female attacking male

Guest budgie_lover

Guest budgie_lover

i have already posted before and i had solved my problem. they were getting along fine and even kissing but now over he past few days she has started attacking him. Why is she doin this and what can i do to stop it.

• Member ID:  198
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

She probably does not want his attentions. Hen budgies are very fickle as to when they will put up with the males. :bluebudgie: If you are worried there will be bloodshed or injuries, the only way to stop it is to seperate them to different cages.

Guest graemesmith
Why is she doin this and what can i do to stop it

Simplisticly -

She doesn't like him

Take him out the cage.

It never ceases to amaze me that there is an implied assumption that a male and female bird WILL get along because we put them in a cage together.

Just like with humans - putting a single female and single male in an apartment together does NOT mean they will like each other never mind get up to anything else! ;-)

In the wild budgies flock in the thousands (well they used to till we decimated them by collecting them). They compete for food, best nests and companions. They fight, get along okay or love each other depending on environment, weather, time of day, availability of adequate food and water and choice of mate.

So it is unrealistic to expect every artificial pairing WE create to "work". The birds have no choices. Now I understand that when you have two birds, one cage and little in the way of options it is tough. Those of us with bigger cages in which territories can be found, with aviaries where birds can be swapped out with others till there is a semblance of peace actually have it a bit easier. Here are some things you can TRY. But remember at the end of the day - it might NOT work and you might need to get one adopted.

- Make sure there is adequate food and water - possibly in TWO locations in the cage to avoid fights for food. Mine are very peaceful till I put in the daily small millet ration. Then all gloves come off till everyone has had their share.

- Move the cage to another more interesting location where the scenery engages the birds more and so they have less reason to annoy each other.

- Put a third bird in the cage (but only if you have space) - can change the interactions and dynamics completely. It can also NOT WORK.

- Mirror in cage to make birds think there are others there and so again change the dynamic (they figure it out eventually but it can break the cycle).

- Change the layout of the cage furniture. Make it such that there are two high up perches with the same height (equal superiority) but on opposite sides of the cage with equal access to other resources. I change my layout around every 6 weeks or so just to keep them on their toes and stimulated. This is pretty close to what happens in the wild when the flock moves to a new territory after stripping the current one bare.

- Observe them roosting in the dark. Usually all fights are off at night while the birds gather together for mutual protection and warmth. If they do NOT get on during roosting - you really DO have a problem.

And ultimately be prepared to find another home for one of them- which might mean giving it away or getting another cage.

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

A little more in depth answer than mine, thanks graemesmith. :bluebudgie:

Simplisticly -

She doesn't like him

Take him out the cage.

Although she may like him, just not at that moment.

Some bickering is normal, as hens are at the top of the pecking order in budgieworld. But if she begins to chase him to attack him and it is more than just a simple hack, then yes, she may just not like him.

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

You could if you think it will help. :)

• Member ID:  984
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  3,475
  • Birthday:  01/04/1967

i also have an other female who seems to get along sort of better with him shoud i swap the two females

Hi there, yes I think that would be a great idea or just take the male out and put him with her.

Good luck

Guest ferozar01

everyone here just helped me too, Thank you. I had/have the same problem. I came home the other day and there were the biggest pile of feathers all over the cage and the floor. Almost all the feathers were the males and he has bald spots on 3 different places on his body. I have to take him to the vet today because she got his eye too and its swollen. Their babies are 3 weeks old, and he feeds him more than she does so I've left together for the time being, but there is still some arguing, but not as bad as that fight must have been. Good luck with your arguing couple, keep me posted as tyo whether or not you seperate them

k