• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  150
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  30/03/1975

Hi folks,

I've had my budgies for about a month now, and they're settling in nicely. They're easy to handle and calm and appear to pay attention when I talk to them, I have hopes the male might learn to talk.

However, they don't act like the budgies I see on youtube videos. They don't play with toys, they don't move around their cage, they don't chirp much, and they overall don't appear to be very happy. They do eat consistently, both their normal seed and millet spray. (They ignore all veggies/fruit/mineral blocks I offer, but I keep offering.)

I can't tell if they're scared from their new environment, or if they don't like the toys I've given them, or what exactly is going on. However, some reading and guesswork made me think that maybe their environment was too quiet, and they felt threatened. They're isolated in the office to keep them safe from toddlers and cats. I work in there ~8 hours a day, but often the only sound is my keyboard clicking.

So I went is search of budgie sound files, in the hope of providing them some background noise. I've found a whole bunch of 10-20 second files people have posted, which I downloaded. I also found the following:

http://www.listeningearth.com.au/albums/Fr...HealthyPets.htm

I downloaded this, and I love it - it's 63 minutes of wild budgie flock sounds - good quality and my budgies love it. I also spent some time downloading the sample files from the other CDs they have available for other bird background noise.

I was wondering if people had other resources like this? I've accumulated about 4 hours of sounds, a lot of which is canary songs from:

http://www.cwwcbc.us/tk/

And other wild bird calls from here:

http://www.worldbirdingcenter.org/bird_info/

Any other things you all do to make your budgies feel more natural and at home?

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

What I do is keep on the radio all the time on my computer since this is where Merlin is and if the T.V. is on in the living room then I turn it down, I don't use budgie sounds because for Merlin being a sole bird it would frustrate him looking for another budgie. Also Merlin is in my office so when I shut the doors and keep everyone out I let him out so he can explore on my desk and bond with him.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I would be happy to record my budgies aviary sounds for people of only I knew how to acchieve this without costing the earth :D

• Member ID:  4,949
  • Topic Count:  4

I would be happy to record my budgies aviary sounds for people of only I knew how to acchieve this without costing the earth :)

What operating system do you use? There are free sound recorders for almost every operating system - for the Mac I use http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17392. Looks like Audacity is free for both recording and editing. I don't know how easy it is to set up on Windows. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

If anyone wants to record aviary sounds, I'm more than happy to post them on the web and leave them up indefinitely - I have unlimited space on my web hosting account, and we can keep a running list here on the forum of the links.

I would be happy to record my budgies aviary sounds for people of only I knew how to acchieve this without costing the earth :)

What operating system do you use? There are free sound recorders for almost every operating system - for the Mac I use http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17392. Looks like Audacity is free for both recording and editing. I don't know how easy it is to set up on Windows. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

If anyone wants to record aviary sounds, I'm more than happy to post them on the web and leave them up indefinitely - I have unlimited space on my web hosting account, and we can keep a running list here on the forum of the links.

I operate wimdows vista on my pc......but how do you get the aviary sounds from aviary to PC ?

I operate wimdows vista on my pc......but how do you get the aviary sounds from aviary to PC ?

Ah, I've had a laptop for so long I didn't think about a desktop computer! Duh! I was thinking you'd just carry the laptop out to the aviary! It took me something like three re-reads to figure out what you were talking about! I gotta stop reading forums at 1:30 in the morning.

I don't have any great ideas, unless you have a nice long digital microphone or you find a laptop laying around. Most modern laptops have built in microphones, so that's all you'd need.

Alternately, I could talk my boss into flying me to Australia for some made up business need, bring my laptop, and visit your aviary. If the economy weren't crumbling around my ears, I might even be able to convince her! :-)

Anyone else have aviary sounds they'd like to share?

I have a laptop as well....tell me how to do this ?

• Member ID:  2,476
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  607
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  4,290
  • Birthday:  28/02/1987

Ah, I'm so glad you shared these sound files! My budgies are currently yelling their heads off while they play outside the cage (much better than their wandering around quietly exploring).

Kaz, there are some programs you can download for free that allow you to record sounds. I'm assuming you have a microphone built into your laptop? I'll have a look around for good programs.

I have a laptop as well....tell me how to do this ?

Just go to this link http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ and download this software for the Windows Operating System (XP, or Vista - whatever you have). It should auto-install, and start. It's got controls that look like a tape recorder, the red round one will record. If you've got a built in microphone, that's all you have to do.

I downloaded it and ran it on a Mac, and so I am not 100% sure the installation procedure will look the same on Windows, but it should be pretty close.

I look forward to aviary sounds, I think my budgies will be thrilled!

• Member ID:  4,879
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  974
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  5,370

The link you posted with budgie sounds only gave me an mp3 that is about 3 minutes long? How do i get the 63 minute one?? I've been meaning to get around to finding good quality flock sounds for some time, as im very aware that budgies are flock creatures that LOVE noise. ESPECIALLY FLOCK NOISES!!!