Plz Help! Hen With Lump In Front Of Her Vent Area!

• Member ID:  5,453
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  590
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  22/11/1984

Just this afternoon I have noticed that my Albino hen has a massive soft lump in front of her vent area, and no its not just swelling from laying eggs ( she is currently on 3 eggs, 4th due tomorrow), the lump is a little smaller that the area of a 20 cent piece, it is soft to touch. Also areas of the lump are a light purple color almost like bruising.Could it be a tumor of some kind?

• Member ID:  4,745
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  618
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,920
  • Birthday:  06/11/1994

i am real sorry i dont know abouut this but maybie a photo showing us what you mean? is it getting worse? how long has it been their? it might be a really good idea to seperate from other birds just incase its infectious . and if no one can help you here TAKE IT TO A VET ASAP PLEASE xx hope all goes well

i am real sorry i dont know abouut this but maybie a photo showing us what you mean? is it getting worse? how long has it been their? it might be a really good idea to seperate from other birds just incase its infectious . and if no one can help you here TAKE IT TO A VET ASAP PLEASE xx hope all goes well

Well I have only just noticed it there yesterday, and I haven't noticed it there before. She is already separated as she is on eggs in a breeding cage :). It doesn't seem to have gotten worse and over all she is a very healthy bird. I could take a photo but not sure you could see much from it as she is a pretty feathery bird, she is due to lay her 4th egg today so I dont wanna upset her. I will try get picture soon :) The reason I say it may be a tumor is because my mum has her sister and she found a tumor in the same spot not long ago on her :D

i honestly wouldnt risk breeding with a bird in such condition you said she is isolated as she is breeding but doesnt that mean their is a cock in there too? if there is a cock in there let him raise the eggs\chicks you dont want this to be infectious trust me ! xx PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TAKE NOTICE AND ICOLATE HER after all would you want the dad and the chicks getting this IF it was infectious okay sorry i didnt read the tumor bit but if that is the case she shouldnt be breeding in such condition so i still stand with what i said isolate her

Edited by LILBABYBUDGIES

okay so I went out and she had layed her 4th egg so I caught her very quickly and took a photo, not sure you will see much from it, but I have noticed it isnt really a lump it feels just like swelling but it is way too big for just egg swelling, I would think anyway :D

DSCF7220.jpg

oh my :D not egg swelling i dont think either ... okay lets say it was a tumer can you take her to a vet ? or if an egg had broken inside her it wouldnt look like that mm keep her seperate until you decide what your choices are for her as i do have a feeling and YES I MAY BE WRONG that it is a tumer.

i honestly wouldnt risk breeding with a bird in such condition you said she is isolated as she is breeding but doesnt that mean their is a cock in there too? if there is a cock in there let him raise the eggs\chicks you dont want this to be infectious trust me ! xx PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TAKE NOTICE AND ICOLATE HER after all would you want the dad and the chicks getting this IF it was infectious okay sorry i didnt read the tumor bit but if that is the case she shouldnt be breeding in such condition so i still stand with what i said isolate her

I did say I only noticed this yesterday, I did check her over before breeding her and there was no sign of it then. I have posted a photo now so hopefully someone has some idea of what it may be or whats causing it.

im really sorry i am no help to you but i hope all is well

I am also guessing that because of the swelling her vent area would not have been easily accessed by the cock, so chances are her eggs or at least some of her eggs may be infertile, guess I will just have to wait a few days then candle them.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

She seems to have an issue possibly with her oviduct that only an avian vet could diagnose.

She seems to have an issue possibly with her oviduct that only an avian vet could diagnose.

okay, so I live out in the middle of no where and I am pretty sure our closest avian vet is 2 hours away....I went and sore my vet who happens to live up the road and she said the same thing either tumor or some problem with oviduct she said she should be okay to stay in with the cock as she doesnt seem to think it is a disease. So what to do what to do???? :D

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

okay, so I live out in the middle of no where and I am pretty sure our closest avian vet is 2 hours away....I went and sore my vet who happens to live up the road and she said the same thing either tumor or some problem with oviduct she said she should be okay to stay in with the cock as she doesnt seem to think it is a disease. So what to do what to do???? :D

Take her out of the breeding cage and away from the cock to rest her. She may have ruptured something internally.

