• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,475
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  14,280
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  21/04/1991

Hi.

I know Apple Cidar vinegar is a good internal cleaner for birds and I know raspberry cordial is the same.

I also know chamomile tea is good for respiratory infections,

Are their any other good natural remedies for disease?

Is their anything natural I can use for worming?

thankyou.

Edited by Pearce

• Member ID:  4,902
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  5,070
  • Birthday:  27/10/1957

Milk Thistle leaves is a staple for my birds. It is a good liver tonic not only for birds but for humans as well. I grow it all over the yard.

• Member ID:  4,449
  • Topic Count:  123

I had some but accidently sprayed it with roundup :rolleyes:

I will have to get a hold of some more. do you know of any other natural remedies Ripbudgies?

Thankyou.

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Hi.

I know Apple Cidar vinegar is a good internal cleaner for birds and I know raspberry cordial is the same.

I also know chamomile tea is good for respiratory infections,

Are their any other good natural remedies for disease?

Is their anything natural I can use for worming?

thankyou.

Hi pearce, Do you know, how much, how often, and are these added to water etc.? Prevention is better than cure if these are not harmful even if they don't help.Thanks

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

I use apple cider vinagar (with the mother in it) every day in their water.

The most important thing to remember when treating a sick bird is to keep it warm, at all times.

A quick pick me up for a bird off colour is cold black tea added to the drinking water, 1 teaspoon per 100ml of water.

Brandy is also a good reviver for the sick bird, and the distraught breeder.

A small artists brush is handy for giving medicine to small chicks, and applying antiseptics etc, wash well when finished using.

A good tonic to keep your birds healthy is a mixture of 2 parts bi-carbonate of soda to 1 part citric acid, mixed together dry, and scattered on a baking tray, then placed in a warming oven for 20 minutes. Store in a sealed container.

Add 1 teaspoon of this dried mix to 1 litre of water and stir.

Give every other day. This mix appears to keep the birds Ph level constant, and makes them a lot less susceptible to disease.

As budgerigars are prone to tumours and cancer, a good mixture to sometimes rid the system of the problem, is a prolonged course of beetroot fluid in the drinker in place of usual water.

Boil freshly picked beet in water, with no additives, and drain off the fluid, and bottle it, retaining it in the fridge for further use.

A six week course will sometimes rid the problem.

It is perhaps a good precaution to give cooled, boiled water to your birds at all times.

A good precautionary medication to give your birds once a month is Condies Crystals (Potassium Permanganate). Six to eight crystals should be added to a container of boiled water 24 hours prior to use, and let settle and discolour. You will notice that when first added to the water it will be a violet colour, which under no circumstances is to be given to the birds. This is a mild antibiotic.

If you place a sheet of white paper on the cage bottom of any sick bird, you should be able to tell at a glance if the droppings are normal or otherwise.

New Cottee's Lite Raspberry cordial added to water at a rate of 10% is will help in the treatment of Salmonella and E-Coli infections in your birds, Take a look at this link for more info,

• Member ID:  4,671
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  7,755
  • Birthday:  12/09/1994

i give it to my breeding pairs every second day

and my birds that is not breeding Once a week

Edited by shannon bird breeder

• Member ID:  4,879
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  974
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  5,370

I had heard of most of splats remedies, but couldnt for the life of me remember them all. Much appreciated splat!

I heard chamomile was good for calming birds prior to shows or any sort of change. Also helps to calm after night fright or other injuries. Also heard but cant confirm that a tonic made from aloe vera plants (the gell in the leaves) boiled with water then cooled is good for birds with stomach upsets or other gastro-intestinal or diet related problems.

By far the highest recommended food supplement or natural remedy i have heard of is eucalyptus!!!

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I use apple cider vinagar (with the mother in it) every day in their water.

The most important thing to remember when treating a sick bird is to keep it warm, at all times.

A quick pick me up for a bird off colour is cold black tea added to the drinking water, 1 teaspoon per 100ml of water.

Brandy is also a good reviver for the sick bird, and the distraught breeder.

A small artists brush is handy for giving medicine to small chicks, and applying antiseptics etc, wash well when finished using.

