• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Good on you Cathy, getting an older dog they all need love, that is what I did with Cabela, someday when the kids are gone off on their own, I will get an older dog once again that just wants love and snuggles. :).

Buffy is adorable :)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  4,673
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  262
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,775
  • Birthday:  22/06/1990

This is my new girl. She is about 2 and a half years old. I got her from my fiance's aunty, she rescued her from the people across the road from her. The poor dog had been locked in a laundry for 2 years. She didn't even know what grass was and her claws had been let to grow so much that they had grown around and into the bottoms of her feet, she couldnt' even walk. ^_^

She is a chihuahua x jack russel.

DSCF2640.jpg

DSCF2635.jpg

poor girl is very skinny at the moment :D

• Member ID:  4,792
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  820
  • Birthday:  05/10/1972

They are just all so gorgeous!

This is my beautiful baby face Muffy who I had to have put down in Octpber 08 due to multiple organ failure. She was my 1st born and my only girl(I have 3 "human" sons)

As a baby

Muffy02.jpg

Muffy04.jpg

As a 10 year old, having cuddles with Daddy, 2.5 years before she left us

Muffy05.jpg

This is my new monster Harvey, supposed to be a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel x Shih Tzu

At 8 weeks

100_1436.jpg

100_1440.jpg

100_1447.jpg

100_1449.jpg

2 weeks ago, at 4.5 months

100_1498.jpg

• Member ID:  4,561
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  88
  • Achievement Points:  490
  • Birthday:  22/07/1975

I don't post so much on this forum. I don't have as much knowledge as you guys about budgies. But I come here regularly to read and learn what I can (and of course go green with envy because of all the pretty budgies I can't have). This time I feel like sharing. Some of you might remember me. We have recently moved to Canada. One of the promises my husband made, was that I could also get a puppy when we buy our own home. So we bought the house, and I started searching for puppies, and then my husband lost his job. Since it also costs money to have a puppy, I decided to use my registration at the adoption agency to switch to Foster Care. My application was successful, and now (for less than a week) I am the proud Foster parent of two very beautiful puppies. I just don't have any hope for their future looks, as the mommy did not inherit any looks from her parents... :blink: Can not say what they were though:

Here is the mommy:

CindyAndZorroMomy.jpg

Here's the two that I am looking after:

Cindy:

Cindy5.jpg

And Zorro:

Zorro6.jpg

They are all rescued from Louisiana. They are having a ball of a time at my house, but Zorro cries when he sees me putting my jacket on... he just hates the snow with a passion. Does his business fast and then come to sit on my feet! :hap:

I love my new role and can do this for ever.

Here are the links to their "space on the web".

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaype...?petid=13114916

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaype...?petid=13114923

Edited by Montie

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Here is our King Charles Cavalier Spaniels....Maggie and Cricket. Cricket is the Mum and Maggie is her daughter.

Cricket DSCF1513-1.jpg

and Maggie ( left ) and Cricket ( right )

DSCF1520-1.jpg

Both excellent ratters and mousers. Cricket can catch, kill and fully eat a rat in 6 seconds.

Edited by KAZ
  • 10 months later...

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

IMG_2213.jpg

This is my flat coated retriever, Edy. (She was named after a brand of ice cream, here in the U.S. Her full name is Edy's Rocky Road, CD, CGC.)

We adopted her when she was 7 months old, and she was 13 1/2 years old when we had to have her put down last week.

Here she is with her buddies, Tanja, the German shepherd dog, and Birdie, the Shetland sheep dog.

IMG_3901.jpg

We no longer have Tanja, either, so Birdie is an only dog for the first time in her life. We are getting a new friend for her, probably next week. Of course, I will put up the new baby pictures as soon as possible!

• Member ID:  4,488
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1,685
  • Birthday:  13/04/1995

wow everyone has georgeous dogs,

I dont have any photos at the mo but will upload them soon,

Our first dog we got back in 2000 when i was just five, his name is finn and he is a tri sheltie like birdie EXCEPT he was the runt of his family and he kept his puppy fur, his fur stuck out and he looked like a lion lol, so we decided to get him groomed as hes more comfortable with it off, he now looks like a foxy x but he has a great personality. He is now 9 years old.

The newcomer is my dog, He is 10 months old and is........... his mum was 3/4 cairn terrier 1/4 foxy and his dad was..... chihuahua, papillion and pekignese but mostly chihuahua.

