• Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  285
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/11/1992

My pair of budgies had their first babies not that long ago after the female was meant to be to young to breed.

She had been killing of the babies that were still in eggs from my other pair of budgies and than had her on kicked the baby one out at 4 weeks and went and had more babies she had 4 first litter than 5 and she has kicked the last one out just a few weeks ago and has gone and breeding again :D so has the pair she kept killing the babies from had her first baby Friday and now she has 3 but one sadly past away the day hatched ;) at the same time as this has been happening my cockatiels had babies and my quails had 7 babies today. :rolleyes:

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

I'm confused....Are these birds in an aviary? You shouldn't have birds which are too young to breed in an aviary with nest boxes it's like encouraging twelve year old girls to have children. I have reread your post and it sounds like the girl is to young is onto her third clutch?? This is bordering on too many for an experienced hen and defiantly I would say too many for a young hen, you may be risking her life breeding her this much as breeding takes a lot out of a bird.

Just as a side note it would really help if you could punctuate your post. It makes it very hard to read otherwise

Edited by Neat

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

MB is right. You NEVER put any birds younger thaN 12 months in an aviary with nestboxes. You are encouraging them to breed too early and its like giving them permission to go ahead and breed BEFORE they are mentally capable of raising babies. You are doing what is called colony breeding which is the hardest thing to acchieve without fights and deaths and chicks and eggs killed and thrown out of nestboxes. Are your tiels in there too and your quails ? How big is your aviary and how many nestboxes do you have and how many birds in the aviary ?

PS go into your profile and make some changes...your name is Amy and it says you are male ?

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

I have to agree that the problems you are having is because your hen is too young :D

Do you have another hen who is able to foster the babies? Where are you located, is there someone near by who can foster the remaining babies for you ?

The kinds of losses you have experienced are not normal in regular colony breeding.

This being her third clutch needs to be her last for many months. Once she is done with this clutch you need to remove the next boxes and stop the colony breeding until your birds are old enough to breed safely. You hen needs to be rested and given lots of good food to eat to help her replenish all that was lost from breeding. Your hen in this case may never be any good at breeding as she has developed bad habits that may not be able to be broken :hap:

Good luck and i hope you don't have any more loss.

• Member ID:  3,634
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  2,442
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  15,475
  • Birthday:  10/11/1989

Absoloutly agree!!! Very valid points are raised by all concerned in this post and you really should head their advise before these "accidents" are happening and you're to blame because you have been warned and not listened. Before you didn't know, now you do... so it's probably best you take their advise and do as recommended.

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

are your cockatiels, quails and budgies all in the one avairy?

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

When we say not old enough to breed IT IS FOR A REASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT BECAUSE THEY CAN'T

• Member ID:  4,848

When i bought her from the pet shop they said she was younger i got her sister aswell than what she is and her babys have lived she has had 9 lovely babys and she was killing the other budgies ( her sisters) that were still in the eggs she is a bit of a bossy girl and her sister is a bit of a quiet girl. Yes i do have all my cockatiels, quails and budgies in the same avairy and they are all fine togeather.

By having nest boxes in an aviary with birds that are too young YOU are responsible for the deaths of every one of those babies. As a pet owner you are responsible for ensuring that your birds are kept in an aviary which is suited to their needs at each stage of their lives, there is a good chance your hen is not 'bossy' as you say but anxious as a result of being bred at an age when she was not emotionally ready.

Yes i do have all my cockatiels, quails and budgies in the same avairy and they are all fine togeather.

It sounds like it.... ;) How many dead babies would you say wasn't fine? :D

I'm sorry if I sound a bit harsh but I have deliberately kept quiet in this because everyone has been on your back and I didn't want you to think that everyone here is bossy. They arn't they are really nice people. They just read what is happening to your babies and are a little bit shocked that you don't see these deaths as a problem. And I haven't seen you ask anyone if they know how to stop your Hen from killing the babies...

Do you think this is normal breeding behaviour?

Do you think that it is just one of those things that happens to breeders?

Just trying to figure out whats up with the :D when your bird is killing your other birds... I would be more :fear and :o Maybe even :sad:

Agreed, we all have deaths of babies here, it is an unfortunate occasional occurance as a breeder and some years are worse than others BUT those deaths are not the result of something avoidable as is the case here. Be aware that a hen may not just kill eggs she may kill babies too, there is every chance that you may go out to your aviary one day and find all the babies of your other hen dead on the floor of the aviary.

I am not responsible for the deaths they were still in the egg hardly developed and i am the one who knows what my budgie is like best. and she is a bossy one (thats the way she is and i love her like that) and i have just had another budgie today from a budgie that is not even paired up with any.

and she is about to have more bubs any day she is a great mum she has nothing wrong with her at all. I have enough boxes and they use them

Edited by Neat

i have just had another budgie today from a budgie that is not even paired up with any.

Sorry mate? Did quiet understand what was said there

I understand that you love her and I never said you didn't but you need to realise that if she is the sort of hen who will clean out a box of eggs then she may well clean out a box of chicks at some stage too. We all have hens who are bossy, etc but the thing is to be able to set up a breeding arrangement that suits all your birds and clearly this isn't the case if you are loosing eggs because of a hen cleaning out boxes.

