• Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  730
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/06/1982

I posted a topic last week I think about my new budgie sneezing a lot. Then the weather warmed up, the heat went down & he stopped, so I figured his nasal passages were just really dry or something.

But, he's had 3 sneezing fits today...and I mean sneezing 8 times or so in a row, but the sneezes are entirely dry. During these fits, he'll do this (sorry this will be a poor explanation) head...jerking kind of motion? It makes me thinks he has something in his throat or like he's trying to regurgitate his food to feed someone. I haven't seen him drink today, but he's been eating & playing perfectly fine, and his droppings are normal too so I don't know what else to make of it.

Maybe I'm just over-reacting :) but it's still a little concerning....

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Guest Julie

I'm just wondering if he is getting something stuck every so often? A husk maybe? Or have you sprayed or used anything different around him at these times?

Julie

• Member ID:  198
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

If he is doing it during or after feeding, he may just have a husk or seed dust in his nose that he's sneezing out. Especially if eating millet spray - mine inhale it like there's no tomorrow and I know the husks are small enough to be breathed in and it will make mine sneeze. :P

• Member ID:  2,155
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  1,162
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  7,840

Your budgie sounds just like ME!! !(Laughing out loud). Seriously, I have probably one of the weirdest sneezes. If I feel something tickling me nose, I'll go into the a sneezing fit. The longest fit I had was 15 sneezes in a row!! (Laughing out loud). All my friends think that I'm weird!!

Both my budgies do that too. They'll sneeze a lot at one go, but I don't think there's anything wrong, then again I guess I'm like that so I don't think that it's that unusual!! :D I wouldn't worry about it too much coz all the budgies I've had had done that at some point of their life with me. I agree with what other people say, may be it's a husk stuck in there or something!! :P

Good luck with it.

Cheeta

• Member ID:  868

Thanks for the replies, he's only done it once today...it wasn't specifically after eating, but the part about the husks is a good one. I noticed when I brought my other budgies home that they didn't learn right away to drop the husks *outside* of their food dish, and it seems to be the same with him, so there are always lots of husks in the food dish instead of on the bottom of the cage (gotta admit though, makes for less cleaning! (Laughing out loud)). Has anyone else noticed this about young budgies?? Also, the replies helped put me a bit more at ease, because as of this weekend he'll officially have been quarantined for a month so I wanted to start giving Galen & Jack "real" time to get to know each other!

Guest eterri

Most budgies leave husks in their food dish when they eat. All of mine do. My parrot is the only bird I have that hulls his seeds away from the dish each time he grabs a seed.

As far as the sneezing "fits" it might be a good idea to get him checked out by an avian vet before introducing him to the other birds just in case it's something more serious. Better safe than sorry! I've heard budgie sneezes but I've never heard of a budgie having sneezing fits. (Not to say it doesn't happen or isn't normal, but anything that you find iffy should be checked out. They're so fragile!)

• Member ID:  868

devvle - i have thought about taking him to an avian vet & if i have to i will. the only problem is that there isn't one in my city, and i don't have a car. but if it continues then he's definitely worth it. i decided i'd wait an extra few days longer before introducing them just to be safe & if it seems to stop then i'll consider it. they really did come out of nowhere!

julie - i don't really think he's mimicking me, mostly because i haven't been sneezing lately. makes me almost wish i was! (Laughing out loud)