His name is odie and he is mostly chihuahua looking and personality wise but has a light brindle colouring like a cairn terrier.

pics are to come. :rolleyes:

• Member ID:  5,501
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  112
  • Achievement Points:  710
  • Birthday:  15/02/1973

I don't post so much on this forum. I don't have as much knowledge as you guys about budgies. But I come here regularly to read and learn what I can (and of course go green with envy because of all the pretty budgies I can't have). This time I feel like sharing. Some of you might remember me. We have recently moved to Canada. One of the promises my husband made, was that I could also get a puppy when we buy our own home. So we bought the house, and I started searching for puppies, and then my husband lost his job. Since it also costs money to have a puppy, I decided to use my registration at the adoption agency to switch to Foster Care. My application was successful, and now (for less than a week) I am the proud Foster parent of two very beautiful puppies. I just don't have any hope for their future looks, as the mommy did not inherit any looks from her parents... :rolleyes: Can not say what they were though:

Montie, I think the pups are gorgeous and I love mum too :( I looooooooooove scruffy dogs!

I have a 12 year old terrier x (Pepper) and have just adopted another terrier x from S.A.F.E. in Broome (named her Myah, her name was Nala)

This is them on Pepper's bed, Pep is not too sure what to think :rofl:

2010_01_ourSAFEpuppy020.jpg

and this Myah a bit closer up, isn't s he adorable ;)

2010_01_ourSAFEpuppy002.jpg

wow everyone has georgeous dogs,

I dont have any photos at the mo but will upload them soon,

Our first dog we got back in 2000 when i was just five, his name is finn and he is a tri sheltie like birdie EXCEPT he was the runt of his family and he kept his puppy fur, his fur stuck out and he looked like a lion lol, so we decided to get him groomed as hes more comfortable with it off, he now looks like a foxy x but he has a great personality. He is now 9 years old.

The newcomer is my dog, He is 10 months old and is........... his mum was 3/4 cairn terrier 1/4 foxy and his dad was..... chihuahua, papillion and pekignese but mostly chihuahua.

His name is odie and he is mostly chihuahua looking and personality wise but has a light brindle colouring like a cairn terrier.

pics are to come. :rolleyes:

Finn.....I like that name! ;)

My tricolor sheltie has a very thin coat. When she was a pup, it was very short, and since people are really only used to seeing sable shelties (Lassie color), people would ask me if she was a mix breed. I would tell them she was my "smooth" sheltie! She is 8 now, almost as old as your Finn.

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Well dogs are my first and foremost hobby and budgies have always come second.

We have bred, trained and competed with German Shepherds for quite a number of years. Our girls have done pretty well too my old girl, Iccara Basic Instinct (Shine - playing in the sun at Rainbow Bridge), won an invitation only Novice obedience trial for the top 8 dogs in the state, my current girl Iccara Nonesuch (Scarlett) was the top Baby ***** and top Junior ***** Show dog in the GSDA in consecutive years, top agility GSD in WA 2 years running, won the Novice State Obedience trial and was a finalist in the Open State Obedience trial and the Masters State Agility Trial.

But things do change! As I work away from home a lot, I was a little annoyed about coming home to find 6 inches of Shepherd hair on the couch where my lovely hubby liked to share with the dogs. So we embarked on finding him a couch dog and into our lives stepped Swifthund Msgoodytwoshus (Effi). Princess Effi stole our hearts (as well as our thongs and doonah!) and since 2001 we have swapped from breeding GSD's to whippets.

So here is our hound family.

Iccara Basic Instinct BSC1 CDX ADM JDM ET AZ (Scarlett) - she is now 11 yrs old and fully retired from competition although she is the consumate working dog and still loves to have something to do!

scarjump2.jpg

Swifthund Msgoodytwoshus ADX JDX (Princess Effi) - Also known as Minimum Effort - she thinks the whole world is her oyster and is rarely bothered to get up much more than a gentle lope usually with a happy little whippet smile on her face!

effijump1.jpg

Bibbilmun Slim Dusty ADX JDX ADO JDO SD GD SPDX (Greebo - very much a Daddy's boy!!!!) - competing here at the Royal Show. He is currently the highest agility title whippet in WA and is working towards his Masters title.

071001-oag-069.jpg

Barmera Black Russian GD SPD (Tchorna) - showing us her completely unique A-frame style where she only touches it twice - once in the colour going up and once in the colour going down!!!!! Also competing at the Royal here. She is lots of fun, although can be a bit of a "window licker" - we think she might be slightly autistic if there is such a thing in the dog world. But she is turning into a super little agility dog.

070929-tag1-286.jpg

Rakaia E-litter (Greebo x Effi). Rakaia is out breeders prefix and this is our E litter (A-D were all shep litters). Somehwhere in this pile is Rakaia Enya Face (Enya) who is the very first every home bred puppy that we have kept. She's the one on top of my husband going for his ear!!! Enya was the houdini of the litter and could get out of anywhere! Thankfully with some creative electric fencing we succeeded in keeping her in the 5 acre property at least!

puppies-1.jpg

Rakaia F-litter (Greebo x Effi). We didn't keep any of these guys.

