and it is these ones that i sell on to anyone whom may just call to get a bird

and if they dont sell then the pet shop next time i move birds on

our pet shop just took 60 birds from one man all violets so

i guess im lucky his birds sell fast and he can exept a good amount not just one or two as for old birds he will take up to 2 years 3 year olds anything older id just give him anyway but really any birds that i dont want or cant sell i just give to my unkle who also breeds and sells birds

sometimes i just give him them anyway

Edited by GenericBlue

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Macka, maybe you need to move to an area where they pay more for your culls at the local petshop than you are getting now.....or maybe your middle man gets more and you are being led up the garden path :P Seems to me you are being rippppppppped off :D:D

Either you are being hoodwinked or they figure you wont try for a better deal. Sometimes the culls we produce are seen by some breeders as a non valuable by product of breeding budgies and therefore they take the going rate or even less. Others know the value of the birds and wont accept too low a price knowing it can be sold for twice that or more by advertising them or selling elsewhere.

I recall an owner of a popular chain of pet supply stores once offering me $5 each for my birds as if it was a great deal.......like they were doing me a huge favour. I laughed and saidf I could get foru times that by advertising them myself.

Also we have to opportunity to sell our birds at each monthly Budgie Club meetings and offer the club a 10% donation. It helps newbies and novices, and any people off the street who wander in for a look wanting to buy a budgie or two. Most of these culls sell at meetings for $20-$50 each depending on what it is.

We have never seen a bird of yours posted on here EVER..........have you ever thought to try and sell them on here ? I am sure you would get more than you are getting now. B)

Edited by KAZ

Iam talking culls,these are birds,no breeder, wants.

We run 3 sales a year at the Sunday Market,well

I should say our club rooms are on the Show grounds

were the Sunday Market is so we have a good pass trade & the birds

are on display & 2 to a cage, & they can't be over 12months & the minimum

price is $15 up to $25 & I would say the sale before Christmas,witch is the

best sale & there would be 40birds on show. The pretty one sell like hot cakes,

up to$20 & the rest go to the bird man on the Monday night & they are the

greens greys & the ones that are $25.

PS Is there any other show breeders on here & how do they sell there

culls(rubbish)Iam not talking birds that can be used for breeding.

That sale you do sounds like a good thing :wub:

macka when you say their culls /rubbish nothing you could breed

what the *** does that mean.....

no bird can be rubbish

just as its not as good as the others or its heads small mask short does not mean it can not be used for someone else in their stock it may have a good length or a nice posture perfect spangling ectra

even if its small under sized it can be some ones treasure and your trash

unless your birds are rubbish as they dont breed or pluck or are ill and your just getting rid of **** that way rather than deposing of them in another manor

their are heaps of people on here that buy for pet breeding your crud could be their perfect bird for their pet breeding's

im sorry but i dont understand your thinking unless the birds are unbreedable at all they are useful to someone as you say they go for 20 to 25 dollors at the show grounds so why not sell them all for that price

as kaz said i have never seen you try sell birds

you dont need to let people into your home mate to sell them and all birds i have ever put up here have always sold quickly

try it mate ....or dont lol :wub: nothing wrong with your way you just could profit more for your efforts and put it back into you other birds

i breed pet and show and i love getting the smaller more proportioned show culls for my pet line as the are just beautiful

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

Mine used to go to the Retirement Village, that is no more now and most of my breeder flock is very young (oldest cock birds are gold rungers, ie 2006 birds). The 'older' hens I will keep this year as foster mums.

I currently have one cock bird (a recent gift) who is a dud and when the time comes and I am feeling resolute I will send him to God ... that is unless some one wants a deformed pet? :wub:

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

no bird can be rubbish

This brings to mind what other people have said about breeding to what's behind the individual bird. If your birds are any good at all, Macka, then their brothers and sisters that you don't wish to show would still have all the same good bloodline behind them. Just food for thought.

no bird can be rubbish

This brings to mind what other people have said about breeding to what's behind the individual bird. If your birds are any good at all, Macka, then their brothers and sisters that you don't wish to show would still have all the same good bloodline behind them. Just food for thought.

this is what im meaning finne if he has high standard birds then if the right high standard cock or hen placed with mackas apparent rubbish could indeed breed the next deplorma bird

or at least a nice stock hen for someone else to work their stud up with

after all its about the challange

macka your the one always going one about how its easy to breed bloodlines from paper work

im sure you have beautiful birds or you would not be putting them in shows

unlike me who is still striving to breed a few good birds for myself as so i can breed more good birds and aventually put some my own line of birds on the shelf

how bad can your culls be macka ...honestly what are we talking here now you have me interested :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by GenericBlue

Yeah, Macka. Pictures, we want pictures!! :rofl:

I get where you are coming from Macka. Some people over here have been lucky enough to have cornered the market at the local pet shops (and I'm talking local local - not Perth) but as I said, they HAVE to supply regularly. In my opinion if you HAVE to supply and you can't then you either take out breeding stock or you lose your market.

