2 males 1 female

Guest budgie_boy

Guest budgie_boy

i have resently found that my female was a male and im going to get him a hen. What i want to know is is it alright to have 2 males with 1 female, will this increase the chances of breeding, put them all of the idea or what can you please inform me thank you (p.s. i think this site is great it has solved so many of my problems and hopefully when i am older and more wiser i will be able to solve other peoples) :)

Guest budgeover

i think so. You may get a bit of fighting though. But i think you would get more fighting if you had two females and one male.

Do you intend breeding?

i dont know about breeding budgies but the normal rule is if you have 3 animals. the ratio should be 1 male 3 females. because the males will fight over the female. like i said this isnt budgie specific somebody else may be able to confirm this or not.

ATD

Guest budgeover

hope you are going to do lots of reaearch budgie-boy!! :) i personally would hate to go into breeding and have the responsibilty of finding homes for the chicks produced.

Guest budgie_boy

im going to build an averie after they breed, its just my mum wont let me at the moment because she doesnt really want to buy more for a while

Guest graemesmith

Well I guess it is important to get Mum on your side otherwise you may have problems getting help to place the extra birds or with more cages.

1 male to 3 females is about correct. If only so there is some choicer. Just like humans - we don't automatically like the other person because they are the other sex!

• Member ID:  860
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

I wouldn't recommend having more girls than boys because it's actually the girls who fight over the guys. The guys are more than happy to share the goods! :(Laughing out loud): I think you're sposed to have 2 males for every female.

Guest cooper

Our 3 birds are 2 male and 1 female, they all live together in the same cage and there is the ocasional bickering over carrots and things like that but nothing serious.

• Member ID:  984
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  3,475
  • Birthday:  01/04/1967

I agree with more males than females your hens will fight more over nests and things.

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

I wouldn't recommend having more girls than boys because it's actually the girls who fight over the guys. The guys are more than happy to share the goods! ;) I think you're sposed to have 2 males for every female.

:o:o:) :fear :o:o 2 males for every female??? I need 8 more males??? ***Rainbow faints***

so do you think that this will increase the chances of breeding or what

It is best to start out with one pair per cage, so if you have 2 males and one female right now, as soon as the hen shows a preference for one of the males, the other male should be moved. Please do a lot of research before you decide to breed, and make sure the birds are well over a year old before you breed them. There is a lot of information on this site in older threads, so please make liberal use of the search function. :) If you have any questions you can't find the answer to, please post them and someone should be able to help.

:(Laughing out loud): Don't worry Rainbow. I read that when i was trying to find out about colony breeding! :(Laughing out loud):

Guest budgie_boy

good news everybody my male has come into condition along with my female he is extremily excited all the time and she is nawing everything, last night i saw him feed her a couple of times and this morning they look to be doing it again do you think i will get any eggs and how long do you think it will be? thanks for all the help

Guest Nasal_Tufts

It's best to keep even numbers. Although you can still have some fighting. I had two pair to a cage and the third pair in their own cage and the two males who are brothers I think and had been in the same cage a long time before the females came along started fighting and it was nothing serious, just knocking each other off the perches and stuff like that. Then one morning I woke up and one of my males had been bitten above the cere and the blood had stoped thankfully. So I took him out and got him and his hen their own cage and they now have a clutch of 6 eggs.

So I think you should take the one male out who's the odd man out and get him in a cage of his own and get him his own hen and their own nest box.

Also about the preening each otehr and feeding each other I had this going on for over 3 months before my first pair laid eggs. They were together over 6 months before my first pair started laying eggs and I think I'm going to get eggs out of my other pair soon because they are going in the box more ofen. I wish my third pair would start preening or feeding each other. I'm thinking about getting another female for the male and keeping the one he's in with now in her own cage.

Guest Andy

i thought the general rule was double the amount of males as females because its females that fight more than males, also 3 times more nestboxes than there are females so they wont fight over nestboxes either.

That's a lot of nest boxes! :) I think they would still all pick one to fight over! :P

Guest budgie_boy

my two males arnt fighting if anything its the opposite they are always grooming each other and sometimes feed each other (i dont no wheather thats bad or good)

That's normal male bonding behavior. It looks gay but it is just being friendly!

Guest budgie_boy

i was a little worried for a while do you think i should get him a female and if so do you think the two pairs will be okay in the same cage

I expect so. :lol:

Guest Nasal_Tufts

Like I said I had two pair in the same cage and the males still fought and one ended up bleeding so it would be best to get him into his own cage with his own mate.