A good tonic to keep your birds healthy is a mixture of 2 parts bi-carbonate of soda to 1 part citric acid, mixed together dry, and scattered on a baking tray, then placed in a warming oven for 20 minutes. Store in a sealed container.

Add 1 teaspoon of this dried mix to 1 litre of water and stir.

Give every other day. This mix appears to keep the birds Ph level constant, and makes them a lot less susceptible to disease.

As budgerigars are prone to tumours and cancer, a good mixture to sometimes rid the system of the problem, is a prolonged course of beetroot fluid in the drinker in place of usual water.

Boil freshly picked beet in water, with no additives, and drain off the fluid, and bottle it, retaining it in the fridge for further use.

A six week course will sometimes rid the problem.

It is perhaps a good precaution to give cooled, boiled water to your birds at all times.

A good precautionary medication to give your birds once a month is Condies Crystals (Potassium Permanganate). Six to eight crystals should be added to a container of boiled water 24 hours prior to use, and let settle and discolour. You will notice that when first added to the water it will be a violet colour, which under no circumstances is to be given to the birds. This is a mild antibiotic.

If you place a sheet of white paper on the cage bottom of any sick bird, you should be able to tell at a glance if the droppings are normal or otherwise.

New Cottee's Lite Raspberry cordial added to water at a rate of 10% is will help in the treatment of Salmonella and E-Coli infections in your birds, Take a look at this link for more info,

Re the cottees lite cordial.............as a person allergic to artificial sweeteners as would be in the LITE cordials I am aware of the dangerous nature of artificial sweeteners. I would suggest not using the lite version of the cottees cordial and looking for soemthing a little more NATURAL

http://www.ghchealth.com/artificial-sweeteners.html

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  3,791
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  840
  • Birthday:  24/08/1976

At what rate would people add apple cider vinegar to bird's water supplies for day to day use...? :)

I add 10 ml's to a litre of apple cidar vinegar. I also use raspberry cordial, very diluted.

Chamomile tea is good for respitory infections. Boil the tea and let it cool right down, soothes their sinuses.

Yeah eucalyptus is also quite good.

Splat- Which aisle in the shopping center would I find the citric acid? Never heard of it before.

Excellent info by all, writing this all down.

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

At what rate would people add apple cider vinegar to bird's water supplies for day to day use...? :)
You want it to be slightly acid but here's the thing- everybody's water is different. :P So for my budgies FIRST of all I tested my tap water and found out it was only slightly alcaline (I have Goldfish as well and used the water tester to determine the nature of my water). Then I added drops of apple cider until the test came back slightly acid. In my case it is 2-4 drops/L.Regarding the water tester, you can pick these up at Aquariums for about $15. Make sure you get the tester for FRESH Water as they often sell the SALT water testers side-by-side. B)
I add 10 ml's to a litre of apple cidar vinegar.
Pearce, ARE you SURE about the apple cider dosage????? :o Have you tested your water? :D Is it THAT alcaline? If it was me, I'd be adding - at most- 1ml/L.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