IMGP3708.jpg

Rakaia G-litter. (Baronrath Mahogany Rust x Tchorna). Somewhere in here is Rakaia Gone Blue (Freeze) and Rakaia Gotta Black Soul (Sinner) our two young trash twins!

IMGP5499.jpg

Here they are a bit older in the daytime puppy run.

IMGP5185.jpg

Rakaia H-litter. (Greebo x Tchorna). This was our "accidental" litter. It's what happens when you are on holiday and your poor Mum who is looking after the hounds rings up and says "There are 2 dogs stuck together! What do I do?" We didn't keep any of these guys either.

IMGP4577.jpg

But we do stay in contact with many of the people who have bought puppies from us. And here is Rakaia Heat of the Night (Dexter) in a whippets rightful place, doing what whippets do best!

P8273157.jpg

• Member ID:  4,111
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  256
  • Achievement Points:  1,760
  • Birthday:  21/04/1967

This is my current dog, Tikaanii. She is a Siberian Husky X Belgian Shepherd.

She's no good as a watchdog and she's dopey as...but I love her anyway.

She's got character and manners and moults like nothing I've ever seen, and my daughter and I are allergic, but what can you do...she's family. ;)

TIKAANI.jpg

And this is her in one of her favourite positions...

28012008.jpg

This is my previous dog, Lily. She was a Staffy X Dingo.

The smartest dog I've ever known. Unfortunately I had to put her down when she was frightened by a backfiring car and jumped the neighbours fence and the neighbour approached her and she bit the woman. Regrettably it was her second offence and said neighbour demanded I put her down. The council supported her but I made the decision before they could demand it of me.

Worst day of my life.

This is a photo of her with her puppies. She was a brilliant mother. The father of the puppies was a Ridgeback X Dingo.

CCI28012010_00000.jpg

• Member ID:  5,199
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  941
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  5,680

Love them all!!!.....but I especially love this picture, thanks for sharing Finnie.... :happy-dancing:

IMG_2213.jpg

Now i know this isnt about a dog and i know I am gatecrashing the " dog topic" :rofl:

but i have been telling Ken for ages that my cat RUSKIE often sleeps with his eyes open. He didnt believe me....But here is the proof :happy-dancing:

002-25.jpg

003-35.jpg

Believe it or not he is fast fast asleep......Wave your hands in front of his eyes and dont wake up kind of asleep. When he reaches that deep sleep his eyelids open and his eyes are wide open although he's asleep. :laughter:

• Member ID:  5,199
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  941
  • Achievement Points:  5,680

Kaz he is beautiful...... :question:

003-35.jpg

Well dogs are my first and foremost hobby and budgies have always come second.

We have bred, trained and competed with German Shepherds for quite a number of years. So we embarked on finding him a couch dog and into our lives stepped Swifthund Msgoodytwoshus (Effi). Princess Effi stole our hearts (as well as our thongs and doonah!) and since 2001 we have swapped from breeding GSD's to whippets.

scarjump2.jpg

Swifthund Msgoodytwoshus ADX JDX (Princess Effi) - Also known as Minimum Effort - she thinks the whole world is her oyster and is rarely bothered to get up much more than a gentle lope usually with a happy little whippet smile on her face!

effijump1.jpg

Barmera Black Russian GD SPD (Tchorna) - showing us her completely unique A-frame style where she only touches it twice - once in the colour going up and once in the colour going down!!!!! Also competing at the Royal here. She is lots of fun, although can be a bit of a "window licker" - we think she might be slightly autistic if there is such a thing in the dog world. But she is turning into a super little agility dog.

070929-tag1-286.jpg

But we do stay in contact with many of the people who have bought puppies from us. And here is Rakaia Heat of the Night (Dexter) in a whippets rightful place, doing what whippets do best!

P8273157.jpg

Nubbly, you are my Hero!

It has always been my dream to breed and exhibit dogs in every venue possible,. But I'm not the kind of person with enough energy and gumption to really get out there and do it. So far we've only put a few titles on our dogs, and done NO breeding. (Hubby, much to his own chagrin, encouraged me to get into budgie breeding, because he thought it would be a lot easier to live with than puppy breeding. It is, but he probably wouldn't agree!)

I totally LOVE GSDs!!! Talk about get up and go and being able to do it all. They are my Heroes of the Dog Word! (Whippets have their place, too. Which I guess is on the couch!)

• Member ID:  1,641

What a switch but I bet the hair alone is wonderful NOT to have lol, I can tell the difference between Cabela and Sonny (the GSD), love the GSD breed so so so smart and willing to please in a heartbeat, Sonny leaves everything alone but Brandy my shep mix used to eat out the crotches (ewwwwww)

So what is the difference between the Whippet to the GSD? In personality and such.

Here are a couple of pictures of my new puppy.

