• Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1,465
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hello Everyone,

I have read few posts on the forums regarding cold egg and chicks. Could some one through more light on this to me,.....

1) actually what it is,

2) why and under what all conditions a chick/egg becomes cold state,

3) visually we can make out by seeing whether a egg/chik is cold,

4) any treatments to bring these cold chick/egg back to its normal state,

5) how to avoid,

6) whether is it with in our control or only with parent birds, and

7) can we take any precautionary measures to totally avoid this from happening in first place.

Thanks for your reading and time. Sorry for asking too many questions as always I do :party0011:

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I have a question for you Karthik. Are you writing a book ? Or are you breeding budgies and just need to have all the facts ? :D

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

:D the good thing is that many of his questions really help us out with the FAQ's :P, but if you are writing a book make sure you give BBC and the members credit :wub: Edited by Elly

• Member ID:  4,035

I have a question for you Karthik. Are you writing a book ? Or are you breeding budgies and just need to have all the facts ? :D

No Kaz and also I don't have plans to do so, but planning to make some personal notes for my future reference and also if it is worth then probably publish it as an article in our BBC FAQ section. But I don't think so I have an option for it since our FAQ Officer is already doing it. :D

Here in my area we don't find any good knowledgeable breeders like over there, but I am really very happy to find this wonderful BBC forum with full of experienced helping members all the time. :) Actually I wish I should have been over your place. :D

:yes: the good thing is that many of his questions really help us out with the FAQ's :D , but if you are writing a book make sure you give BBC and the members credit :D

I am happy that atleast this way to very little extent I am helping BBC. Yes, absolutely credit goes to BBC, Moderators and Members, for whatever knowledge I have gained/gaining/going to gain in future. :D

Okay coming back to my actual posted questions regarding cold egg and chick, could you people please help me with the answers.

Edited by Karthik

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

Hello Everyone,

I have read few posts on the forums regarding cold egg and chicks. Could some one through more light on this to me,.....

1) actually what it is,

When they lose Body temp .....

When they aren't being warmed by either Hen or Brooder

Egg Not that I am aware of .... Baby Yes

Eggs have 30 min time frame roughly after that their chances of survial are grim ... Chick Yes Warmth ...

5) how to avoid,

Make sure that the hen is a good sitter - No frights etc

6) whether is it with in our control or only with parent birds, and

Depends if brooding ..YES Parent raising If you know what the signs are ....

7) can we take any precautionary measures to totally avoid this from happening in first place.

NO WHAT YOU ARE DOING & YOUR BIRDS

Thanks for your reading and time. Sorry for asking too many questions as always I do :party0011:

Thanks Neat :fear

So more chances of cold chicks is seen when the clutch has only one chick and hen is not sitting on it for more than 30 minutes time. I think this shouldn't be a problem when clutch has more than one chick, since chicks stay together closely and so they can keep warmth together, right.

Could you please tell me what is the visual symptoms of a cold chick.

Eggs have 30 min time frame roughly after that their chances of survial are grim ... Chick Yes Warmth ...

So assume for some reason we have to separate the hen for 1 hour from eggs, so whether we can temporarily place a 40 watt house lamp/bulb on top of these eggs at little far away in order to maintain the warmth in eggs during absence of the hen for 1 hour. Also for cold chick, how long we need to provide warmth and any ideas on how to do it?

• Member ID:  4,620
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  92
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  475

Thanks Neat :fear

So more chances of cold chicks is seen when the clutch has only one chick and hen is not sitting on it for more than 30 minutes time. I think this shouldn't be a problem when clutch has more than one chick, since chicks stay together closely and so they can keep warmth together, right.

Could you please tell me what is the visual symptoms of a cold chick.

So assume for some reason we have to separate the hen for 1 hour from eggs, so whether we can temporarily place a 40 watt house lamp/bulb on top of these eggs at little far away in order to maintain the warmth in eggs during absence of the hen for 1 hour. Also for cold chick, how long we need to provide warmth and any ideas on how to do it?

Hi, just a little more info. Over the years there have been times when I have discovered eggs and/or chicks cold and chicks apparently dead. I cup the egg or chick in my hands and breathe warm, moist air onto them. It is the most incredible experience when a "dead" chick comes back to life - not quite so obvious with an egg unless it is at the pipping stage and you can hear it. Sometimes the eggs/chicks are cold because parent bird has died, sometimes because they have been separated from the rest of the clutch. In the case of dead parent, foster the egg/chicks out elsewhere. If they have just been "mislaid" by the hen, put them back under her. I would not suggest a light bulb because that will dry out the egg; instead you could place the egg(s) wrapped lightly in cloth and placed in a container over a source of moist heat, such as hot water in a bowl (monitor temperature with thermometer). I also give a more generous time frame as (though I have no hard data to support it) I am certain I have restored eggs and chicks which have been cold for much longer intervals than 30 minutes. I believe another critical factor is when in the 18 days incubation the "cold" occurs. I believe that early after laying, and just before hatching they are more likely to survive. From experience, if fostering eggs out I will only move them in the first few days after laying, or when they are actually pipping. Movement in mid-incubation seems to be less successful - I am told it is because different hens incubate at slightly different temperatures. I feel this also has implications for the success or otherwise of warming up cold eggs. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks Jaznjj for sharing this.

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Another reason for cold chicks which is the most common for me is that sometimes when the hen gets out of the nest the or a chick might be caught in her feathers so it will fall to the floor. This has happened to me heaps of time and in full winter too -2 Degrees well in the morning when I have gone out to check them and feed them I have found babies ice cold on the floor and they have been saved by blowing my warm breath on them and cup it in my hand.

It is really amazing when you see them start to breath again and have a little kick and a little stretch

Thanks Splat.