This is a transcript from The World Today. The program is broadcast around Australia at 12:10pm on ABC Local Radio.Raspberry juice used to fight off stomach infectionsThe World Today Archive - Wednesday, 21 March , 2001 00:00:00Reporter: John HighfieldCOMPERE: Well, let's take a good news story for a bit of a change.One of the most common but serious afflictions in young children, gastroenteritis, could be prevented with simple raspberry juice, it seems.That's the remarkable discovery from a chance overhearing of a conversation in a cafe in southern New South Wales. The conversation led to laboratory experiments at Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga campus, which show apparently that a range of common stomach bugs such as e-coli are actually killed off by raspberry juice or raspberry juice cordial diluted to as low as 10 per cent strength.Human trials are now being planned to try and prove that routinely drinking raspberry juice could act as a preventative against outbreaks of stomach infections in places like schools amongst children, or for children and adults whilst travelling.This morning I spoke to the leader of the research team, Dr Heather Cavanagh.HEATHER CAVANAGH: This was based on a coffee room conversation regarding the anecdotal use of raspberry cordial by local farmers when I first arrived in Australia. And I have to admit I thought they were pulling my leg. I thought it was like the five o'clock wave in Wagga. However once they had started talking about it, people from Queensland started telling me that they recommend holiday-makers use raspberry cordial. People from Perth starting telling me that the local pig farms use it. And it seems to be just widespread throughout Australia.COMPERE: I believe the budgerigar breeders have it on their website that young budgies should be fed this.HEATHER CAVANAGH: Yes. The Budgerigar Council of Victoria on their website recommend that "adding a few drops of raspberry cordial will help keep your budgies' water clean and bacteria-free" is the quote.Obviously the belief in it is very strong. One raspberry cordial manufacturer has actually gone as far as producing a powdered raspberry drink powder - a powdered raspberry drink so that it's much easier for the farmers to add to the drinking troughs and into the water.COMPERE: Now, you've done some laboratory experiments which tend to back up this folk medicine.HEATHER CAVANAGH: Yes, without doubt. We have tested in the laboratory the activity of this raspberry cordial down to a one-in-10 dilution, which is much weaker than the manufacturers recommend, and we've found that it will kill the common food borne pathogens like E. coli and salmonella. It's also very effective on stapharius mycobacterium, which is one of the causes of TB [Tuberculosis] and clostridium, which is a common source of wind infection.We are very interested in taking it on into clinical trial, and we're also very interested in looking at the effect on parasites like giardia, to know if things like the Sydney outbreak a couple of years ago can in fact be helped by raspberry cordial.COMPERE: This of course has a very serious side because gastroenteritis, as I mentioned in the lead, is one of the most common baby afflictions. Not only that. In the developing world it's one of the most common killers.HEATHER CAVANAGH: I mean, I have to qualify this by saying that we have no idea of the effect on people once you actually have the infection. I mean, that's something we would very much like to look at.At the moment all we can really say is that having the raspberry cordial in the water when you're drinking it is much more likely to reduce your chance of picking up gastroenteritis. So at the moment we're looking at it as a kind of preventative. However, clinical trials may show that in fact it can be used as a treatment.COMPERE: Well, certainly prevention is better than cure always.At what strength must you use this? I mean, obviously you can't have it really diluted.HEATHER CAVANAGH: No. The maximum strength that it's effective is one-in-10. However, using it at the manufacturers' recommended strength, which is one plus four, so, one in five, is perfect. That will keep your water clean.COMPERE: But presumably you'd also have to buy a cordial that's got a fair amount of raspberry juice in it.HEATHER CAVANAGH: Yes. You must buy the cordials that have at least 35 per cent raspberry juice.COMPERE: What about pure raspberry juice? Is that even better?HEATHER CAVANAGH: Yes. It works just as well. There's no problem with the raspberry juice. And obviously that's where the activity is coming from, because the results of using pure raspberry juice mimic the cordial exactly.If there's a tummy bug at school and perhaps you want to give them that extra chance of not catching it, raspberry cordial may be the way to go.COMPERE: It certainly is. Raspberry cordial - the miracle.Well, Dr Heather Cavanagh is a lecturer in biomedical science at Charles Sturt University, Wagga.

I add 10 ml's to a litre of apple cidar vinegar.
A show breeder Renee and I know recommmended I believe 7 drops per litre.

I was told 10 mls per litre. Ill try find the topic.

I was told 10 mls per litre. Ill try find the topic.

You may very well have been told that but I'd recommend you check your water first and then determine how much you need to add. :)

Here is a post I made, with a few quotes taken from it.

Quote by Norm

I use ACV a couple of times a week, as I’ve seen it recommended in lots of places, it’s hard to judge if it really is as good as they say, as Macka says I use 10mls to the Litre. I use it myself sometimes it tastes yucky as it’s extremely acid, but then not everything that tastes good is good for you. At least as far as the birds are concerned I think the fact that their water is acid would inhibit bacteria at least.

The thing with Raspberry cordial is that it is supposed to be the highest content of true Raspberries that’s important, it’s very hard to find, I didn’t find anything more than 25% Raspberries, as most of it in stores is artificial flavoured which is useless, I would use the normal one myself.

Quote by drnat

My budgies love diluted apple cider vinegar water, mostly they bathe in it, but drink it as well. 10ml/L.

Here is a post I made, with a few quotes taken from it.