For me that makes it hard. I'm not here to breed birds for petshops and to do that means using facilities that would otherwise go into breeding what I am interested in breeding - show birds so why would I do that. I have older birds that I've had no success with breeding from them - I would not even DREAM of selling those on to anyone who wants to breed from them and who wants old aviary birds often in greys and grey greens - no-one. I DO have a few people waiting for just weaned babies for pets because I have provided some previously and they have become beloved, very tame pets and the word got around a bit but trying to decide what baby is suitable for hand taming but is not all that useful in my breeding program is a drag. Luckily now I am also in a better position with my stud generally to be able to sell lesser birds that would still benefit someone else's breeding program but the real rubbish (especially in colours backyardies don't want) ....... well - you are lucky that you can sell them is all I can say! And GB in my definition of what my stud is and also the usefulness of that bird to someone else's program - some birds are definitely rubbish the trouble is that they are often not the pretty colours that non-show breeders invariably want!

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

I am with Macka here, even in my area our pet shops only pay $8.00 and they charge $20.00 and in another town she only pays $5.00 and charges $20.00. This is culls only that are no good for anything. and they need to be pretty colours and young birds not old.

I take the my older birds to our local auction also, like Macka but I haven't done this for a long time because the last time I did I took good birds and I mean good birds and only got $2.00 a bird then I had to give the people who were running it 18% so what a ripp off.

But I now have enough people around town that want my culls and I have sold here too and sometimes they go to the pet shop.

I get where you are coming from Macka. Some people over here have been lucky enough to have cornered the market at the local pet shops (and I'm talking local local - not Perth) but as I said, they HAVE to supply regularly. In my opinion if you HAVE to supply and you can't then you either take out breeding stock or you lose your market.

For me that makes it hard. I'm not here to breed birds for petshops and to do that means using facilities that would otherwise go into breeding what I am interested in breeding - show birds so why would I do that. I have older birds that I've had no success with breeding from them - I would not even DREAM of selling those on to anyone who wants to breed from them and who wants old aviary birds often in greys and grey greens - no-one. I DO have a few people waiting for just weaned babies for pets because I have provided some previously and they have become beloved, very tame pets and the word got around a bit but trying to decide what baby is suitable for hand taming but is not all that useful in my breeding program is a drag. Luckily now I am also in a better position with my stud generally to be able to sell lesser birds that would still benefit someone else's breeding program but the real rubbish (especially in colours backyardies don't want) ....... well - you are lucky that you can sell them is all I can say! And GB in my definition of what my stud is and also the usefulness of that bird to someone else's program - some birds are definitely rubbish the trouble is that they are often not the pretty colours that non-show breeders invariably want!

okay so i understand where your comming from nubbly but you sell lesser culls to breeders whom may beable to bennifit and their is no such thing as an unuseful colour in show stock as its not a colour related thing untill you get breeding for quiet some time

yes no pet breeder wants grey greens i give you and macka both that

but show breeders want certain qualitys and traits not colour sceam so...i understand that any good breeder would not sell their apsalute really unusable birds as in 5 year old hens ectra internal layers ,bad pluckers list goes on

myself i sadley but inedivbaly send thoughs guys to heaven as does ren unless i can find a free to good home

i started my next door person with a small flock they take my unbreadebal but young birds provided they are healthy other wize for free

i even give them seed as they dont breed them they are for looks only

i also treat their birds for worms and such its kind of a extention to my own flock but i dont need to care for them just the 3 month wormmer ivomectom ectra

i know we cant all do things like that and like you said their is some birds that just cant go anywhere

their the ones that i have to send to god :( but that is not many birds mackas talking 400 birds per cull

they cant all be **** usless birds nubbly not the whole lot of them

im not wanting pics i know macka has good birds

i just dont understand what he calls rubbish thats all i want to know

no breeders or just lesser breed birds thats all i want to know i guess its none of my buissness really i just found it hard to belive with the birds he has that all his culls were **** . :angry:

I get where you are coming from too GB but I guess there are just some show bred birds that don't really fit anywhere. Some like cinnamon grey green split BES are a prime example - grey is not wanted in show BES, they are generally small compared to other show stock AND they are cinnamon grey green, even the people I have lined up waiting for a hand tamable baby don't want these guys - neither do I unfortunately so they become some of the ones I class as rubbish as with the ones you just don't want to admit having bred - which do pop out here and there.

