• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  85
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I am so sad, I came home from work to find one of my budgies "Charlie" on the bottom of the cage, she looked at me with such pain - I picked her up and wrapped her in a tea towel and immediately rang the bird vet to be greeted with a message that they are closed and if it is an emergency to contact the emergency animal hospital. I did this only to be told that they do not handle birds and to contact the number that I first called. I told them they were closed and the message said to call this number. She apologised and suggested I contact them first thing in the morning. Needless to say, my poor angel died within the next hour.

I am heartbroken, I don't know what was wrong with her, I couldn't get any help and the thought that she suffered for goodness knows how long tears me apart.

She was looking a little fluffed the day before, but I put this down to the cold weather (stupid me). I have 3 birds left and I fear that my lack of knowledge will endanger them too.

The male partner of little Charlie looks as devastaded as I do. Sigh.

• Member ID:  5,207
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  617
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,480

I am really sorry to learn of your loss. It it harder when you have to watch the bird's mate grieve. :blink:

• Member ID:  4,373
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  85

I would like to know what i did wrong - I feel that I have wasted a very precious life

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

This happened to me with Pretty, in the AM he was fine by PM he was gone. If you are keeping the cage clean, food and water fresh, keeping them warm and out of draft in the end things like the above that happen truly are not your fault especially if your other one is okay. I ended up taking Merlin to the vet my remaining budgie to make sure is was okay and he was.

Don't blame yourself there is nothing you probably could have done, budgies get sick and don't show signs of it until the end, and even if you got your budgie to the vet he may have still passed on. We did get Pretty to the vet and he still died.

Big hugs.

Post an RIP in our Loss Section, tell us about your little one, we all understand here.