Quote by Norm

I use ACV a couple of times a week, as I've seen it recommended in lots of places, it's hard to judge if it really is as good as they say, as Macka says I use 10mls to the Litre. I use it myself sometimes it tastes yucky as it's extremely acid, but then not everything that tastes good is good for you. At least as far as the birds are concerned I think the fact that their water is acid would inhibit bacteria at least.

The thing with Raspberry cordial is that it is supposed to be the highest content of true Raspberries that's important, it's very hard to find, I didn't find anything more than 25% Raspberries, as most of it in stores is artificial flavoured which is useless, I would use the normal one myself.

Quote by drnat

My budgies love diluted apple cider vinegar water, mostly they bathe in it, but drink it as well. 10ml/L.

Yes, I see that indeed you have been recommended this dosage. Personally I think it is WAY TOO aciddy. If it is considered "yucky" to drink, how do you think your budgies feel about this? :)

Remember that budgies are desert birds and can easily go for a week without drinking ... by providing such accidy water you have NO guarentee that they are actually Drinking this bile.

Again Pearce, CHECK your water with a Fresh water tester from an aquarium and then determine how much ACV you really need to add.

I recommend you set your acid content at SLIGHTLY acid. :(

Lets say my water ph level was average. How many drops of acv per litre is recomended?

Thankyou. 1 ml per L, how many drops is that?

Lets say my water ph level was average. How many drops of acv per litre is recomended?

Thankyou. 1 ml per L, how many drops is that?

But Pearce, you don't even know what 'average' is! :) Where you live determines the PH value of your water. Some people have 'soft'water ie., alcaline. some people have 'hard' water ie., aciddy. The geographical location and where your water comes from are the deciding factors.

You NEED to check your own water yourself to know the answer. :(

1ml is 14 drops.

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

My birds are on 10mils of ACV to the ltr,3 to 4 days a week,

Citric acid,works the same as the ACV,you could use them

week about.

I use to use rasberry cordial,but stoped when I started

useing the ACV.I have used some of the remidys that Splat.

uses, at different times to lift a budgie,I thought might

of needed a edge at a show.

My birds are on 10mils of ACV to the ltr,3 to 4 days a week,

And they actually drink it? :( How do you know they aren't drinking what you provide them on the other days? :)

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

If they are not drinking it,something is, I have glass tube waters,I change the water each day in summer.

every second day in winter.I also have raceing pigeons,& they are on the the same mix.I have a electric earn

& the water is boiled as well.Its like anything,youget use to it.Some people have sugar in there tea & if you

gave them tea with out the sugar,they would spit it out. :)

If they are not drinking it,something is, I have glass tube waters,I change the water each day in summer.

every second day in winter.I also have raceing pigeons,& they are on the the same mix.

But why so aciddy Macka? :) Isn't it as bit 'overkill'? B) I mean the point to adding ACV is to naturally help confine the build up of fungal infections, such as Megabacteria. By just adding - at most- 1ml/L you are raising the PH value sufficiently to control the like. :(

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

.... can some one reinterate WHY you use ACV? I used to use it all the time and when ask, I really couldn't answer them so I stoped using it.

I think you need to sit back and say, I use ?????? because. If you can't answer it, either find out why or stop using it.

I used to use it for Mega but I found out that increasiing acid in the digestive tract by either ACV or Citric Acid (citus Friut) was causing it and not helping it. Notes on Lecture by Dr David Phalen at Wynnum

Edited by Daz

• Member ID:  4,396
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  307
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  1,810
  • Birthday:  21/04/1974

.... can some one reinterate WHY you use ACV? I used to use it all the time and when ask, I really couldn't answer them so I stoped using it.

I think you need to sit back and say, I use ?????? because. If you can't answer it, either find out why or stop using it.

I used to use it for Mega but I found out that increasiing acid in the digestive tract by either ACV or Citric Acid (citus Friut) was causing it and not helping it. Notes on Lecture by Dr David Phalen at Wynnum

I'm with you Daz - i stopped using it years ago.

"To grow the fungus needs:

• A Low oxygen environment
  • Narrow range of above Ph 3.0 to 4.0 starts to grow & above rapid growth
  • Needs serum to grow (product from the host bird-feeding each other etc)"

Neutral PH is 7. By raising the PH value to 8 you are controlling the proliferation of fungal growth. :)