And splat I know where you are coming from. I took 7 birds to our clubs last written auction, 5 or 6 of which were very young '09 hens of good breeding. Only one attracted a bid - one of the better ones admittedly. This I found really surprising as most of these girls would have grown on and were from good breeding (my lacewings predominantly) AND people always go on about not being ale to get good young stock hens. We ended up paying $5 for every passed in bird so guess who is not going to be offering reasonable stock hens in this manner again (not that i really mind supporting the club either to be honest BUT....) and too bad if anyone comes whinging to me in the future that they can't get reasonable hens.

Anyway, I'm sure macka has a range of culls, some of which will be useful to other breeders and some that just are not (for whatever reason). He is a lucky fellow to be able to sell them at all in my opinion. Maybe his idea of rubbish is similar to mine?..................

Edited by nubbly5

The rubbish of some breeders would be treasure to others I am sure if they at least got a chance to look at them. Yeah we all have the odd one or two we know doesnt fit into any category and we deem unsaleable. However, a lot of what breeders call an unsaleable bird often looks pretty good to a newbie. Most pet breeders of course, though go for colour birds...something we dont cull all that often. Some top breeders cut the rings off and send them to petshops interstate for goodness sake......we dont even get a look in. Top breeders who spout off about successful breeding seasons and great numbers being bred, not so many percentage-wise being retained, and very few offered at local auctions. Then we hear of a BBC member eastern states who asks about a legring code to find out our top breeder from W.A. sends them over there to petshops and then when asked denies all knowledge of them :angry: I guess some breeders do these things to protect their bloodline...to disperse them other places so the local novices cant find them in local petshops. Oh well .......whatever :D:( I am only glad some of our top breeders ( of which I would class Nubbly in that category ) still offers her culls for sale here, and at our auctions.

Only one attracted a bid - one of the better ones admittedly.
Thanks Nubbly....she's a little beauty :)
We ended up paying $5 for every passed in bird so guess who is not going to be offering reasonable stock hens in this manner again (not that i really mind supporting the club either to be honest BUT....) and too bad if anyone comes whinging to me in the future that they can't get reasonable hens.
I wasnt too happy about that either............wont encourage others to be offering birds next auction, will it ?

• Member ID:  4,792
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  820
  • Birthday:  05/10/1972

I wish there were some of you guys here in Wagga! Have to rely on pet shop as no breeders around that I know of, apart from one not too far away that has show types, but as far as pet types go, it's pet shop or nothing!

The rubbish of some breeders would be treasure to others I am sure if they at least got a chance to look at them. Yeah we all have the odd one or two we know doesnt fit into any category and we deem unsaleable. However, a lot of what breeders call an unsaleable bird often looks pretty good to a newbie. Most pet breeders of course, though go for colour birds...something we dont cull all that often. Some top breeders cut the rings off and send them to petshops interstate for goodness sake......we dont even get a look in. Top breeders who spout off about successful breeding seasons and great numbers being bred, not so many percentage-wise being retained, and very few offered at local auctions. Then we hear of a BBC member eastern states who asks about a legring code to find out our top breeder from W.A. sends them over there to petshops and then when asked denies all knowledge of them :( I guess some breeders do these things to protect their bloodline...to disperse them other places so the local novices cant find them in local petshops. Oh well .......whatever :D:D I am only glad some of our top breeders ( of which I would class Nubbly in that category ) still offers her culls for sale here, and at our auctions.
Only one attracted a bid - one of the better ones admittedly.
Thanks Nubbly....she's a little beauty ;)
We ended up paying $5 for every passed in bird so guess who is not going to be offering reasonable stock hens in this manner again (not that i really mind supporting the club either to be honest BUT....) and too bad if anyone comes whinging to me in the future that they can't get reasonable hens.
I wasnt too happy about that either............wont encourage others to be offering birds next auction, will it ?