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

Because she has been laying and the swelling appeared from one day to another I think it's very likely that she has an inflamation of the oviduct.

I would ask your vet from up the road for an anti-inflamatory drug, perhaps Baytril?

I wouldn't just leave her with the cock bird, I would foster the eggs if possible and place her into a nice, warm cage on her own.

Try PMing Chrymosome or Hamish as they are Vet students.

Best of luck! :)

Edited by renee

Because she has been laying and the swelling appeared from one day to another I think it's very likely that she has an inflamation of the oviduct.

I would ask your vet from up the road for an anti-inflamatory drug, perhaps Baytril?

I wouldn't just leave her with the cock bird, I would foster the eggs if possible and place her into a nice, warm cage on her own.

Try PMing Chrymosome or Hamish as they are Vet students.

Best of luck! :)

Thanks Renee, will do!! :)

• Member ID:  2,476
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  607
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  4,290
  • Birthday:  28/02/1987

Quick reply as extremely busy at work. I can't tell very well from the photo but if you describe that she was normal the past few days, it sounds very much like a form of abdominal hernia. This happens when hens have been in breeding condition for a long time causing weakness of the abdominal muscles. When they strain for some reason the line holding the stomach together splits as bit, allowing her insides to sag and sometimes they might go under the skin. It can be fatal if intestine becomes trapped, or they can have it for a long time if it is just fat that goes out of the hole.

I'm sorry I can't tell from photos or even words. It could also be something ruptured inside, or a broken egg, or swelling of an organ. I would take her out of breeding immediately and foster any eggs. Is she pooping okay? Any other sign of sickness?

Quick reply as extremely busy at work. I can't tell very well from the photo but if you describe that she was normal the past few days, it sounds very much like a form of abdominal hernia. This happens when hens have been in breeding condition for a long time causing weakness of the abdominal muscles. When they strain for some reason the line holding the stomach together splits as bit, allowing her insides to sag and sometimes they might go under the skin. It can be fatal if intestine becomes trapped, or they can have it for a long time if it is just fat that goes out of the hole.

I'm sorry I can't tell from photos or even words. It could also be something ruptured inside, or a broken egg, or swelling of an organ. I would take her out of breeding immediately and foster any eggs. Is she pooping okay? Any other sign of sickness?

Apart from the swelling she seems very normal and healthy, I have separated her away from the male and fostered the eggs to my blue spangle hen who is sitting on 2 eggs of her own, although just with a glance at the eggs they all seem clear so I am thinking that they are infertile I will candle them soon and know for sure. I will just keep an eye on her over the next few days and see what happens. She seems to be pooping fine, as she is sitting on eggs she only comes out mostly in the morning and lays a big poo.

Edited by tonilee
  • 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Apart from the swelling she seems very normal and healthy, I have separated her away from the male and fostered the eggs to my blue spangle hen who is sitting on 2 eggs of her own, although just with a glance at the eggs they all seem clear so I am thinking that they are infertile I will candle them soon and know for sure. I will just keep an eye on her over the next few days and see what happens. She seems to be pooping fine, as she is sitting on eggs she only comes out mostly in the morning and lays a big poo.

Hi Tonilee, don't know if this is much help,BUT . I had one hen who laid six eggs and looked as if she was going on to lay more. I watched and waited etc. no more eggs but she still looked egg bummy to me. She stayed that way for nearly three weeks or so,nearly until chicks fledged. Now she looks back to normal and is back in aviary as I didn't let mine have a second round. If yours has laid her 4th egg o.k with no problems, maybe she just has weak "pelvic floor" muscles if birds have them. If she's well otherwise maybe "time will tell" as they say. Good luck hope, your eggs are fertile.