001-6.jpg

008-3.jpg

We just got her Monday night. She is a real sweetie. Only one housebreaking mistake so far! :question:

She is a long-haired chocolate and tan piebald dachshund. We have named her Liesl. (That is the oldest daughter in the Sound of Music.)

Aww shucks! Thanks Finnie!

GSD's are fantastic dogs and treated right are hard to beat as working dogs, family dogs, show dogs, herding dogs, whatever - their versatility is unmatched.

I would still be involved with them but I would only breed them by the GSDA code of ethics which means hip & elbow x-rays, haemophilia testing and breed surveys. Recently they were trying to introduce a working test as well, which although I think is a great idea, I was having great difficulty with. We live 4 hours round trip from the one and only location that any training for the working test was taking place and for me working full time, training agility and obedience and getting more and more involved with budgies and budgie politics, it became a mission impossible and so the complete swap to whippets.

Whippets are great too and don't need the mental stimulation that the GSD's do, nor do they need the physical work that the GSD's do. They run around for a few minutes and then happliy spend the rest of the day asleep on the couch. They are never agressive to other dogs and are perfect pets for children. They are also (discounting Princess Effi of course) super motivated little agility hounds though and my little Tchorna is matching it in times with some of the faster border collies etc AND they don't knock down jumps! Being sprinters the short agility runs are well suited to them but unlike GSD's they don't like the cold & wet and would prefer to sleep when it's 38 degrees plus. Luckily in summer we have night trials and they LOVE these! Very different to train than sheps though - you have to really make it worth their while - it's a hound v's working dog thing.

And what a gorgeous Dachy! Such a cutie. You know they were originally bred to hunt badgers of all things?!

Edited by nubbly5

And what a gorgeous Dachy! Such a cutie. You know they were originally bred to hunt badgers of all things?!

Thank you, Nubbly.

Yes, it's hard to imagine any dog going down a badger den and challenging them! I am going to make her registered name Tail's End's Weasel Teaser. I think weasels would be more her size! :laughter:

I'm hoping to do obedience and earth dog trials with her.

Gorgeous name! I might have to borrow that for when we get to our W litter - a long way off if you look at our normal breeding program! Would it bother you if one day somehwere in Australia there was a Rakaia Weasel Teaser named in honour of your beautiful baby Liesl?

And what are earth dog trials? I know that there are way more disciplines available for dog sports in the US than here but I've not heard of earth dog trials before. I'm assuming it's testing their ability to go to ground.....

Shame of all shames is that in Western Aus we don't even have lure coursing - what our whippets were born to do!

Oh! That's terrible that your whippets don't get to do lure coursing! I've heard that they absolutely LOVE it!

Yeah, earthdog is for going to ground. I believe it's only for terriers, but dachshunds are allowed, too. They dig a tunnel maze thingy and put a rat in a cage at the end, and the dogs are supposed to tunnel down and find the rat, and then bark to signal. Some people claim it's cruel to terrify the rats, but they are in a cage, and they don't get hurt.

By all means, use Weasle Teaser! I myself have borrowed it from the book 'Never Tease A Weasel' by Jean Conder Soule, printed in 1964. My mom always read it to us when we were little, and now my family has a copy.

• Member ID:  4,488
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  232
  • Achievement Points:  1,685
  • Birthday:  13/04/1995

I have finally gotten pics of my dogs,

First photo is Finn: Sheltie although he dont really look like one lol. Nine years old.

Second photo is Odie: HIs dad was Chihuahua x papillion x pekingnese but mostly chihuahua and his mum was a cairn terrier x foxy but mostly cairn terrier.

Odie has the colouring of a cairn terrier and the looks of a chihuahua. He is one in feb

2010_0110pics0330.jpg

2010_0110pics0331.jpg

Odie is a naughty boy because he runs over the road to the neighbours to play with his shitzu x poodle friend, luckily we live in a coldesack. He also chewed two of my mums shoes, but other than that he is very obedient... his tricks are sit, lie down, crawl, beg, stay, shake and spin.

He also is good at agility he can weave and jump really high.

Finn although he is old can do agility too.

Edited by brittanya932
  • 2 months later...

Here is our King Charles Cavalier Spaniels....Maggie and Cricket. Cricket is the Mum and Maggie is her daughter.

Cricket DSCF1513-1.jpg

and Maggie ( left ) and Cricket ( right )

DSCF1520-1.jpg

Both excellent ratters and mousers. Cricket can catch, kill and fully eat a rat in 6 seconds.

and then there were THREE :D

Meet Harley :)

018-25.jpg

023-27.jpg

015-27.jpg

and the girls.

002-27.jpg

• Member ID:  1,641

too cute Kaz, I love the look of this breed and I have read and seen the profile that they are just as sweet. Congrats!

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

Are we going into breeding