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

I am not responsible for the deaths they were still in the egg hardly developed

You are if you are breeding under aged hens in an environment CLEARLY not working for you and your birds. :rofl:

You are if you are breeding under aged hens in an environment CLEARLY not working for you and your birds. :rofl:

Thats why i said in the first post she was supposed to be to young but she isn't she has already had 9 babies her self and her sister had 3 the other day and one of her mates had one today she has always been in with others and always been like she has she is still sitting on eggs at the moment other birds have recently been born in their with her and she has left hatched bubs alone it is working how else would i of had lots of success with baby birds.

Edited by maesie

May I ask how old you are? (It's a serious question and I'm just trying to put things into context for you)

I'm not making any comments anymore... enjoy the forum...

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

You are if you are breeding under aged hens in an environment CLEARLY not working for you and your birds. :huh:

Thats why i said in the first post she was supposed to be to young but she isn't she has already had 9 babies her self and her sister had 3 the other day and one of her mates had one today she has always been in with others and always been like she has she is still sitting on eggs at the moment other birds have recently been born in their with her and she has left hatched bubs alone it is working how else would i of had lots of success with baby birds.

Just because her and her sister have had that many babies... does not mean they are old enough to breed. Can you post some photos of these hens??? As to you saying it is working for you... a responsible breeder would have done something about the situation before she killed/destroyed all the eggs you say she did. In my book that is not "lots of success". I'm not saying you don't know your birds and love them, as I'm sure you do. I'm just a little confused... :question:

Edited by maesie

The reason I asked about age is because a young budgie hen is much like a 13 year old girl (or younger), she may be physically capable of having children and happy to parade around for the boys in the latest jay jays mini skirt but the reality is she probably wouldn't make the most competent mum. She may have had some success but in amongst that much loss it doesn't seem like success to me. I'm devestated if I loose even one egg but hey that's just me :question:

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

As much as you most likely dont want to hear us criticise your so called "success" at breeding, we here have a wealth of knowledge and very good advice to share when people are having trouble with their birds. You dont seem to want to admit your birds are having problems and believe me they are. We would like to help you do things better and at a safer standard for your birds health and longevity. Time to start rethinking what you are doing and start listening to people who know more than you do. When someone doesnt listen and just gets defensive when good advice is offered, pretty soon those people who try and help wont be bothered either reading or answering in your topics. Thats not a threat, its just human nature. If people dont listen and learn then those trying to help get fed up and dont bother anymore.

1.Your aviary is not suited to three species of breeding birds. It isnt even suitable for the 16 budgies you have in there breeding, never mind the tiels and quails. By the way...How many tiels and how many nestboxes in there in total ? Just because you think its a huge great space doesnt make it one. Also just because you want tiels and budgies and quails, does not mean they should all be in together in a space not quite big enough for them all to coexist peacefully. Add breeding to those dynamics and you have a disaster waiting to happen.

2. Birds that are under 12 months and over 4 years should NOT be anywhere that nestboxes are as it forces them to breed...either too young or too old. That becomes your responsibility.....to remove them to another place if they have had two clutches already, or to breed birds in seperate cages and have the aviary just for flying and having fun.

3. Your budgies WILL breed themselves to death if you leave them in an aviary with nestboxes and they lay clutch after clutch of eggs. Even the eggs destroyed by other birds forces them to replace the eggs, taking valuable calcium from their own bodies if they havent a sufficient supply in their diet.

4. Birds who are "bossy" and you like them being "bossy" as its part of what you "love about them" will be the bird that goes into a nest she likes better than her own and she WILL KILL baby budgies to clean that nestbox out for herself.

and much much more to tell....but I will wait until I see you are willing to listen to good advice. :question:

Edited by KAZ

If you would care to share some photos of your aviary I'm sure people here would be happy to give you advice to help you set things up better so you don't lose so many chicks. Heck if you are willing to listen and learn I can come and give you some on site advice some time and might even have a few bits and pieces lying around that might be of help.

I have had lots of sucees in my avairy how else would i had around 22 babys and i only started my avairy end of last year start this year and they are going fine it is working. I am having no problems with my birds they are having no problems at all.

my avairy is big enough for them they are all in togeather with a pigeon and the others are breeding and they are fine i havn't had problems with it they are all geting along and love each other even they are different types

May I ask how old you are? (It's a serious question and I'm just trying to put things into context for you).

I am only just turned 16

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

I have had lots of sucees in my avairy how else would i had around 22 babys and i only started my avairy end of last year start this year and they are going fine it is working. I am having no problems with my birds they are having no problems at all.

my avairy is big enough for them they are all in togeather with a pigeon and the others are breeding and they are fine i havn't had problems with it they are all geting along and love each other even they are different types

May I ask how old you are? (It's a serious question and I'm just trying to put things into context for you).

I am only just turned 16

You sound like me when i was your age.... i was a bit younger actually.... but i had budgies, tiels and a pigeon all in an aviary together. I made a lot of mistakes back then and when i look back at what i know now i don't know how any of my budgies survived. My parents still have 2 of my original baby budgies who are 15 years old now!

You are in the right place to learn all you need to know about your budgies.... Keep and open mind as we are purely just trying to help :D