well some the pet shops cut the rings off birds to to sell ld culls its a dodgie world out their

when it comes to birds

show birds especially

as for birds from the bes cinnamon grey greens i would happliy buy some nubbly

for my pets all you need to do is split it all to blue

all to blue bluBLUEe blue split to blue my darlins :D

just takes longer to get what you want but patients is what good birds and nice colours are about

as for your stock hens not atracting any bids a lacewing being amongst them

any lacewing is a good lacewing as their so hard to grab hold off you just have to breed your own from others undersized or not up to standed ones

you have m,y number and my interest

i agree with kaz you nubbly 5 are a great show breeder and your culls have done me good so far and i look forward to more in future of certain variatys so any others you may have that fit no where or you dont want to admit

:rofl: admit them to me

you may be saprized :angry::D im in the shop for small even badly marked clear wings for my pet line B) to name one mutation and as i said a grey green cinnamon / to bes well jackpot for me as a pet breeder :)

for my show i agree :) but pets anything goes :D

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

I anticipate that the $5 fee for unsold birds will not be repeated next year ... :angry:

• Member ID:  5,074
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,415

I wish there were some of you guys here in Wagga! Have to rely on pet shop as no breeders around that I know of, apart from one not too far away that has show types, but as far as pet types go, it's pet shop or nothing!

Hi pebbiz72,

from what I have witnessed here, breeders are only too willing to send birds by freight, it is quite common so perhaps look into that? Keep your eyes open and you will have a crack'in stud in no time. Cheers

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

Hi pebbiz72,

from what I have witnessed here, breeders are only too willing to send birds by freight, it is quite common so perhaps look into that? Keep your eyes open and you will have a crack'in stud in no time. Cheers

If you buy one it is not worth it, unless it is a really good bird, but you can buy a few at one time and have them shipped to you. It does nto cost that much. From Sydney to Perth only costs about $60

blue [/size]bluBLUEe blue split to blue my darlins B)

GB, this made me laugh- I love it! :hi:

For mine, which are pets, that's my plan, too, cuz I don't want to lose track of which greens are split or not split. I want them all to be split :)

I anticipate that the $5 fee for unsold birds will not be repeated next year ... ;)

I would be surprised if it wasn't repeated Renee. When it comes down to it a club has to run functions at least at break even. Without bird entries to cover the cost, the cost has to be recovered comehow whether people sell birds or not. What I anticipate is either NO written auction or far fewer birds. Way too many birds was the issue. We initially had 40-50 birds lined up and then suddenly that was not going to be enough so everyone was asked if they would like to put in more. The more ended up being about double that - too many and too many elderly offerings.

Also the fee tends to keep some people from putting in complete rubbish so it keeps sellers honest and helps buyers get a better selection. Just like the minimum reserve at normal auctions, you still pay 10% or $5 if the bird is passed in........ makes you think a bit more about what you are going to offer for sale (or it should!!!!!). Personally I would never pay even $50 for 4-5 year old bird no matter how good it looked as the chances are it's not going to breed for you - especially when you consider the change in environment that it has to adapt too. Some birds take 12 months to get over that and breed happily and with an old bird you just can't afford to give it 12 months to settle. Nor would I put in anything I did not consider was worth paying $50 for - myself. If I think a bird is worth that, THEN I put it in.

The removal of the $5 fee is a big backwards step for buyers AND the club.

• Member ID:  5,473
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  170
  • Birthday:  23/04/1971

I agree with you nubbly I have a rule not to put in birds over 3yrs old I to was a bit disapointed with the auction even though I got some reasonable money for three of mine I do reacon if they were in a normal auction most of us would have polled better I think the amount of birds do need to be reduced to maybe 2 or 3 each it will make it more competitive

Gee Iam glad someone come on here & stated what happens in the real

world, with culled birds,You talk about other breeder buying these lesses birds(culls pets) there is up to

15( people)breeders will look these birds over & if they pull 1or2 out & take them home,that would be

the limit,mind you there are birds in the there that look okay.But they don't lay, fill eggs,on the pension

or some other defect.The local pet shops will only take so many & the worst part about it is,its usely

the back yard breeder,that have the contract with the pet shop,to supply birds to them,You hit the nail on the head

GB,The bloke selling his violets,because they are the pretty birds & that is why the bird dealer will pay upto $6.50

for the coloured birds.Anyway I have now had a couple of show breeders come on here & state that its not that easy

to sell the cull birds,I can rest easy,it just took a little while, to get the point across.Any way I think I took this subject off topic & that was, what do pet shops do with birds that don;t sell.They vanish into the blue yonder. ;)